Most users ever online: 717 [7 Feb 2021 09:33]
Guests - 717 / Members - 0
Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /  

64-bit Amikit for MacOS Catalina

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author AmiKit
Admin
#16 Posted: 31 Dec 2019 17:12 
Like I said, if you have Crossover 19, I can give you FlowerPot for Windows so you can try it on your Mac.

Author danica_talos
Partaker
#17 Posted: 1 Jan 2020 12:23 
Yes, i have Crossover 19....

Is the Windows-Version of FlowerPot a trial or full version? How can i migrate the mac-version of my amigaos 4 install to the windows version?

[imgs= ]Crossover 19[/imgs]

Author AmiKit
Admin
#18 Posted: 1 Jan 2020 12:52 
I've just sent you an email.

To use your current OS4 setup, simply copy FlowerPot.hdf from Mac install to CrossOver install. You can find the file in FlowerPot\FlowerPot folder.

Let me know how it worked, please.

Author danica_talos
Partaker
#19 Posted: 2 Jan 2020 11:00 
Good Morning! You have a mail

My FlowerPot install (Mac) works with Crossover 19 in a Bottle.

Author danica_talos
Partaker
#20 Posted: 5 Jan 2020 13:02 
AmigaOS 4 ruulz!

Author wahodges
Partaker
#21 Posted: 24 Jan 2020 02:42 
I just saw that the new version of Wine has been released (5.0). Does anyone know if this includes the code to support 32-bit software? (Needed for Amikit to work on Catalina)

I'm open to buying the Codeweaver software if required but would prefer a free Wine solution if possible.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#22 Posted: 24 Jan 2020 16:03 
Hi wahodges,

Wine 5 does not support 32-bit software under Catalina. The only solution is Crossover 19 at the moment. I am also waiting for free Wine with 32-bit support so I can include it with AmiKit and FlowerPot.

Author sprocket12
Partaker
#23 Posted: 23 Mar 2020 14:38 
Hi all. I wanted to check on this since it has been quite some time. I have had to upgrade to Catalina and wanted to know what choices do I have. Are we close? What's the current status? is there a timeline?

Thank you,
-T

Author AmiKit
Admin
#24 Posted: 23 Mar 2020 15:00 
Hi T!

here you are the possibilities we all have right now:

- not to update to Catalina yet (obviously that's not a solution for you anymore)

- to run a Windows version of AmiKit XE using Crossover 19 on your Mac Catalina. Crossover 19 is paid application, though.

- to try an unofficial solution - to replace WinUAE emulation engine by FS-UAE in AmiKit: http://bit.ly/AmiKit-on-FS-UAE

- to use two partitions on your Mac. One with Catalina and the other one with Mojave+AmiKit. Fortunately the new Apple's APFS filesystem allows creating new partitions on the fly (without touching existing partitions). The additional partitions don't take any fixed disk space either. They are only as big as the data saved on them. I myself use this option on my Macbook.

Since AmiKit is running on Mac thanks to Wine, please note that I, the author of AmiKit, cannot do much about Catalina support. I, as everybody else, have to wait for a Wine version compatible with Catalina... https://www.winehq.org/

Author robwired
Partaker
#25 Posted: 26 May 2020 07:43 
I looked into running Amikit on my Mac a while ago but dont want to go through all the trouble of installing a Mojave partition or having Wine or any Microsoft software on my Catalina machine.

The tutorial to install Amikit under FS-UAE is really well written but its still a lot of work.

There are always going to be problems with running WinUAE under Wine and well, there just isnt any reason for this, is there?

What benefits does a user get in running WinUAE under Wine vs running FS-UAE natively?

The continued development, waiting and annoyance of doing it under Wine when FS-UAE exists seems really wrong.

Any chance that Amikit could just be released for FS-UAE?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#26 Posted: 26 May 2020 10:58 
Hello,

I understand your position (and frustration). Please let me tell you few facts so you can understand mine.

AmiKit is being developed on WinUAE since 2002. That means it works on WinUAE where, in addition, it uses some special features it provides (like RabbitHole, dynamic hardfiles, etc.) that FS-UAE doesn't have. Once I decided to port AmiKit to Linux and Mac, I chose Wine simply because it allows to run AmiKit on the same WinUAE engine as on Windows. That means 100% compatibility across the platforms. That means, from a developer point of view, that I am maintaining only one instance of the AmiKit and then it automagically works on other platforms too. Otherwise I would have to maintain two or three different instances, each one running on different emulation engine, each one requiring different approach, different files, different updates, etc. That would require extra testing too, and much more of my time to manage everything, of course. If I was selling thousands, or at least hundreds of copies, maybe it would be worth - I could hire someone to maintain such port(s) or I could even quit my regular job and do it myself. But meanwhile, I am only a one man here, with two hands, one wife and one hobby project.

To make the long story short, given the arguments above, it's quite unlikely that I would release AmiKit XE for Mac based on a completely different emulation engine like FS-UAE. Don't get me wrong - it's just that my time is limited and I would rather spend it on AmiKit updates (which I actually do - I am working on a free 11.3 live update right now).

Hope you understand,
Jan

EDIT: AmiKit now supports macOS Catalina! https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/macwrapper

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Mac related questions AmiKit Support Forum / Mac related questions /
 64-bit Amikit for MacOS Catalina

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑