AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Problematic filenames in AmiKit.zip installation archive

Author arnljot
Partaker
#1 Posted: 15 Dec 2009 12:50 
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49505

I do not know if it's WinUAE or AmiKit archive which is the problem.

But after install I cannot access AWeb_APL/Catalogs/espanol and several other folders from the Amiga side.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 15 Dec 2009 22:03 Edited by: AmiKit 
Thank you for your report. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've reported it Toni some time ago (the last working version of WinUAE is 1.6.0). I hope he can fix it with your help.

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#3 Posted: 16 Dec 2009 15:42 
The WinUAE NTFS file support has never worked right.

That is why, if you want your Amiga software to actually work, you must run it from a hardfile (.hdf).

My own game that I wrote can't run from a WinUAE NTFS filesystem for various reasons. The same reasons appy to all other Amiga software.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 16 Dec 2009 15:57 
However the described "espanol" wasn't any problem in WinUAE 1.6.0 and earlier releases.

Author arnljot
Partaker
#5 Posted: 17 Dec 2009 12:42 
I have tested the AmiKit.zip file directly as a "hardfile", it's the zip file which is present in Amikit-linux-latest.gz

That works flawlessly.

It seems to me it's the AmiKit installer which extracts espa?ol as espańol. WinRar extracts that archive as espa?ol.

So it could either be the extraction during install which creates an illegal character ("ń") or the compression when the installer is assembled.

Author arnljot
Partaker
#6 Posted: 17 Dec 2009 12:45 
PS, earlier releases <1.6.1 ignore folders where files or windows folders contain illegal characters.

So in WinUAE on the Amiga side, you will see those directories or files.

In WinUAE >1.6.0 WinUAE attemts to convert ń to the appropriate unicode character. But since it's a non existent character, windows returns "n" for that Window folders name, so when Amiga tries to access it as "n", it gets a file not found error.

Author arnljot
Partaker
#7 Posted: 17 Dec 2009 12:48 
@AmiKit

So we have two options, if my assumption that it's corruption in either compression og decompression in relations to the installer:

1)
Fix the install routine, either at compression or decompression

2)
Change the use to a hardfile for AmiKit. WinUAE supports dynamic hardfiles, sparse hardfiles. Perhaps that's the way to go. Or does the win side of AmiKit need file access to the Amiga side?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 19 Dec 2009 14:19 Edited by: AmiKit 
Please note this problem is NOT AmiKit specific. It's related to certain Windows configuration (language config).

Yes, hardfile would be a way to go to avoid this problem but it would require a lot of effort to change the default AmiKit distribution from HDD to hardfile. Add-on installers would need to be changed as well. I would prefer the new WinUAE to be "fixed", because like I said there was no such a problem with older versions.

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Problematic filenames in AmiKit.zip installation archive

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑