AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Define the source of system files

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#1 Posted: 4 Nov 2007 21:02 
Hi there,

I am totally new into all this. I have used WinUAE in the past to emulate my A500+ and play some games. However I would like to run the AmigaOS.3.9 now and use some of it's great features!

I have followed all the instructions, installed AmiKit however when it comes to the point that I have to select the source of the system files I have no idea how to proceed. I have an HDF file where my AmigaOS3.9 is currently located. What do I have to do now? How can I tell AmiKit where to find my system files?

thanks,
Giorgoc

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 4 Nov 2007 21:28 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and welcome to the support forum.

I am afraid you will need the original CD with AmigaOS files to install the Amikit, the same CD you've used to create the HDF file you mentioned. The AmiKit installer scripts check for the presence of the real CD. Alternatively you can copy the content of the CD to a hardfile named "AmigaOS3.9" and mount it on AmiKit startup. This should work as well.

One of the following source of system files is required:
- AmigaOS 3.9 CD (both editions)
- AmigaOS 3.5 CD
- AmigaOS XL CD (Amithlon)
- Amiga Forever 2005/2006 (available to buy here)

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#3 Posted: 5 Nov 2007 00:12 
So ... if I just name my hdf file into AmigaOS3.9 and mount it, this will work, right?

How can I mount it on AmiKit startup ?

thanks....
George

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 5 Nov 2007 09:23 
The hardfile has to be renamed "AmigaOS3.9" internally - this means on Amiga side. If you boot this hardfile, change the device name of this partition in the emulated environment.

To mount the hardfile with AmiKit, press the "Configure WinUAE" button in AmiKit's launcher GUI, switch to "Hard drives" section of WinUAE settings, press the "Add Hardfile" button and define the path to your hardfile. Then start the emulation.

However the hardfile you mentioned has to contain exactly the same files as the AmigaOS3.9 CD, not the already installed OS3.9 system. Otherwise it won't work with AmiKit.

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#5 Posted: 5 Nov 2007 23:12 
it's not working again.. perhaps i got the wrong AmigaOS3.9 image, I can get the correct one from AmigaForever, right?

thanks for your help !!

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#6 Posted: 5 Nov 2007 23:51 
Em.. I just bought the Amiga4Ever online edition through amikt website (so that i can also support all your efford guys).

Can somebody help me install it now? I stack to the point where I need to choose the system files (again)

thanks...
George

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#7 Posted: 6 Nov 2007 00:34 
I really don't undertand what is going on. After installing Amiga4Ever, I just tried to run the AmiKit and I have chosen to AF installation and it worked. Does this mean that AmiKit detected the amiga4ever ? Or something else happened?

this is strange..

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 6 Nov 2007 08:25 
Hehe, it's not strange, it's a feature. The AmigaForever can be used to install AmiKit, according to the requirements.

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#9 Posted: 6 Nov 2007 20:00 
okay, thanks a lot!! it's working great now!

Ehem.. I always used to have a simple A500+ in the oldies... no harddisk, hence I have no clue on how to install some games that I currently have. I got a lot of ADF's (which I know that these are images from floppies, hence cannot be installed, right?) but also a few HDFs which I guess these can be installed.

Where can I find some help on how to install new applications / games on my amikit ?

thanks,
George

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 6 Nov 2007 20:24 
I am glad to hear it works for you.

There are two possibilities how to play ADF games:

1. You can insert them into WinUAE "Floppy drives" section, start the emulation (not AmiKit) and boot the ADF directly - this way you do not need the AmiKit at all.

2. You can insert them into WinUAE "Floppy drives" while AmiKit is running and download and run appropriate installer that will install the games onto hard drive so you can run these games by double-clicking their icons in AmiKit. The ADF installers (called WHDLoad installers) can be found here: http://whdload.de/download.html

The WHDLoad installers need to be unpacked first. Look at the Tutorial Videos how to unpack the archives.

For more information please refer to:
http://ale.emuunlim.com/guides/guides.shtml
http://www.tweakguides.com/Amiga_1.html
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/uae_faq.html

Author giorgoc
Partaker
#11 Posted: 8 Nov 2007 22:58 
great help! thanks a lot

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Define the source of system files

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑