AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Amiga Experience
 Begin Register Reply Search Statistics Quick Guide  
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Printing and connecting to Windows network using Amikit for Rpi400

Author ianoakley
Partaker
#1 Posted: 3 Apr 2021 22:09 
Hope the title is self explanatory but I'd like to connect to my network printer but cannot find any setting (presumably in Linux) and secondly how do I get Amikit Pi recognised on my Windows network as that would be useful to transfer files.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 00:36 
Hi Ian, interesting questions! Personally I've never tried any of those so I am afraid I am not much of help here.
But in general, both things depend on the Manjaro Linux host and its drivers, not AmiKit. Therefore try using "Manjaro XFCE Raspberry" keywords while googling for a solution.
Btw. for transferring files you can use Google Drive or Dropbox - there are native AmigaOS drivers installed in AmiKit. You need to register them, though.

Author ianoakley
Partaker
#3 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 08:48 
I will dig for a solution because the rabbit hole apps rely on Linux - I've installed other Linux os on my pi400 and the printing and network settings work. And for example with Retropie you type \\retropie on the PC and you can access the folders, great for transferring games! Drop box and Google drive are useful and I looked at those. Printing has been the curse of the Amiga for years, never found an easy solution with my next gen Amigas. It would be heaven if all could be achieved with Amikit. That aside Amikit for Pi is outstanding - the curse of the Amiga, modern web browser and office suite solved and enough grunt for video and music playback.

Author ianoakley
Partaker
#4 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 15:34 
Network side sorted, very handy! If you use show pi and then files you can browse the network. I've copied Amiga stuff onto a NAS drive and that should enable me to transfer them to an Amikit folder.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:32 
I am glad you sorted out, more or less. Btw. how exactly is Retropie visible on PC? I would be cool to achieve that with Manjaro. So far I was using USB Flash Sticks for file transfers... yeah, a bit lame but it worked

Author ianoakley
Partaker
#6 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:51 

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:59 
Thanks! Let's see if I can add it to the following AmiKit updates.

Author ianoakley
Partaker
#8 Posted: 4 Apr 2021 21:33 
There isn't much room to fit two flash drives so this is a great solution. And of course you can save documents on the Pi and copy them to Windows (or Mac) and that solves the printing conundrum. I've learnt so much about the Pi with the Rpi400 - booting from memory stick/SSD is so much better than those fiddly micro sd cards and the imager tool just simplifies things.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Printing and connecting to Windows network using Amikit for Rpi400

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑