AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Amiga Experience
 Begin Register Reply Search Statistics Quick Guide  
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 324 [28 Nov 2019 07:12]
Guests - 324 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Amikit performance on MacBook Air 2013 (1.6 GHz Intel Core i5)

Author kcolbinyar
Partaker
#1 Posted: 29 Sep 2020 23:52 
Hi.

My little Air with 13" screen seems like the perfect laptop size for a beautiful Amiga machine via AmiKit. I have AmiKit XE (Crystal too, which is a sweet device, nicely made and heavy - feels good). I downgraded my Mac to Mojave to run AmiKit (and today I get a msg saving it now works with Catalina! - oh well, stay with Mojave for now). It runs well, but makes my machine run quite hard and maybe a little hot: the fans are spinning like crazy sometimes. Apart from turning the WinUAE cpu speed down, any other tips for keeping it cooler?

More important for me right now though, is, what would AmiKit XE with AmigaOS4 FE run like on this machine? Any ideas? Would you recommend it and any thoughts on install and keeping it from spontaneously bursting into flames? . What I'd really like to be able to do is run 'just' AmigaOS4 FE on the Mac and nothing else, no MacOS (I only bought it because of it's size, weight and battery - and I'm not a lover of Windows, just for Steam and GoG gaming really). I know that can't happen, but it's a nice dream.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 30 Sep 2020 00:06 
Hey Ray!

I am afraid that the emulation is a common problem on Mac and Windows laptops too. It happens on my Macbook Pro as well. The only thing you can do is to decrease the CPU power in WinUAE/CPU settings.

Regarding the emulation of OS4, that one requires even more CPU power and Macbook Air is not an ideal candidate for that, you know. What you can try is to port your FlowerPot to FS-UAE instead - it might be faster, but I haven't tried it myself yet. Here's a guide we're still working on if you want to try it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-H_PU7ZAE9UokgpgEPLTDCnUAc1eXONLumk1scpKeu8/edit?usp=sharing

Best regards,
Jan

Author kcolbinyar
Partaker
#3 Posted: 1 Oct 2020 11:41 
Cheers Jan and thanks for the reply. I'll give it a read and think. May just stick to using my desktop machine.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Amikit performance on MacBook Air 2013 (1.6 GHz Intel Core i5)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑