AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Global Trash is very buggy

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#1 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 12:58 
Global Trash gives all kinds of weird errors all the time.

But today it has started saying that files in the trash have expired, would I like to delete them?
YES
Then the window goes away and it seems like all is ok.

But after every reboot the Global Trash requester pops up and does the exact same thing. It refuses to actually delete the trash no matter how many times I tell it to.

Is the author still updating this software?
If not then GlobalTrash should be removed from Amikit because it is ruining the professional appearance.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 13:47 Edited by: AmiKit 
He needs feedback in order to be active Please send him detailed bugreport and put me in a copy. Thanks!

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#3 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 19:00 
Dear GlobalTrash coder:

6.Amikit:Trashcan> list
GreatCLIcommands Dir ----rwed Today 05:33:47
GreatCLIcommands.dup Dir ----rwed 19-Nov-08 22:33:22
GlobalTrash.index 147 ----r-e- Today 05:33:47
1 file - 2 directories - 6 blocks used

GlobalTrash keeps telling me that GreatCLIcommands.dup has expired. Do I want to delete it? I say yes and it does not delete it.

I do not know how that dir got there. I did not make that dir from cli.

Maybe one of the many buggy lha extractor programs made it? Maybe dopus made it? Maybe WinUAE made it?

I did extract a file: GreatCLIcommands.lha around Nov 19

I do not know why it would matter who created it. It should still be deleteable.

Maybe the bug was triggered because GlobalTrash is allergic to:
A: NTFS
B: FFS
C: SFS

I am pretty sure that the GreatCLIcommands.lha never left NTFS. I put it there, extracted it there, and then deleted it.

Please fix. Thank you.

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#4 Posted: 24 Dec 2008 14:04 
@Dr.Amikit
Forum needs a [code] tag or courier font option or something...

6.AmiKit:Trashcan> list
GreatCLIcommands.dup Dir ----rwed 19-Nov-08 22:33:22
GreatCLIcommands Dir ----rwed Today 05:33:47
GlobalTrash.index 147 ----r-e- Today 05:33:47
1 file - 2 directories - 6 blocks used
6.AmiKit:Trashcan> delete great#?
GreatCLIcommands.dup Not Deleted: function not implemented

"function not implemented"!? WTF!?
It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to delete any NTFS dirs from shell. Why? I can delete NTFS files all day long, why not dirs? Yes the dirs are empty.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 24 Dec 2008 15:04 Edited by: AmiKit 
Yes, sometimes I experience this "function not implemented" error too when trying to delete empty folders - and it's not related to GlobalTrash. This must be some WinUAE bug.

Quit the emulation and simply delete the folders from Windows side.

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#6 Posted: 24 Dec 2008 15:24 
I agree it is probably a WinUAE bug.

Author Olli
Partaker
#7 Posted: 25 Dec 2008 08:42 
GlobalTrash uses the official "DeleteFile()"-Call from the AmigaOS so it uses the Delete-Function of the Filesystem itself.
Because of this reason it must work correctly with every filesystem and I agree that files must be deletable nevertheless who or which command created them.

If the "Delete" CLI-Command also refuses to work, there is something wrong with your filesystem or (if using a virtual filesystem on NTFS instead of hardfiles) there seems to be a WinUAE issue (because WinUAE emulates and handles the filesystem).

So there is nothing I can do about that problem. The "Delete" CLI-Command must be able to function and if not GlobalTrash (using the same calls) is also not able to do anything.

Nevertheless (if I understand you correctly) I'm not happy that there is a file which can't be deleted and GlobalTrash does not mention any error (if there is an error, GlobalTrash must notify the user).
I will investigate and (if I'm able to reproduce the error) fix that problem for sure.

@ChaosLord: if you don't like GlobalTrash, it it still your decision to disable it and to not use this program. It works without any problems for years now and if you encounter a single problem you are free to contact the author (me) and report the problem.
In your first sentence you are blaming GlobalTrash for "all kinds of weird errors all the time" and describing a single Problem which is clearly not GlobalTrash-related. If there are some more serious issues, please drop me a note on the Mailinglist or personal email which describes the problem(s) you have.

Merry Christmas to all of you

Oliver Blumert
Author of GlobaTrash

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 25 Dec 2008 11:05 Edited by: AmiKit 
@Olli

Thanks for your reply and Merry Christmas to you too Oliver!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 25 Dec 2008 11:53 
@ChaosLord

Please enable logging in WinUAE/Misc settings and when the problem appears again please check the winuaelog.txt file located in AmiKit\WinUAE folder. There will be a line in the winuaelog.txt that says "Unimplemented error x" where x is an number. What number is it?

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Global Trash is very buggy

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑