Members - 0
Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Amikit and pi400

Author bix66
Partaker
#1 Posted: 2 Apr 2021 18:24 
Hi, I recently bought Amikit version AmiKit XE 3 Years Updates & Support, I also downloaded the Cloanto ROMs (Amiga Forever) and I installed everything. I only find some lag in moving the windows (both in Manjaro Linux and AmiKit) for the rest I am studying.
But I can't get my .lha or .adf files to run ....
Can you please tell me how to insert these files in Amikit and run them?
Thanks so much

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 2 Apr 2021 20:17 
Hi Silvio, first of all, thank you for your purchase and support!

Regarding the window moving lag, the following note is mentioned on my website in FAQ > Limitations. Is it what you had in mind?

"Linux windows make "ghosts" effects when moving them. You can always prevent that by enabling "display compositing" in "Compositor" tab of "Windows Manager Tweaks" settings, but be advised that it also decreases the Amiga emulation speed considerably."

Regarding .lha or .adf files - this heavily depends on your overall AmigaOS knowledge.

I created some tutorial videos which might help you understand some specific areas. For example how to unpack an LHA archive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY5kiVzLBC8&list=PLxEnP5UUSCcREBN5C0aCC-zZ5H_gK4FTV

ADF files are floppy disk images usually including a game or demo. They can be "inserted" to Amiberry emulator and booted (even without AmiKit!). If you want to launch them from AmiKit, they can be installed using WHDLoad installer. Try to google some basics first. Or join us on Discord where the community can help you live. Just click the Discord link on your personal download page.

Author bix66
Partaker
#3 Posted: 2 Apr 2021 20:46 
Thank you very much for the answers.
I'll try to check how much you reported to me and I'll let you know.
Good evening

Author bix66
Partaker
#4 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 01:16 
I solved for the window lag, thanks for the directions.
I don't understand how to use WHDLoad ... I find it in the Amikit folders but I can't find anywhere icons to use it ...
How you do it?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 08:57 Edited by: AmiKit 
Was it about the "Ghost" effect? Note that enabling "window compositing" decreased AmiKit speed a lot.

Explaining how WHDLoad works is really beyond the purpose of this Support Forum which is about AmiKit.

I recommend to read WHDLoad documentation at www.whdload.de, watch videos on YouTube, check the general Amiga forums like www.amigaworld.net or www.amiga.org or join our Discord community for online chat with other AmiKit users as I proposed in my previous post.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 13:25 Edited by: AmiKit 
For your convenience, here's a basic manual how to run ADF games in WinUAE on Windows.
The Amiberry used in AmiKit on Raspberry Pi is, actually, based on WinUAE so it behaves similarly:

https://youtu.be/ezzqSm9fA6M?t=130

https://www.howtoretro.com/winuae-setup-amiga-emulator/

http://guide.abime.net/gguides/winuaea.htm
http://guide.abime.net/gguides/winuaeb.htm

Author bix66
Partaker
#7 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 16:44 
Thank you very much for the answers.
I check all the material you have recommended to me.
Thanks so much.

Author bix66
Partaker
#8 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 20:01 
Hi, I have read and seen many videos to use WHDLoad ..
I understand that the forum is supportive to Amikit but I think many people want to use this OS to play old Amiga games and above all in a simple way without going crazy looking for a way to run your own games on Amikit ....
Not everyone is an expert in the Amiga world and all these difficulties do not help to understand how to best use Amikit. I understand and agree with all the restrictions for the use of kickstart (buy on Amiga forever at 25 euros ....) but I do not understand all these difficulties to be able to use the Amiga software. Surely it is I who am not capable but now I think I have wasted time and money.
Patience.
Thanks for the work you do and for the explanations but this SO is not for me

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 20:13 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Silvio, I understand your frustration. Amiga is not so easy to use - especially for someone who doesn't have much knowledge about it. But it's beautiful OS once you get all the basics. I felt in love with it - and that's why AmiKit was created - I simply wanted to enhance it as much as possible. It's not only about games, it's about all the Amiga programs and their integration, etc. etc.

Anyway, if you want to play Amiga games only, perhaps Amiga Forever would be enough for you. There are plenty of games pre-installed.

There are about 25 games in AmiKit too, for example the legendary Another World or Deluxe Galaga are just few of them. But in general, like I mentioned above, AmiKit is more about the advanced Amiga environment mostly for skilled Amiga users. Like a retro racing car with all the bells and whistles.

If you don't know how to drive a racing car, that's OK. I can refund you. Just drop me an email.

Author bix66
Partaker
#10 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 01:23 
Hi, I broke my head but in the end I won !!
Now I can use my Amiga software (.lha format) without any problems.
Thank you for the information which was very useful for me to understand and solve.
I still congratulate you on this beautiful project and please continue to implement it because on my Pi400 it's like having my dear old Amiga 600.
Thank you very much

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Amikit and pi400

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑