Members - 0
Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Fresh Installation wi OS3.2 and Ibrowse crashes on startup

Author jewithers
Partaker
#1 Posted: 23 Jun 2021 02:51 
So, I installed Amikit fresh again (4th time now), and while most thing work, Ibrowse crashes immediately upon startup. Unlike the other Ibrowse crash thread, I can not even get into the configuration settings to change from internal to external datatypes.

It seems no matter what I do I am not able to get Amikit in a stable state.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:40 
jewithers:
So, I installed Amikit fresh again (4th time now), and while most thing work, Ibrowse crashes immediately upon startup. Unlike the other Ibrowse crash thread, I can not even get into the configuration settings to change from internal to external datatypes.

You can delete (or rather rename) AmiKit:Internet/IBrowse/IBrowse.prefs file to see whether it helps - and then configure IBrowse again and save new settings. Or you might want to re-install IBrowse completely.

jewithers:
It seems no matter what I do I am not able to get Amikit in a stable state.

As you were already told in the other thread, VampireFlash is not supported. AmiKit with OS3.2 is rock stable providing you install it and use it according to its manual.

Author jewithers
Partaker
#3 Posted: 24 Jun 2021 20:03 
This is not an issue with VampireFlash. I am past that issue and the workaround for Vampire Flash is a simple commenting out of the Version checks at the beginning of the startup sequence.

I found the issue with Ibrowse. It is the fact that there are a lot of missing libraries in the MUI 5.0 installation, which I could confirm with SnoopDos. Changing to MUI 3.8 and it works fine. These libraries are missing from the beginning of a fresh installation, so I believe my download has them either missing (unlikely) or they are corrupted in a way that allows the installation to finish (most likely), but the third party MUI libraries (like the Lamp.mcc) are all missing and once an app tries to call them the entire machine locks up. I have noticed the same behavior with other apps, so it seems the MUI 5.0 installation is the issue.

So, Can I get a fresh download of the LZX file? Otherwise I will replace the missing libraries manually and build a valid pre-install partition with what I have at the moment.

Author jewithers
Partaker
#4 Posted: 24 Jun 2021 20:58 Edited by: jewithers 
so, issue solved. I replaced the MUI5 installation with a fresh download and changed all in app animations to 256 color. I also changed the screen mode from 16Bit to 24Bit.

While under MUI3.8 I was able to change it to use the external data types.

All of this together has it now working as expected. A it less eye-candy, but at least now it runs without crashing.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 24 Jun 2021 22:16 
Hi, I've just re-activated your LZX download.

The thing with the missing/corrupted files is very strange and it most likely explains the general instability you're experiencing.

I just checked the content of the LZX archive and I can confirm that both Lamp.mcc (29,149 bytes) and Lamp.mcp (12,156 bytes) files are there.

Please check the size of your downloaded LZX archive. It should be 345,620,139 bytes. Also make sure you used regular LZX to uninstall the archive according to the Quick Guide, page 5. Using some other unarchivers might result in an corrupted extracted content.

Author jewithers
Partaker
#6 Posted: 25 Jun 2021 04:01 
Thanks for the download. I will unpack it and see if the files are ok.

Overall still however very happy with AmiKit. I especially like Dracula that allows for quick changes. That in itself is worth it.

Author jewithers
Partaker
#7 Posted: 1 Jul 2021 05:41 
So I tried the new download and this file has even more corrupted files than the last one.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 2 Jul 2021 00:40 Edited by: AmiKit 
Would you mind telling me how exactly did you extract the archive?

I've just downloaded the archive using your personal download page (just to make sure we're downloading the same file) and then I extracted it without any files being corrupted. At the end of the extraction procces the LZX reported:
** 26676 file(s) extracted, all files OK
Operation successful.

I used the 020 version of the following LZX version.

Please note that LZX might throw a false error message when extracting empty folders (something like "LZX Error writiting to disk: Disk full?"). But that is a harmless bug of LZX. In reality even those empty folders are extracted correctly.

Why don't you join our Discord channel where we can chat live? Even the other users can help you out over there almost instantly.

Author jewithers
Partaker
#9 Posted: 2 Jul 2021 03:45 
I am on the discord channel, I will try there.

To answer your questions. I download the archive on a Macbook Pro, as I do not have a PC and getting the file using an Amiga Browser is a hit of a challenge. I then FTP the file to the Amiga 1200 and put it on my prepared AmiKit partition. I use the LZX command as shown in the installation guide.

I do not get a disk full error. What I get are files being skipped because they are corrupted very early on and I do jot even get to the end as it exits because of to many errors.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 2 Jul 2021 08:19 Edited by: AmiKit 
Since the archive got extracted without any errors on my side, it seems that either your FTP connection is corrupting the transferred files or the filesystem of your Amiga partition is set up wrong. In HDToolBox, check whether the MaxTransfer and other values are set correctly there. Or perhaps just the particular media your Amiga partition is on (a CF card?) is not reliable?

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Fresh Installation wi OS3.2 and Ibrowse crashes on startup

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑