AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 10
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

AmiKit eat up all Ram

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#1 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 01:30 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Since the 1.3.0 update i've problems with the Chip & Fastram consumption of AmiKit, it goes down to zero if i open a window with a lot of files. I'm using the Workbench setup, and deactivated the powericons patch from the startup-sequence. Any hints?

Author klesterjr
#2 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 02:43 
Do you have AsyncWB in WBStartup? Someone else reported the same problem -- and having AsyncWB running helped.

You might also try removing AmiStart from WBStartup -- does that help?

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#3 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 05:00 
No, not really. But thanks for the hints. I'm using 128 MB Fastram and losing app. 90 MB of it after opening the first folder. After opening the second i'm loosing the rest and WinUAE crashes mostly then. There are no problems with the 1.2.9 release.

Author bernd_afa
Partaker
#4 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 14:35 
>Since the 1.3.0 update i've problems with the Chip & Fastram >consumption of AmiKit, it goes down to zero if i open a window with a lot >of files.

how many files you have, how many mem you have `?

150 Icons need ca 4 MB ram.32bit take more mem than 8 bit

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#5 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 14:58 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Mmh, i've many installed a lot of WHDLoad games, but this was never a problem. Are the changes to the new Dual PNG feature so significant? I'm using 4 MB Chip, 128 MB Fast and 32 MB RTG ram.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 15:05 
Hmmm, that's lot of mem. So it happens in WB, not in Magellan, right? What other programs have you installed into WBStartup and startup-sequence, besides the AmiKit defaults?

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#7 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 15:16 
I've tried Magellan only once, on the first AmiKit release. But there are no other installed programs besides the defaults. Maybe the error based on some problems i've had before since some updates? Will you release a new full package in the near future?

Author UncleSpam
Partaker
#8 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 16:14 
Try disabling all applications in WBStartup and then re-enabling them, one at a time.

I tried opening up several drawers full of icons and I did not see any significant drop in memory (more than the expected values).

Bogdan

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 17:43 
Maybe the error based on some problems i've had before since some updates?

What problems you mean?

Will you release a new full package in the near future?

No, not in near future, sorry. But you can always install full 1.2.0 archive and update to 1.3.0 with the cumulative archive (25MB).

Author Toni Wilen
#10 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 17:56 Edited by: Toni Wilen 
Pre-1.4.0b9 WinUAE filesystem emulation leaks locks (one lock per icon with AmiKit 1.3.0, about 30 bytes/icon) but it may not be related to your problem. Or perhaps it is, I don't know

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#11 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 18:29 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Good to see you here, Toni. I'm using the latest Beta of WinUAE and tried older versions. It is not related to WinUAE.

@Jan

Maybe i'm trying to re-install the whole package, hopefully it works. The Boing Bags updates are not included in the cumulative update, i assume ?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#12 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 18:39 Edited by: AmiKit 
The Boing Bags updates are not included in the cumulative update, i assume ?

No, they are not included due to copyright reasons.

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#13 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 20:06 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Maybe it is a WinUAE problem: I've installed the whole package again and noticed that only HDF's causes the problem. The AmiKit folder hd works fine, but i've copied all files to a HDF file and the ram eating is back. My WDHLoad games are on HDFs too and it is the same problem there, very strange.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#14 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 20:32 
Now we're getting somewhere!

Can you try different versions of WinUAE please?

Author Toni Wilen
#15 Posted: 28 Feb 2007 20:32 Edited by: Toni Wilen 
HDF not working and directory filesystem working can't really be emulation problem. HDF access is very simple and there is no processing or Amiga-side memory allocation.

Perhaps it is caused by an AmigaOS filesystem bug..

I guess your HDF is standard (non-RDB) and it is FFS formatted? Have you tried using newer FastFileSystem than the one in ROM. Easiest way is to open WinUAE HDF configuration panel and pointing FileSys-path to latest FastFileSystem filesystem driver.

Check winuaelog.txt if it was detected and used properly.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 AmiKit eat up all Ram

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑