AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 33
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

I can play Music CD's, but...

Author DesertBlizzard
Partaker
#1 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 04:58 Edited by: DesertBlizzard 
I think there may be a bug in AmiKit XE. I cannot say if this existed in AmiKit X since I never tried to play Music CD's until recently. After a bit of work, I learned that I needed to install a SCSI CD drive under hard drives in WinUAE, at least I think this was necessary. I then started to see CD0 mount on the desktop. Great! Unfortunately I was unable to play music, so I thought, because the icon that appeared on the desktop was labeled CD0:BAD, and would not open or do anything when double clicked. After more research I learned that a DOSDriver was required. I found one labeled CD0 in Sys:Storage\DOSDrivers. When I looked at that file, and taking information I learned here: https://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/diskfileoperation.html#3 I learned that if things were working properly, PlayCD should have been invoked when the disk was double-clicked. Opening PlayCD, and then clicking the "CD" icon in the software did load the tracks and I can play and hear audio. What can I do to get this to work more seamlessly?

The line of interest reads: Control = "MD=0 LC=1 DC=8 L LV AL LFC=1 S NC AUDIO=Utilities/PlayCD"

I do not know what most of the parameters mean to adjust anything, if in fact this is necessary.

Author DesertBlizzard
Partaker
#2 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 05:04 
I guess a follow-up to this question/problem is, is PlayCD the only tool I can use to play audio CD's with? Would be nice to play using AMPLifier or AmigaAMP.

Also, I'm using WinUAE 4.2.1 and a USB connected LG DVD/CD writer if that matters at all.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 16:03 
Hi there,

is the SCSI Driver in WinUAE/HardDrives section required? Isn't it enough just to doubleclick SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/CD0 in AmiKit? If so, move the CD0 and CD0.info file from there to SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers folder and it will be started automatically on AmiKit startup.

Btw. you can also try SYS:Utilities/EasyACDDA/EasyACDDA for playng CDs or even SYS:Utilities/SongPlayer/SongPlayer (it has CD button in GUI). I am not sure about Amplifier or AmigaAMP, though.

I cannot test it here because I don't have any audio CD around (long time ago I swear to never touch that awful and obsolete media anymore ;)

Author DesertBlizzard
Partaker
#4 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 19:44 
So. I reverted to the shipped WinUAE configuration that is supplied in a fresh install of AmiKit and removed the SCSI device I added. I then moved the two CD0 files to Devs/DOSDrivers and left "SCSI Emulation" as it is under Miscellaneous Options. Sure enough, when I insert an audio CD, It mounts to the desktop, however the Icon still shows up as a system disk and is labeled CD0:BAD. However, I can go into PlayCD, aka SongPlayer and play track from the disc. So it seems I didn't have to do what I did before, which is nice. How do you configure the default action when one double-clicks the icon to open SongPlayer?

Author DesertBlizzard
Partaker
#5 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 19:57 
I have been on a mission to get T-Zero working with the included CD audio, and am happy to report that I did it, but not without discovering this. For the record, SongPlayer is labeled PlayCD in Utilities, but in AmiStart it is listed as SongPlayer. A little confusing, but works.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 20:06 
Hi,

I think that CD0:BAD is actually correct as it refers to a non-readable data CD. And Audio CD is not a Data CD, you know.

Regarding that PlayCD vs SongPlayer - which AmigaOS version did you use to install AmiKit? Was it Amiga Forever?

As far as I remember the original AmigaOS3.9's PlayCD is not part of AmigaForever, therefore I replaced it with SongPlayer.

Check AmiKit 10.3.1 chagelog: http://file.amiga.sk/amikit/doc/changelog_x.html

Author DesertBlizzard
Partaker
#7 Posted: 9 Jun 2019 00:29 
Yes. It was AF. If this is expected behavior, I'll leave it as is. However, the link I included in my original post seems to to imply that I it should be able to be configured to mount the disk, determine that it's an audio CD, and take specific action when the icon is double clicked.

Right now I don't have the motivation to dig into this, but if I muster it up and figure it out, I'll share the resolution here. It may prove helpful if you happen to adapt AmiKit to the Vampire V4.

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 I can play Music CD's, but...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑