AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

AmiKit in a windowed mode

Author rbrown
Partaker
#1 Posted: 15 Mar 2007 06:04 
This odd behavior is driving me crazy and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problems or has a solution, the problem is as follows.

Amikit 1.3.1 with Winuae 1.4 on a Laptop running WindowsXP. No matter what screen settings I choose in Winuae I get the error message (The selected screen mode can't be displayed in a window, because the desktop is too small for the specified window size. Switching to full-screen mode.) I've tried every display option available with the same results.

Clicking OK starts up Amikit normally and the Laptop cooling fan starts and refuses to stop until I either exit out of the emulation or go back to the Windows Desktop. Clicking ctrl F12 goes back to the WindowsXP desktop and the Winuae error message is still there. Nothing I do gets rid of this message short of shutting down Amikit.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 15 Mar 2007 10:16 
rbrown wrote:
Amikit 1.3.1 with Winuae 1.4 on a Laptop running WindowsXP. No matter what screen settings I choose in Winuae I get the error message (The selected screen mode can't be displayed in a window, because the desktop is too small for the specified window size. Switching to full-screen mode.) I've tried every display option available with the same results.

If I understood it correctly, your intention is to run AmiKit in a window instead of the full-screen mode. What is the maximum resolution of your laptop? And what resolution do you use inside AmiKit? Here the laptop's resolution is 1280x800 and AmiKit uses the same in full-screen. However such an AmiKit resolution cannot be displayed in a window on Windows desktop because there would be no space for window's borders. Therefore, if your Windows desktop is eg. 1280x800, start AmiKit and set smaller screenmode there using "ScreenMode AmiKit" tool, let's say 1024x768 or even smaller (just don't forget to select the same screenmode using the SYS:Prefs/ScreenMode program as well before you reboot).

If you want to use AmiKit in full-screen and you just want to get rid of the error message, enable "Full-screen RTG modes" option in WinUAE/Display settings.

rbrown wrote:
Clicking OK starts up Amikit normally and the Laptop cooling fan starts and refuses to stop until I either exit out of the emulation or go back to the Windows Desktop. Clicking ctrl F12 goes back to the WindowsXP desktop and the Winuae error message is still there. Nothing I do gets rid of this message short of shutting down Amikit.

Check the CPUIdle slider in WinUAE/CPU settings. It's on the left side by default which means the whole CPU power is dedicated to WinUAE. Move it more to the right to reduce the CPU load. However the emulation will be slower.

Author rbrown
Partaker
#3 Posted: 18 Mar 2007 18:15 
Thank you for your reply. I was trying for a long time to run Amikit in a window with no success until I read your reply. I had forgotten all about the Screenmode settings in the prefs of the Amiga side. To have Amikit in a window all I had to do was set the Amiga side to a smaller screenmode then was set in the Winuae.

Thanks again

Author Toni Wilen
#4 Posted: 18 Mar 2007 20:38 
Check the CPUIdle slider in WinUAE/CPU settings. It's on the left side by default which means the whole CPU power is dedicated to WinUAE. Move it more to the right to reduce the CPU load. However the emulation will be slower

It only reduces speed of emulation if you adjust it too much. 1-2 steps is usually perfectly fine and only reduces CPU temperature. As long as FPS "led" stays at 50/60Hz everything is fine. (of course there may be some special cases)

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 AmiKit in a windowed mode

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑