AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Napalm freezes on boot

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#1 Posted: 27 Dec 2006 21:14 Edited by: RetroNerd 
I just noticed that the Amiga CD game Napalm freezes at the start. I'm also using the Patch 1.4, any hints for me?

I've tried it with the 68020+/68040 CPU, with the latest WinUAE Beta (1.3.4 Beta 7).

Edit: Under a pure OS 3.9 is works fine but with AmiKit it freezes during the "Hardware Allocation".

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 28 Dec 2006 13:23 
I'll check this issue as soon as I get home and find my original CD. Meanwhile you can try to disable AfA_OS_Loader in startup-sequence as this is the most common source of instability with older software. Also, if you disable it, do not forget to enable Wait commands in front of IPrefs and Birdie. Otherwise the system might crash during the boot process.

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#3 Posted: 28 Dec 2006 17:30 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Unfornately this doesn't work. Even with a disabled Afa_OS_Loader it freezes at the start. But i noticed two other things that doesn't work anymore since one of the last Live-Updates.

1. PlayCD crashes with a Guru
2. This Tooltype in start-icons, to tweak some WHLoad games, doesn't work correctly anymore.

ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cpu_speed real
ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max

This sets the WinUAE emulation speed to "Amiga500" before WHDLoad starts the game and switch back to "as fast as possible" after quiting the game.

The game doesn't boot and the Fast-Ram is counting down. Setting the CPU speed manually back (during WHDLoad tries to boot) to "As fast as possible" and the game start normally, very strange.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 28 Dec 2006 20:40 Edited by: AmiKit 
With regards to PlayCD, check (in ToolTypes) it uses correct device. I think someone already reported PlayCD to crash. This is the case of the version from BoingBag2. Try to use previous version.

I'll check other issues later. Thank you for your report RetroNerd, have a happy new year!

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#5 Posted: 28 Dec 2006 22:39 
You're right, the old version of PlayCD works fine. I can't hear any music (but the songplayer works fine!!!) at the moment, but i will fix it.

Another strange thing is this green flashing before the bootpic shows up, this is new since the Live-Update 1.2.7 or 1.2.8.

I wish you a happy new year too, Jan. And keep going your exellent work with AmiKit, i love it.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 29 Dec 2006 02:02 Edited by: AmiKit 
the green flashing? Well, I forgot to mention this is a new feature

Seriously, in the latest update I didn't touch anything that would be able to cause it. Can you remember what have YOU changed since 1.2.7? Maybe the latest beta of WinUAE?

- And keep going your exellent work with AmiKit, i love it.
Thank you very much! This feedback is much appreciated!

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#7 Posted: 29 Dec 2006 05:42 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Yes, i'm using the latest WinUAE Beta. But i've tried older versions with the same result. I can't fix the green flashings at the boot. I will make a new install from the scratch when you release your 1.3 Full Installer.

Maybe this fixes also the other problems i've mentioned before.

A little request: Is it possible to change the script for a direct install to a HDF file? The folder install caused some problems/crashes for me in the past, so i have to copy it manually to a new created HDF.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 29 Dec 2006 10:55 
Well, I still cannot imagine the green flashing. Please try to disable some patches that are run before the bootpic.

I am thinking about HDF version as an alternate distribution. But due to my limited time it won't happen soon, unfortunatelly. That's why there's a guide on how to do it manually, check this please.

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#9 Posted: 29 Dec 2006 15:49 

I am thinking about HDF version as an alternate distribution. But due to my limited time it won't happen soon, unfortunatelly. That's why there's a guide on how to do it manually, check this please.

No problem, i'm using AmiKit from the first release as an HDF. But it is a bit annoying to copy the files manually when i'm trying a new full installer. Thanks for your support, Jan.

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#10 Posted: 8 Jan 2007 23:00 Edited by: RetroNerd 
It's as you said, Jan. The Afa_OS Loader causes a lot of trouble. Especially the amiga dos installed games. I can fix some by removing the of Afa_OS Loader, but not all. A pure OS 3.9 works fine. No problems here.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#11 Posted: 8 Jan 2007 23:04 Edited by: AmiKit 
oops, it reminds me the Napalm CD...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#12 Posted: 13 Jan 2007 16:59 Edited by: AmiKit 
I did a quick Napalm test today. It doesn't work via it's icon (I always get a yellow error message: external module missing). So I rebooted and then just doubleclicked "CrimsonCrisis" file. It asked me for several assigns which I pointed to correct places according to "NAPALM" script. The screenmode requester appeared where I selected uaegfx:640x480 and the game launched successfully. Then it switched to Workbench and asked for few more assigns. Again, I pointed them where they should belong and I managed to get to the game itself.

Author RetroNerd
Partaker
#13 Posted: 16 Jan 2007 00:38 Edited by: RetroNerd 
Thanks for the Info. But it guess there are much more problems with pure dos installed games. Ambermoon is another example, the WHDLoad games works fine. But this not really a problem for me. I'm using now a OS 3.9 WB with Picasso driver in WinUAE for the DOS games, that cures a lot of troubles.

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Napalm freezes on boot

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑