AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Need 68060 library files...

Author liontech2002
Partaker
#1 Posted: 29 Jan 2008 07:13 
I think... Anyway can you tell me which files I need to run AmiKit as a 68060 CPU? I know I have seen you say it won't make it run faster, but some things like VICE 1.22 are unusable when I have it set up as a 68040 with 256Meg (4 fps at 95% cpu in the VICE)...

Or if you have another work around please advise as to proper settings. I know Windows version of VICE 1.22 only uses like 7% of my Semperon 3400+ CPU so it can't be that different on the Amiga version can it???

Any help would be great, I have WHDLoad running fine as well as CoolNESs and AmiMasterGear. So why can't VICE run well???

Peace

Eric

Author liontech2002
Partaker
#2 Posted: 29 Jan 2008 20:34 
I found that it is the sound portion of VICE that is killing the frames per second. However this doesn't make sense to me, I am also running DOSBox and ScummVM on the same setup without any sound lag or frame skip. So does anyone know why the sound routines in VICE 1.22 would cause such a performance lag??? Is there any way to make it work. My goal is to have all the Emulation that works on Amiga setup in the AmiKit HDF so it will be impervious to Windoze problems or future Windoze ReInstalls...

Peace

Eric

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 15:41 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello,

I still haven't found a time to make the AmiKit compliant with 68060. Anyway I planned to use MMULib package for this - which contains 68060 libraries as well. But the installation is a bit more complicated.

With regards to the audio slowdowns, you might want to try the latest AHI beta (providing that VICE uses AHI for its output. I am not very familiar with VICE, I haven't had any real C64 either, I was ZX Spectrum guy back in the times )

Author akl
Partaker
#4 Posted: 2 Feb 2008 10:54 
There are some programs, which do not really need a 060 but just check for it because they assume that everyhing below 060 will be too slow for them.

You may fool them using this tool, but make sure you don't run MMU code or other 060 specifics once done:
http://aminet.net/search?query=make060

Author jmparis
Partaker
#5 Posted: 25 Feb 2009 00:54 
Hi,

What is the current status about the 68060 CPU integration under AmiKit ?
I would like to "play" with it under Devpac assembler.

What's happens if i'll apply a phase 5 68060 patch over a 3.9 distribution ?
Does it crash everything ?

Regards,

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 25 Feb 2009 09:08 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and welcome to the forum!

The 68060 integration has been canceled. The decision was made after a consultation with Toni Wilen, the author of WinUAE. The reason is quite simple - there's no difference (in speed or whatever) if 68060 CPU emulation is used and/or 060 compiled programs are used. Therefore the integration would be useless and waste of time. The 68020/FPU emulation mode (used in AmiKit) is the most compatible and suitable one.

With regards to your second question, I have no idea what happens if Phase5 68060 libraries are used. Just try it. But I would use MMULib libraries instead.

Author jmparis
Partaker
#7 Posted: 25 Feb 2009 13:15 
Thanks for your very fast answer.

I'm newbie to AmiKit. Till now, i was "playing" on real amiga 1200 (68060) WB 3.1.

So, I'm astonished by your huge accomplished work! Amazing!

I've already experienced 68060 under WinUAE with success. But on a WB3.1 only.

I'll give it a try with the blizzard patch. (i need to patch mathieee.library at least).

Author Toni Wilen
#8 Posted: 25 Feb 2009 18:00 
Note that 68060 FPU emulation isn't 100% correct yet (some programs return wrong results)

Anyway, it still is pointless because 68040 and 68060 are 100% same in user mode (only difference is one special supervisor mode register and more emulated FPU instructions) and programs that "require" 68060 only require it because REAL 68060 is much faster than REAL 68040. 68060-fake program works just fine in emulation.

MMULib 68060 library works, other libraries are hardware specific as far as I know.

Author jmparis
Partaker
#9 Posted: 25 Feb 2009 18:42 
Thanks Toni for your complete clarification.

As i'll never do some supervisor instructions; I just miss these extra FPU instructions (that i highly propably never use too )

I understand now why emulating a 68060 CPU, is not only painfull but give a mild result.

P.S: I've effectively seen a big difference between a 68040 and 68060 accelerator cards

I'll give a look at this MMUlib....

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Need 68060 library files...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑