AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /  

Resolution keeps getting reset to 800x600 256colors

Author blueapples
Partaker
#1 Posted: 8 Apr 2018 20:36 Edited by: blueapples 
Hi there, I am having some trouble with my setup now. It's started to always revert to 640x256, 256 colors (I thought it was 800x600 originally) on every boot up. Boot is also taking a lot longer than it used to when I first installed it. I haven't really done much with the system since I last posted, just wanted to play some mod files while working on some other stuff, but I can't get the resolution to be comfortable at all. I had previously run it at 2560x1440 without much issue.

One other related thing that seems strange, the saved settings don't seem to really have much if any effect and aren't saved between sessions. If I close down the emulator completely when I come back to it, nothing seems to be setup the way I had it last (full-window vs windowed, virtual mouse driver, resolution). It all seems to reset somehow that I don't completely understand. I realize this is more of a WinUAE question but I figured I would ask here first.

Author blueapples
Partaker
#2 Posted: 8 Apr 2018 20:44 
Does AmiKit launcher always open the "AmiKit (Default Configuration)" config from the configurations list? This might be part of my issue. Although it does not explain why the resolution is wrong, I linked a new Host config to it, set to 1920x1080 32bit but this resolution is still not used. It did correctly restore the virtual mouse and full-window settings at least...

Author blueapples
Partaker
#3 Posted: 8 Apr 2018 21:11 Edited by: blueapples 
Okay this is really strange. It works fine over remote desktop -- that is, if I connect to my laptop using remote desktop and load up the same presets I've been using, it launches in the full resolution and launches very quickly (about 10x faster at least). I am completely baffled. Of course streaming audio doesn't work so well over RDP (unless I hold down the right mouse button? I don't get why that helps...), and I would like the setup to work when I am away from the place where using RDP is practical for me. Hoping you'll have some ideas as to why this is happening. Maybe something to do with the video card? This is a surface book.

I also have noticed that, at least on RDP, several programs are almost completely black, with just decoration and edges actually drawn in. This is the case for AmiModRadio for instance.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 8 Apr 2018 21:33 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello,

if Amiga boots to 640x256 then something must have happened on Amiga side. You shouldn't be able to break it with WinUAE settings. But who knows. Especially if it works via remote desktop. Strange.

Anyway, you can always reset the screen mode on Amiga side. Boot or reboot AmiKit and hold down both mouse buttons to get to Early Startup menu. Select Boot with no startup-sequence. Then type the following commands to reset your Amiga screenmode in AmiKit (if successful, AmiKit will ask you to select new screenmode on next reboot).

Delete SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs
Reboot

Also, it would be best if you could restore the original AmiKit config for WinUAE too. To do so, use Windows to go to the folder where you installed AmiKit, and delete "AmiKit.uae" file located in WinUAE/Configurations folder. Then clone "AmiKit-windowed.uae" file and rename it "AmiKit.uae".

Btw. if you make changes to WinUAE settings later, make sure to save them this way: In WinUAE go to Configurations tab, mark the "AmiKit (Default configuration)" entry and click SAVE button. This way the changes will be saved to AmiKit.uae file which is always loaded by AmiKit Launcher - as you correctly presumed.

Well, ff you haven't customized your AmiKit much, maybe the fastest solution would be to re-install AmiKit from scratch If you do so, backup AmiKit/AmiKit.hdf so in future you can only replace this file to get back to AmiKit defaults. You can also backup that file before you install something new to AmiKit or just before you want to experiment with AmiKit a bit

Hope it helps.

Author blueapples
Partaker
#5 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 01:25 
Okay so I've tried a re-install, and made sure the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\AmiKit X were completely erased after uninstalling. Now after booting up and selecting a screen mode, pressing Use, then hitting Enter, it just reboots back into the screen mode selection again.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 01:27 
Press SAVE instead of Use

Author blueapples
Partaker
#7 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 03:23 
Awesome! I think I might finally have figured it out. It seems like the main AmiKit.uae file stores all settings, including all the Host ones as well? I had thought you needed the two different config files for it to restore all settings, but just saving over AmiKit.uae seems to have fixed the problem of it not restoring. We'll see how it works when I'm away from the office where I use RDP. Thanks for your help!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 09:09 
Good to hear it works for you now. Btw. here you can find a comprehensive WinUAE manual: http://winuaehelp.vware.at/

Author blueapples
Partaker
#9 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 17:10 
Cool I will be sure to read that through carefully. So, the low resolution issue has started to happen again. My current theory is that the resolution is set too high for the laptop (I run it in 1080p when in laptop mode because the HIDPI scaling mode is really hard on the apps I use, 1440 when over RDP). If the resolution is too high for the current native display, would it cause this kind of fallback?

The problem I have trying to get into the resolution screen when this happens is that a Surface Book has no discrete buttons so holding down both mouse buttons isn't really possible in laptop mode (as far as I can tell anyway, it doesn't seem to work).

Author blueapples
Partaker
#10 Posted: 12 Apr 2018 17:17 
Well nuts now I keep getting crashes, even just going into Configure from the Amikit X launcher.

---------------------------
Crash
Crash detected. MiniDump saved as:
C:\Program Files (x86)\AmiKit X\WinUAE\winuae_3.5.0_R_2018.04.12_10.14.33.dmp

OK

Maybe I should try this on a different machine. I pretty much do all my development on here, so while it's pretty stable and fully patched, it also has a lot of junk running on it.

Author blueapples
Partaker
#11 Posted: 14 Apr 2018 21:50 
Alright yep it looks like this is due to having the resolution set too high vs the current resolution, or something along those lines. Even if I crank up the resolution of the machine in laptop mode, it still did the same thing and automatically reverted to the low res amiga settings.

To fix this I am able to do as you suggested:

1. Hold down left mouse button (seems that both are not required)
2. Wait for a prompt to come up
3. Enter the following:
Delete SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screenmode.prefs
Reboot
4. Select new resolution on next boot up
5. Click Save

And I'm back in business.

Thank you so much!

Specific questions AmiKit Support Forum / Specific questions /
 Resolution keeps getting reset to 800x600 256colors

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top