AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Amikit freezes -> logfile?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Clyde
Partaker
#1 Posted: 6 Mar 2009 12:22 
Hi there,

now that I know how to enable logging in WinUAE I want you to ask whether Amikit itself also creates log files. It is a bit hard to explain now, but Amikit freezes under certain but reproducable circumstances. And I have no idea, why.
I am developing the hw4cubic package, in order to comfortably program Hollywood with Cubic IDE. Now I have trouble with a new feature - compiler output of Hollywood is forwarded to a container in golded. And this causes the crashes ...

Any help is highly appreciated!

Greetings

Author Clyde
Partaker
#2 Posted: 6 Mar 2009 23:35 
Ok, I made a test with a clean OS3.9 install under WinUAE, BoingBag 1+2, Picasso96, AHI and AfA_OS. With that install I don't get the crash'n'freeze! So it seems it really has sth to do with Amikit.

Well, the output that is forwared to golded is made via a arexx port. Don't know, whether this information helps ...

Thanks in advance!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 7 Mar 2009 07:32 Edited by: AmiKit 
Let's hunt the bug!

I would say it is enough to identify the program or patch that is directly or indirectly responsible for the freeze. The standard way I used during development of AmiKit is "interpolation". Simply I disabled half of the programs/patches that are run during AmiKit boot up process (WBStartup and/or startup-sequence). If it helps then I knew I disabled the right part. Then I enabled half of the disabled part and tried again, etc. until I identified the sole program or patch that is responsible for the problem.

First of all I would recommend to use MorpheuZ program to switch to some 24bit theme. This will automatically disable three patches in startup-sequence.

If it doesn't help then simply rename WBStartup folder to disable all programs there and reboot. (In this case you might have to quit the boot picture manually when AmiKit starts. This is because the automatic close program is in WBStartup which is now disabled when renamed).

If the same freeze still appears, edit startup-sequence and disable some patches and try again. (Maybe it's good idea to backup the original startup-sequence file so you can revert the changes easily even from Windows side).

Please let me know the result. I suspect MCP (in WBStartup) or AfA_OS ("C:AfA_OS_Loader" in startup-sequence). If MCP is the case than it is enough to disable one of its particular patch in Prefs/MCPPrefs. If AfA_OS is the case then we ask its author for help. He's very active and always willing to fix the bugs people discover.

Author Toni Wilen
#4 Posted: 7 Mar 2009 09:36 
Also run in windowed mode and have winuae's log window open (-log command line parameter), there may be some hints.

Author Clyde
Partaker
#5 Posted: 8 Mar 2009 21:28 
Let's hunt the bug!

Hehe, thanks a lot for willing to help! I will immediately try your great hints!
Well, I think AfA_OS is not the problem, as I installed it under a pure OS3.9 for test reasons and the OS didn't not freeze. So I assume AfA_OS is not the problem.

For test reasons I also installed "AmigaSYS" (but be sure, I like AmiKit more), and under AmigaSYS all goes well, too! No freezing while compiling. So it really seems, that a specific program/patch causes the problem (which is not active under AmigaSYS).
But I will try the WBStartuP and sequence way ...

@Toni: Thanks for that additional hint! But sorry, unfortunately I have no idea where to ender the -log parameter. Under "misc" I enabled logging and the log files are created. But I don't know where to add "-log" ... Sorry ...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 8 Mar 2009 22:00 Edited by: AmiKit 
But I don't know where to add "-log"

Under Windows, edit the AmiKit\Amikit.ini file and add the -log at the end of the second line (the one which starts with the ConfigWinUAE text).

From now on, whenever you click the Configure WinUAE button in AmiKit launcher and start the emulation, the log window will be enabled.

Author Clyde
Partaker
#7 Posted: 8 Mar 2009 22:19 Edited by: Clyde 
Great! Thanks a lot, I will do that now.

Ok, mates, the problem seem to lay in the WBStartup folder. I renamed it and didn't edited startup-sequence and MorpheuZ. And now it works without freezing! I will now copy the programs in WBStartup back step by step ... Let's see where this little bugs hides ...

Author Clyde
Partaker
#8 Posted: 8 Mar 2009 23:07 
Ok, I guess, you would never know, which program causes that behaviour:

The (sad) winner is:

LimpidClock!

Everything works perfect, if that's the only program which is not in WBStartup. And if I start it then manually the freeze immediately arise.

Well, I can live with not enabling LimpidClock, but it will lead into problems for the other Amikit users how also use Hollywood and my add on. So, what can we do know to have LimpidClock up and running without freezing?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 9 Mar 2009 08:15 Edited by: AmiKit 
Well, now let's enter the microworld of LimpidClock and hunt the bug there! I mean there are plenty of settings written in LimpidClock's icon tooltypes. Try to experiment with them, maybe there's a single tooltype that is enough to disable instead of removing the whole program.

Is it LimpidClock.ttengine or plain LimpidClock that causes the freeze?

Author Clyde
Partaker
#10 Posted: 9 Mar 2009 23:52 
It is plain LimpidClock. The tooltype which causes the freeze is "TOOLPRIO = -10". I also tried the values -20 and -100, but with no positive effect. So, just TOOLPRIO causes the freeze.

The strange thing is that under AmigaSYS LimpidClock is also started after booting and there I don't have the freezing problems. There TOOLPRIO is set to -20. The only difference is that AmigaSYS uses an older version of LimpidClock.

So, I have no idea, how important TOOLPRIO is and what to do next ...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#11 Posted: 10 Mar 2009 00:07 Edited by: AmiKit 
The tooltype which causes the freeze is "TOOLPRIO = -10"

How do you know? What happens if you remove the TOOLPRI tooltype?
Also try to put the SMARTREFRESH tooltype into brackets.
Also increase the value of the DELAY tooltype, to eg. 300
Isn't there some hint in LimpidClock manual? AmiKit:Locale/Help/English/LimpidClock.guide

Author Clyde
Partaker
#12 Posted: 10 Mar 2009 13:29 
How do you know? What happens if you remove the TOOLPRI tooltype?
I know it because if I comment this line out and start LimpidClock, then I don't get the freezes. What I did was commenting all Tooltypes out and then commented them in step by step and restartet the clock *paininthe**** . And the freeze just happens, when this specific tooltype is enabled.
Well, adjusting the others has no effect if the TOOLPRI is active ...

Nevertheless I will have a look in the guide.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#13 Posted: 10 Mar 2009 15:05 
Maybe it's time to report your findings to the author of LimpidClock.

Author Clyde
Partaker
#14 Posted: 10 Mar 2009 16:27 
Yeah, you are right. I will contact him. Thanks for you help so far, mate!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#15 Posted: 12 Mar 2009 11:53 
Please inform here when you get a response from him. Many thanks!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Amikit freezes -> logfile?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑