AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Miscellaneous topics AmiKit Support Forum / Miscellaneous topics /  

Amikit launched from USB key

Author Tarzin
Partaker
#1 Posted: 7 Dec 2006 11:26 
Hello,

Don't know if somebody has already tried but I've installed Amikit on my 1Go USB key.

Installation is a bit longer than on my HD but it's working.
Amikit is booting without any problem.

Hope I could use my "Amiga" on every PC (somebody reported me that it works)

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 7 Dec 2006 17:42 Edited by: AmiKit 
That's a great idea Tarzin! Maybe it would be worth to create some kind of "lite" version suitable for USB keys. Anyway, I would recommend to use hardfile with USB keys to reduce the disk load/save operations. Hardfile is much faster when it comes to loading files.

Author Tarzin
Partaker
#3 Posted: 8 Dec 2006 10:58 
Hi!

1) a lite version, why not? Another idea which could be used even with AmiKit is to develop a "clean up" tool.
When AmiKit is installed, all catalogs, help files in many languages are installed. I don't think that it's usefull. Could it be possible to have a tool which erase all unnecessary files ?
I've deleted them by hand and it speeds up amistart because Amistart don't have to preload all help files.

2) May be I'll try a hardfile but for the moment I like the ability to navigate throught all directories.
I told it was slow because USB port on this test machine is only 1.1 and not 2.0. It's quite speed.

I'll try to boot on another PC tomorrow.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 9 Dec 2006 16:56 
1) AmiStart is NOT configured to preload all the data (icons) on system start. AmiStart loads the data only when requested, it means when the certain drawer is opened. This behaviour is set by LATELOAD tooltype.

2) I am thinking about the hardfile USB version of AmiKit which would fit to 128 or 256 MB USB key. The hardfile speed should be much better compared to directory filesystem.

Author Tarzin
Partaker
#5 Posted: 10 Dec 2006 08:22 
Hi,

1) Preload was no the right word. When you click on Start bar, menu appears.
Point on the help files menu and you'll see that before displaying menu, Amistart have to load all help files when it's a directory.
Amistart is configued to load directory help from workbench before displaying, that means all help files. Iy tou delete unused files (others langages), you'll see that Amistart is faster (only to display help files menu, otherwise it's the same speed)

2) Great! If you delete, mods, demos and some other things. I'll try from my side a hardfile with full Amikit version (but I've to finish some translations before )

Miscellaneous topics AmiKit Support Forum / Miscellaneous topics /
 Amikit launched from USB key

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑