AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0
I have a specific problem with AmiKit AmiKit Support Forum / I have a specific problem with AmiKit /  

help understanding how to add ppc support to Amikit

Author ccapublic
Partaker
#1 Posted: 27 Oct 2015 14:05 Edited by: ccapublic 
Hi all,

I would like to take advantage of winuae ppc emulation in amikit (base os : 3.9) but I am seriously lost...

- Which hw is best to emulate with winuae ? A1200 with blizzard ppc 040 or 060 ? A4000 with cyberstorm ppc ? Any other "custom made setup" to maximize speed (ppc emulation and disk accesses), have best display...

- I am lost between warpos\warpup and power up. I read that both can not coexist but that one can emulate the other. Also Read that one can simultaneously take advantage of both 68k and ppc while the other could only use one processor at a given moment...

- which demo, game, sw would be interesting to play with ppc support

I have spent some time Googling here and there but all of the above remains obscure to me. So I hoped some ppc skilled amikit user could share his experience with amikit and ppc here, or point to any up to date and clear digest.

My history with Amiga stopped with a1200 + blizzard 040 under os3.1 so I'm totally newbie reg the period classic amigos attempted to move to dual 68k+ppc world...

Thanks guys !

PS: I'm also wondering if there are some winuae config tips to maximize amikit performance with baytrail based tablets other than default amikit winuae configuration. First for 68k only, then for 68k+ppc...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 28 Oct 2015 13:10 
Hi Cyril,

my history with Amiga also stopped with A1200+040 hardware, unfortunately, so, actually, I would also like to know answers to your questions!

Could you copy and paste your the text to www.amigans.net, www.amiga.org and www.amigaworld.net ?

Author jdog320
Partaker
#3 Posted: 1 Nov 2015 12:39 
ccapublic

1. Try Amiga 4000, 68060, Blizzard/Cyberstorm PPC
2. Warpup/WARPOS is one thing, it's a kernel designed to take advantage of Phase5 POWERPC accelerator boards. Same with PowerUp which ironically is a competing product.So you need to emulate something like a Blizzard PPC. Also both are incompatible. There is a version of WARPOS on the OS3.9 CD.
3. Search aminet. I think that games that require Warp3D and RTG. Stuff like ports of late 90s PC Games. Just search around.

Personally I haven't tried PPC with amikit but I did try it with a stock install of OS3.9 and there's really no speed boost out of the box since PPC emulation requires software that can take advantage of it. You could Possibly run AMIGAOS 4.1 or MorphOS.

Author artur
Partaker
#4 Posted: 4 Nov 2015 11:25 
I have AmiKit with PPC but it's very very slow.

Author turrican3
Partaker
#5 Posted: 9 Jan 2016 22:49 
I'm trying to do the same but i had a ramlib error when i launched the cow3d demo !!!!
Amikit, do you plan to make an amikit ppc ??? Should be really cool !!!! with 3d support even in software mode to launch shogo heretic 2 etc...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 11 Jan 2016 20:07 
Hi turrican3, I am currently working on AmiKit X which will be available for ALICE laptops. More info here: http://bit.ly/ALICE-news

ALICE will be able to boot to OS4 too so the PPC world will be covered too.

Author ccapublic
Partaker
#7 Posted: 11 Jan 2016 20:25 
Hi Jan,

Will "regular" Amikit be updated with those features too (even if in a high end - not for free - version), or will they be exclusive to ALICE ? For sure ALICE will be great but probably not all of us will be able to afford it.

Thanks for your feedback and btw happy new year to you !

Cyril

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 13 Jan 2016 00:19 
Hi Cyril and thanks for your interest. AmiKit X will be available exclusively for ALICE. Later it might be available as a digital download, similarly to current MK2 version which was originally released exclusively on flash disk, you know. But it's too soon to make any decision. I'd like to complete AmiKit X first, it consumes all my spare time for last couple of months, and then we'll see...

Author ccapublic
Partaker
#9 Posted: 13 Jan 2016 22:32 
Thanks for your feedback Jan.

Author jdog320
Partaker
#10 Posted: 29 Jan 2016 14:20 
turrican3
I unfortunately discovered that that wazp3d doesn't work with PPC.

I have a specific problem with AmiKit AmiKit Support Forum / I have a specific problem with AmiKit /
 help understanding how to add ppc support to Amikit

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top