AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

installation problems on EeePc running WinXP

Author Pierre
Partaker
#1 Posted: 6 Oct 2008 15:11 
I am trying to install Amikit to my EeePc running Windows XP SP2, but am running into installation problems.

I already have Amiga Forever 2008 installed on my EeePc 701. The Amiga Forever resides on an SD card that I use as a secondary drive. The installation runs fine until it asks for my source of Amiga files. I choose the Amiga Forever CD (which is in my CD drive) but when I hit "enter", a requester pops up asking for the Amiga Forever CD. For some reason, the installer does not like Amiga Forever....

I've also tried getting the installer to use my Amiga Forever files already on my system, but doesn't work either. Again, these files are not on my main drive but on a SD disk that I use as my secondary drive. I really can't move the Amiga Forever files to my main drive since it is only 4 gigs in size and WinXP takes up most of that .

Any thoughts? I saw Amikit demo'd at my Amiga User's group meeting (yes we still meet!) and liked what I saw. Any help would be most appreciated.

Pierre

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 6 Oct 2008 15:29 Edited by: AmiKit 
When you press the "AmigaForever CD" button the AmiKit asks you to insert a CD. If the "Please enter volume..." requester still appears even after you inserted the correct CD, then it seems the WinUAE cannot recognize your CD-Drive. Anyway, there are two options how to fix the problem.

1. When AmiKit launcher appears, press "Configure Button" instead of the "Run AmiKit" button. The WinUAE configuration appears. Go to the "Misc" section and try running AmiKit with different "uaescsi.device" configuration, eg. AdaptecASPI, FrogASPI, etc.

2. If the first option fails, refer to the CD4 trick as mentioned in the FAQ. Just make sure you enter exactly the same name as your real CD is named into the configuration box.

Another option is to use "AF Installed" button during the AmiKit installation. If your AmigaForever2008 is correctly installed the AmiKit should be able to find it. Note that it doesn't matter where you installed your AmigaForever2008 as long as the path information is located on the main system harddisk, for example you should be able to see AmigaForever2008 entry in Add&Remove programs of your Windows.

Author Pierre
Partaker
#3 Posted: 6 Oct 2008 19:10 
Great! I'll give these suggestions a try at my earliest convenience.
Pierre

Author Pierre
Partaker
#4 Posted: 7 Oct 2008 21:09 
Hello again,

I decided to start from scratch and resinstall AmiKit on my EeePc. I no realize that I may be having an installation problem, above and beyond getting AmiKit to find my AmigaForever CD.

I basically have 2 drives in my EeePc. The main 4 gig drive holds Windows XP, plus some other software and now has about 1 gig free. The 4 gig SD card holds most of my applications and has about 1.7 gigs free.

When I launch Amikit, it installs the software but then seems to go on forever when decompressing the files. I waited over a half hour before quitting out on the installation. Also, the directory it was installing to kept getting larger and larger. It had close to 1 gig in it before I stopped the installation.

To test my installation, I installed the same version of AmiKit on my desktop PC and after about 5 minutes, I was given the requester that asked for my ROMs. Afterwards, the installation found my AmigaForever CD without a problem. In short order, I had a fully functioning AmiKit running on my desktop computer.

Again, any thoughts as to what might be happening?

Thanks,
Pierre

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 10 Oct 2008 20:52 
MANY files have to be unpacked during the AmiKit installation, almost 30.000! Besides the fact that the unpacking process is quite memory hungry it might also take some time, especially on slow SD cards.

I suggest to convert your desktop installation of AmiKit to a hardfile. Hardfiles are generally faster with regards to the read/write operations. When done, transfer your AmiKit from desktop to your laptop. It should be enough to just copy the AmiKit folder.

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 installation problems on EeePc running WinXP

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑