AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Amiga Experience
 Start Register Search Statistics Quick Guide  
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

AmiKit on AtariVCS/Linux what distro to use? Possible to test first with older AmiKit versions?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author gheller
Partaker
#16 Posted: 20 Apr 2022 04:03 
Well I sure hope wine mono is not necessary, because I've skipped it. The installation might actually finish this time.

Author gheller
Partaker
#17 Posted: 20 Apr 2022 04:31 
The installation has finished. So far as I can tell wine mono is not necessary. The trick seems to be to reboot and have nothing else running when installing Wine-6, (which is a problem because you know all those long-winded installation instructions....can't view them while I'm installing), and skip wine mono. It took 8 hours. A full day of my time. And I haven't even tried to edit the footage yet. I think there will be a lot of intertitles that say things like «THIS DIDN'T WORK DON'T DO IT!»

Author gheller
Partaker
#18 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 20:42 
Also I'm not getting any audio. I didn't have any trouble getting audio with the old version. I'll have a look through the forums, but I was kinda hoping to do a livestream today messing around with the included games and programs. I'm probably not going to do that if I have to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting the sound. Sound's pretty important for streaming games and such. I know I'm getting Ubuntu sounds, like the bell sound it makes when I'm typing in a terminal and hit backspace one too many times.

Author gheller
Partaker
#19 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 20:54 
It looks like sound was disabled by default in the settings. I don't know why that was. However, enabling it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Author gheller
Partaker
#20 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 20:56 
Anyhow, I've managed to sift through the 8-hours of footage of the install and make a semi-coherent video. It's still 50 minutes long though. I'll be posting that in an hour or two here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW4qWoZQMZE

Might be a little longer depending on how long it takes me to do the closed captioning.

Author gheller
Partaker
#21 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 21:14 
Perhaps this will help you diagnose the sound problem. When, for instance, I try to run ArtKanoid, every time a sound would play I get a message:

«Unable to open ahi.device!»

Author gheller
Partaker
#22 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 21:36 
Additionally, I find that enabling the sound does not stick. If I enable the sound from the configuration and click Start, then hit F12, the sound settings are shown as disabled once again. If I enable them, and click OK, then hit F12 again, they are again shown to be disabled. As I mentioned earlier, sounds are enabled in Ubuntu. I get the terminal ding loud and clear, but no sound from AmiKit.

I remember when I tried installed Wine 7.00 (didn't work as Playonlinux couldn't find the installation) I found some information about needing to install some sound libraries for recent versions of Wine as they were not included in the repository for some reason. But the instructions only applied to normally installed versions of wine, not ones installed via Playonlinux. I guess I assumed that PlayOnLinux would either use the sound libraries I installed when I installed Wine 7.0, or install them itself, and the instructions I have are only about how to intall those sound libraries on a regular Wine installation, not one that was installed through playonlinux. Does this sound like it could be the problem? If so, any idea how to do the install?

Author wwinfrey
Partaker
#23 Posted: 21 Apr 2022 21:51 
One thing you might consider, rather than running AmiKit in WinUAE using Wine, get AmiKit up and running in FS-UAE (you can start here: https://fs-uae.net/docs/amikit). Then you won't have to go through all the unrelated hassles of emulating OS system calls and everything else Wine does, and can focus on getting the UAE configuration correct. It'll probably be faster, and make sorting out things like audio less of a headache.

Author gheller
Partaker
#24 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 00:02 
Well, the video is posted. Doesn't look like I'm going to have time to stream Amiga games tonight. Haven't found a sound solution. Also I'm running into trouble with some of the Amiga games needing additional ROMs. I'm not sure what these ROMs are. Are they game ROMs? Different versions of the Amiga ROMs? And where am I supposed to put them?

Author gheller
Partaker
#25 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 00:06 
I'd love to get Amikit working on a native Linux version of UAE. But given it comes with an .msi installer, I'm going to have to install Wine anyway before it will install. I believe. Having gone through that rigamarole, I'm hesitant to go through a whole other rigamarole. Unless no one knows how to get sound working under WinUAE/Wine, which I have already installed. I've paid for this Linux version, and support for it through these forums, not for support for a native Linux version of UAE, so I can't really expect help from this community or this author with that. Though I have to say if I were him, I wouldn't be claiming to support Linux if the Linux version is just the Windows version running on Wine. If I were him, I'd either not sell a Linux version, or I'd make a Linux version that installs and runs on Linux's version of UAE. But I'm not him. I'm just some dude trying to get his software to work so I can make videos. I'm gonna give him and this community a chance to help me fix the problems, like they're supposed to do. For at least like a week.

Author gheller
Partaker
#26 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 03:42 
Can anyone even tell me whether this is a AmiKit problem, a Wine Problem, a PlayonLinux Problem or a ubuntu Problem? Or like how to figure out which one it is?

Author wwinfrey
Partaker
#27 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 08:03 
gheller:
But given it comes with an .msi installer, I'm going to have to install Wine anyway before it will install. I believe.
gheller:
I've paid for this Linux version, and support for it through these forums, not for support for a native Linux version of UAE, so I can't really expect help from this community or this author with that.
It may be helpful to look at this process in two stages:

1. The installation and initial configuration of AmiKit XE
2. Running AmiKit XE

Those two things do not have to happen on the same computer, because the outcome of Step 1 is basically an .HDF hardfile that you can move where needed so that you can get to Step 2 and run it with whatever will work.

I suggest that you take the MSI, and run it wherever you'll have the best chance of success of producing that HDF hardfile; then follow the steps in the link I posted, or the steps listed here: https://espenskogblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/13/amikit-xe-on-fs-uae/

If I were in your situation, rather than try and set everything up in a debugging-compromised environment, I would:

A. build AmiKit XE on a Window VM, then
B. create an Ubuntu VM, copy the HDF files over there and get it running under FS-UAE, and once I had the configuration settings correct,
C. take the HDF produced by A., and the conf files produced by B., copy them to a thumb drive, and then boot into Ubuntu on the VCS, install FS-UAE, and then try and run it.

Doing everything on the VCS seems like a drag

Author AmiKit
Admin
#28 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 08:34 
gheller:
I've paid for this Linux version, and support for it through these forums
You downloaded the free X version and it did not work for you. Most likely because your HW/SW is not an industry standard PC and thus it's unsupported. But you went ahead and purchased the XE version anyway. Now you demand support using the very same HW. I don't get it and I cannot help you, sorry.

Despite my terms and condition, I am offering you a refund. Please let me know your decision within the next 48 hours.

Thank you.
Ján, author of AmiKit

Author gheller
Partaker
#29 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 16:41 
The free version did work. I got it to work. It took weeks, but I got it to work. That's why I purchased the new version. But It didn't work. I'm not demanding anything. I'm just telling you what I think you should do, what I would do if I were you. but I'm not you. You have to decide for yourself what to do.

Author gheller
Partaker
#30 Posted: 22 Apr 2022 16:45 
And like I said, I'm giving it a week. Maybe someone else here will know what is going on.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 AmiKit on AtariVCS/Linux what distro to use? Possible to test first with older AmiKit versions?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑