AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Amiga Experience
 Start Register Search Statistics Quick Guide  
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Clock Freezes

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#1 Posted: 21 Jul 2022 18:02 
The clock freezes the OS in Flowerpot after updating Amigaos 4.1 FE to update 2 hotfix. Fresh install of OS and I install all the updates in order. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 21 Jul 2022 23:02 
Hello, which platform is it - Windows, Mac or Linux?
Also what clock do you have in mind exactly?

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#3 Posted: 22 Jul 2022 00:23 
It's on Windows 11 the clock is the one in the utilities folder. Interestingly it doesn't happen in Amiga Forever also with fresh install and all the updates applied. another interesting bit is if you enable compositing effects in GUI preferences it doesn't freeze when you start the clock but the rest of the gui is messed up with black boxes instead of some windows and icons. I guess a clock is not all that important, but I fear it may be the tip of the iceberg and may explain why Amigaos 4.1 FE seems to be very unstable in general.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 25 Jul 2022 00:02 
Hello, Amiga Forever is based on AmigaOS3 and 68k emulation while the AmigaOS4 is based on PPC emulation - hence completely different architecture and thus incomparable.

Anyway, WinUAE emulates AmigaOS4 pretty good so I am not sure where the problem is. Perhaps the behavior is the same even on real PPC Amiga machine? Who knows.

Is the issue there even before installing the Update 2? Or is it happening only after the Update 2 is installed?

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#5 Posted: 25 Jul 2022 14:57 
I'm sorry but you are mistaken Amiga Forever 9 does emulate the A4000 with the CyberStorm PPC expansion card. As I mentioned before I have AmigaOS4.1 FE with all the updates installed in Amiga Forever and it doesn't have the problem and I doubt that the clock included in the OS would lockup a real Amiga PPC machine. The issue happens after installing the last update update 2 hotfix. I ran into this issue previously, so I uninstalled flowerpot and reinstalled to start fresh, so I checked after installing AmigaOS 4.1 FE and I checked after every update without issue until update 2 hotfix and the issue returned. I suspected the video system, so I just now changed the video card to PiccasoIV and I was able to open the clock without issue. Of course that is not the best solution because then I can't get my monitors full resolution which is why I purchased FlowerPot in the first place.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 26 Jul 2022 00:47 
Ah, you're right. When you said Amiga Forever I thought you mean the emulation it provides out of the box - which is AmigaOS3. Now I realized it also enables AmigaOS4 emulation if you provide your own AmigaOS4 files.

Anyway, both FlowerPot and Amiga Forever use the very same WinUAE emulator. Check whether there is the latest version in FlowerPot. If not, download 32-bit WinUAE ZIP archive from www.winuae.net and copy the winuae.exe to FlowerPot (and overwrite the old executable there).

If it doesn't solve the issue then I think it must be something in the WinUAE configuration. You can compare the config used in Amiga Forever vs. the one in FlowerPot. I'll do that as soon as I get back from vacation.

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#7 Posted: 26 Jul 2022 14:25 
WinUAE is the latest version. I tried to match the settings in FlowerPot to Amiga Forever as best I could but the only setting that makes any difference is changing the graphics card from UAE (Zorro III) to Piccaso IV (Zorro III). I wonder if my specific computer configuration is causing the issue. My computer specs are: Asrock X570M Pro4 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x cpu, 128GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro nvme ssd, XFX Radeon 5700xt Raw II video card and a LG 27GL850 27« UltraGear monitor. I also have additional drives, but I think they're irrelevant. If you need some more specific information let me know. Thanks for trying to figure this out with me.

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#8 Posted: 15 Aug 2022 22:43 
It's probably not the video card I upgraded to a Nvidia RTX 3070 FE and it still has the problem.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 26 Sep 2022 14:21 
Hello,

first of all please apologize my super late response. Meanwhile my Macbook Pro has been destroyed by my cat by spilling a whole cup of coffee on it... And I got to my desktop computer just yesterday.

Anyway, I can confirm the Clock app freezes on my Windows 10, RTX3080, FlowerPot, OS4.1 update 2.

However it does not happen all the time. Sometimes I am able to launch and close the clock app several times before it freezes, sometimes it freezes on the first run, or when I resize the app window. Very strange, indeed.

Can you please confirm that on your side the freeze ALWAYS happens on the first launch of the Clock app?
Also, can you confirm it ALWAYS works in Amiga Forever? Especially if you repeatedly launch, resize and close the Clock app?

Thank you.
Jan

Author TAJ69PR
Partaker
#10 Posted: 15 Nov 2022 19:34 
So far it has always frozen on the first try on FlowerPot and it has always worked in Amiga Forever. I didn't have the problem however when I changed the graphics card from UAE (Zorro III) to Piccaso IV (Zorro III) in WinUAE though FlowerPot.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Clock Freezes

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑