AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Problem with file protection

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#1 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 19:52 
I was updating AmiKit with LiveUpdate on my laptop and discovered after the installation of update 1.2.4 I seem to be having some file protection problems??

It initially manifested itself with the Daywatch utility in WBstartup. When Amikit start-ups it reports that is is unable to open Envarc:daywatch/daywatch.last because the file is write ptotected.

However, when I check the attributes of this file it appears OK. I cannot rename, copy or delete this file. I then tried to update to 1.2.5 using LiveUPdate and I was unable to download the file. I downloaded it manually but when I try to copy it to the Expansion folder I get the following error message- DOS error files is write protected.

This seems to happens with any file I try to copy to the expansion folder. Itied a simple file copy from a shell window and got the following message:- can't open AmiKit:expansion for output - file is write protected.

I checked the attributes of the folder and they are OK. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

Thanks

TrevorDick

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 20:14 
Strange. Does the problem persists if you quit the WinUAE and start the emulation again? Do you use PC filesystem (FAT32?, NTFS?) for AmiKit files or a hardfile?

Also try to update to latest WinUAE. Simply download the zip archive and copy the WinUAE.exe to AmiKit\WinUAE\ directory.

Seems this issue more WinUAE related than AmiKit itself...

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#3 Posted: 13 Dec 2006 10:46 
Problem persists on after re-boot. I am using WinUae 1.3.3 and PC filesystem. The directories are r/w and no protection bit are set. Strange?

Author UncleSpam
Partaker
#4 Posted: 13 Dec 2006 22:20 Edited by: UncleSpam 
If you use NTFS as your Windows XP filesystem, there may be a chance that Windows has somehow changed the protection bits of the AmiKit "Amiga Drive" where it is read only.

It's worth a try to see if you can, from the Windows side, change the protection bits to r/w to the AmiKit "hard drive" and include subfolders/and files within that as well.

PS. I assume you have Admin privileges on your PC.

Bogdan

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#5 Posted: 15 Dec 2006 02:00 
Bogdan,

Good Idea. I'll check it out and get back to you.

TrevorDick

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 15 Dec 2006 12:11 
Meanwhile Toni Wilen (the author of WinUAE) joins this forum, let me quote his suggestions:

- Can he write to that folder in Windows-side without errors?
- If yes, can he read, overwrite and overwrite the new temporary file from emulation side?
- FAT32 or NTFS? Filesystem check done?
- winuaebootlog.txt
- winuaelog.txt (if there are messages related to the error)
- read-only filesystem mount option set?

Trevor, please check the WinUAE configuration of AmiKit. Click the "Hard drives" section, select AmiKit drive and click "Properties" button. Is the "Read/Write" option enabled there?

Does this problem occur on your Sony laptop only?

Is there the problem with ALL the drawers and files from emulation side?

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#7 Posted: 16 Dec 2006 22:23 
Right I've had a chance to thoroughly check out the file protectionn problem. It appears to be a problem associated with Windows XP. I was unable to change the protection attributes for all the folders and files in my "Program Files" folders on my D: drive, which also contains my AmiKit installation. All other folders and files on my c: drive and other sections of my d: drive are fine.

I managed to find a reference to a similar problem on the Microsoft support site but when I applied the suggested fix it did not solve the problem. All the files and folders in my d:\program files directory are effectively locked from alteration or deletion. I have asked one ok my Windows friends to take a look at the problem to see if there is a simple fix. Watch this space.

TrevorDick

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#8 Posted: 16 Dec 2006 22:25 
Oh btw forgot to mention, my WinUae/Amikit Hard drive properties are set to r/w.

TrevorDick

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 16 Dec 2006 22:33 Edited by: AmiKit 
When saying you cannot change the protection attributes, did you mean you cannot change it from Windows side? If so, the AmiKit is out of the game, fortunatelly ;) Hope you fix this strange WinXP problem soon, Trevor!

When you manage to fix it, please drop a few lines here so if this happens to other users, they can fix it quickly. Thank you.

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#10 Posted: 16 Dec 2006 23:23 
Yes the problem is most definately with the windows side. WinUae and Amikit are in the clear. I will let you know if I manage to fix the problem.

TrevorDick

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Problem with file protection

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑