AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Flowerpot Linux qemu question

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#1 Posted: 1 Feb 2019 18:30 
I have a question regarding Flowerpot Linux. When I run the POL script, nothing happens at all. I am not sure whether it is supposed to launch things as with the normal AmiKit install, but it does not. In any event, when I install OS 4 using the MSI file, the installation goes fine. In the installed version, however, access to the Linux disks is very troublesome. All of the files and directories are not visible (very odd, indeed), and very often accessing these disks crashes OS4. (These are the same disks that work perfectly with the normal AmiKit installation.) OS4 runs fine if I use only the virtual windows disks, but as soon as I access the Linux drive the whole system becomes unstable.

Further, when I look at the debugging files for PlayOnLinux, I see a qemu error (qemu:thread naming not supported for this host). There are no such errors in the log file for AmiKit, so I know this is from the OS4 msi installation. I am also aware that this is NOT a Flowerpot issue, as the installation is without incident except for the note in the PlayOnLinux debugging file. I just though that someone here might have an inkling as to what is going on. I see reference in the qemu guide to turning on thread naming, but so far have not been able to do so.

Anyway, several beers later, I am still confused.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 1 Feb 2019 21:17 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Larry,

I've asked the author of Linux installer to assist. Meanwhile, can you try to update to the latest Wine and WinUAE?

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#3 Posted: 1 Feb 2019 23:29 
Jan,

I have the latest. I am going to be out of town for a couple of days, but I will look in on this again on Monday. I am beginning to suspect that I have a freetype font issue. I am working to understand what that means.

Thanks for your quick response

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#4 Posted: 2 Feb 2019 06:24 
The freetype issue is gone, but the qemu comment in the log is still there and the linux disks still crash.

Author walkero
Partaker
#5 Posted: 6 Feb 2019 22:39 
Hello Larry,
I would like to help you run Flowerpot with wine, but I need some more info.
1. I would like to know the Linux distribution and the version you are using, so that I can try replicate the problem.
2. Can you tell me the specifications of your computer? Is it a 32bit or 64bit? The distribution you installed is a 32bit or 64bit?
3. By the first message, I am not sure I understood if the Flowerpot is already installed on your system. Is it installed but you cannot run it? It is not installed at all?

Let's get Flowerpot first working fine on your system, and then we can see the Amikit, so that we do not get confused. I hope you agree with that.

Looking forward for your message.

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#6 Posted: 10 Feb 2019 22:42 
First of all, I am having no problems with AmiKit. In fact, I am using it as the desktop for my everyday work. It is the best of both worlds, and I am very grateful for you efforts in creating it. With AmiKit I have no stability problems. I access the Linux disks with impunity, and I have expanded the RabbitHole to include Chrome and a couple of other programs I use often. I also find that AmiKit in conjunction with the KDE panel makes AmiKit a wonderful, functional and nostalgic desktop.

All of the problems I am having are with FlowerPot. I am using Debian 10 (testing, Buster). The first issue that I had is that the script simply would not run as it arrived. I changed the spec for wine from 2.0-staging to 3.21 and the POL script now installs OS4.1 without issues. The system boots and seems to run OK, albeit slowly (or at least a great deal more slowly than 3.9). The problem comes when I try to access the Linux drives. The process is so slow as to be unusable, and eventually fails completely with a crash. I am not certain what is going on here, since the very same drive is actually running flawlessly with the AmiKit installation. Clearly this is a wine issue, but I am not Windows savvy, and I really don't know where to begin.

Today I installed OS 4.1FE with fs-uae and it works very well. As far as I know, it is not possible to access the Linux directories directly from fs-uae, but I made a couple of .hdf files and I mounted them in AmiKit, copied the files I needed for OS4 to the virtual disk and then mounted and used them in OS 4. Works fine this way.

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#7 Posted: 10 Feb 2019 22:45 
I also forgot to say that the script as it is delivered sets the windows os to win7 and to winxp. I had to remove the xp reference before it would run.

Author walkero
Partaker
#8 Posted: 17 Feb 2019 21:55 
@RLFrost
So, do you have it working or it still fails on your system?

Author RLFrost
Partaker
#9 Posted: 17 Feb 2019 22:56 
Walkero,

The script installs ok with the changes I indicated earlier. The problem still is that it is not possible to add the update to OS 4.1, because the disk reads on the Linux disks are so unreliable that the upgrade always fails about halfway through. It leaves the OS in a mess when it fails. I am certain that it is not my hard drives, because AmiKit works just fine with the drives, and the OS 4.1 installation using fs-uae works fine and the upgrade installs properly if I do it from a disk image. The problem with the fs-uae implementation is that fs-uae does not have access to the uae graphics screens, and also does not access the linux disks directly as far as I can tell. It may be ignorance on my part.

I don't believe this is a FlowerPot issue so much as some issue with wine or winuae. I have tried several versions of each with no luck. I am beginning to wonder if memory is configured properly for OS 4. In any event, I would be interested to know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again for responding.

Larry

Author walkero
Partaker
#10 Posted: 17 Feb 2019 23:11 
RLFrost
OK. Give me some days to try to reproduce that problem and see how I can help you.

Author walkero
Partaker
#11 Posted: 25 Feb 2019 23:08 
RLFrost
I tried a lot of installations, with various Wine versions and I didn't have any issues with linux shared hard disks.

About the installation of the update I would recommend to download the update from Hyperion's website and not from the AmiUpdate. Do that from a Linux browser. Then copy the file and unarchive it inside the FlowerPot (MDH2) partition. The proceed to the installation.

One more thing that I would recommend you to do is to update the WinUAE to the latest stable version. Based on my experience, it is more stable.

These days I am working on a new version of the installation script, which is under testing. Stay tuned.

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Flowerpot Linux qemu question

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑