AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Not working on Vista x64

Author Donovan Long
Partaker
#1 Posted: 17 Jan 2009 19:29 Edited by: Donovan Long 
Well, I was determined to get this to work, but I've had to give up.

I had no problems installing the software; I gave it a kickstart and access to an AmigaOS 3.5 CD, and chose Magellan (sp and I tried the "Scalos" or what one as well) and a video mode of 1280x800 (also tried 1024x768 just to be sure).

At the point where you are told that the registration screen is not for AmiKit and to press enter to start, I do so and all I see is a window on the Amiga titled "Safe." If I close that window or press enter, it disappears as does WinUAE and a full screen AmiKit begins.

From here, a variety of things can occur, the end result being that none of them have the progress bar make it to 100% completion...

Initially, AmiKit would close about half-way and a windowed WinUAE Guru Meditation would appear. If you left-click, the "Safe" window appears again, and again, if you hit enter, the full-screen kicks in again only to stop halfway again. After doing this a couple times, Vista finally puts up a very small and discreet balloon pop-up down by the clock, saying it had terminated a program that was acting suspiciously (ie. Windows DEP protection against programs that access memory improperly).

It took a long while just to realize that DEP was killing the software, as I tried various compatibility settings and the like, and multiple re-installs of AmiKit, but I finally discovered/decided to disable Windows DEP completely, which requires you reboot the OS. You shouldn't really disable DEP, as it works in conjunction with your processor to stop bad software (viruses and the like) but I wanted to get AmiKit working...

Unfortunately, still no joy. AmiKit starts in fullscreen and about halfway or more, closes. Sometimes you get the WinUAE Guru Meditation error. If you left click, the whole process starts over. Again, the "Safe" screen is always there prior to the fullscreen session. Sometimes you can make out "is changed" when you press enter; I can never make out what the first word is.

At some point, after doing this a few times, and sometimes not very often at all, Windows will announce that WinUAE has crashed...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winuae.exe
Application Version: 1.5.2.0
Application Timestamp: 48c13511
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I tried replacing the WinUAE executable with the latest, but the same thing happens.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winuae.exe
Application Version: 1.5.3.0
Application Timestamp: 4916d5cf
Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I was able to get it installed under my old OS, Windows XP SP3, but I don't use XP, since even Vista is 2 years old now and I have 4gb of memory, which XP only sees as 3gb... blah blah, I want it to work on Vista, as that's my OS

Unfortunately, it looks like some part of AmiKit and/or WinUAE is not compatible with 64-bit Windows. Prior to finding AmiKit, I did play around with WinUAE without any crashes, but not enough to suggest that WinUAE isn't at fault here.

Damn, I spent so much time trying to get this sucker to work. Crappy. Hopefully this may assist others who experience the same problem or at least helps let them know they are not alone. I am going to forward the crash info to the WinUAE maintainer, in case that's of some use to them.

AmiKit, from the brief moment I let it run under XP, looked quite incredible. Maybe at some point I'll go back to XP for a bit and check it out, unfortunately, I've already put several hours into this

All the best,

...Dono
Just another dude that had an Amiga during college days

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 17 Jan 2009 19:51 Edited by: AmiKit 
I am sorry to hear that you spent so much time into it with no positive result. And I really appreciate you did not give up and decided to write your experience here.

If you can send me the WinUAE log files I will pass them to the author of WinUAE so he can investigate this issue first.

To generate the log files, start the AmiKit launcher window, press the "Configure WinUAE" button, switch to Miscellaneous settings and enable "Create log file" and "Illegal memory accesses" options. Then start the emulation. Now when you quit the emulation or if the WinUAE crashes, the two log files (winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt) can be found in AmiKit\WinUAE folder. Please send them to me:
" style="width:150px

Author Donovan Long
Partaker
#3 Posted: 22 Jan 2009 19:21 Edited by: Donovan Long 
Hey,

you're most welcome! I did get in touch with the author after writing my original post, and he had some thoughts on this issue which got things a bit closer to working, but there is still sometime going awry. As I'm sending him a follow-up message, and perhaps now it is more relevant to you than him at this point, I'll send it to your email as well!

...Dono

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 24 Jan 2009 15:19 
Thanks for the info. I've replied to your email.

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Not working on Vista x64

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑