AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Errors using 3.9 CD for info...

Author JGolden
Partaker
#1 Posted: 20 Jul 2007 19:40 
This is the other thing I stumbled into while trying to figure out the Mac problem...

I realized that in several posts you said it is better to use the OS3.9 CD then the Amiga Forever CD. I used the AF (couldn't find my OS 3.9 at the time) and realized I had hamstrung my self.

So I uninstalled the PC Amikit install and reinstalled with the OS3.9 CD. Install went fine... BUT!!!

I don't even get a status bar, just the Amiworld pic.

I disabled that and found that I immediatly get the message

: Unknown command
failed return code 10
1>

I know this means it's hit a snag trying to run something that isn't there, but:

A) ussually there is a name of a file before the ":" in ": Unknown command" but it is blank

B) The system loads fine, slow and incomplete, but fine with User-startup.safe

this leads to something in the user-startup but I can't find it...

Is it all worth it? Should i just stick with the AF install? What real benefits come from the 3.9 install? is speed one of them?

Thankz again,

Jgolden

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 22 Jul 2007 22:38 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and sorry for the delay.

I answer your last question first. "Amiga Forever" package does not contain all the files compared to AmigaOS3.9 CD. However these missing files are not very important because they are not direct part of the core OS. Some of them like EditPad are replaced by microgolded alternative anyway, etc. Read more here.

If you used AmigaForever as the source of the system files for AmiKit, it is enough to copy those few missing files from your AmigaOS3.9 CD manually. No need for complete re-installation.

With regards to your problem with starting up the AmiKit, I recommend to re-install it with AmigaOS3.9 CD again. Please follow these steps:

1) Install AmiKit 1.2.0 archive
2) Install AmiKit 1.3.0 cumulative update archive
3) Start AmiKit, import the system files from AmigaOS3.9 CD
4) Boot your AmiKit (note that the first boot takes MUCH longer because all the 1.2.0 -> 1.3.0 update archives have to be installed)
5) Once you get into desktop, the requester asks you to turn off AmiKit and start it again (this is necessary to enable DualPNG icon support)
6) Start AmiKit, once you get into desktop again, the Live Update informs you that the new on-line updates are available. Download them all and reboot your AmiKit
7) Install BoingBag 1&2 for OS3.9
8) Run "Install Patches" script located on desktop (optional)
9) ...and that's it, finally.

This procedure gets much easier as soon as the full 1.4.0 archive is released. You just install it, import OS, install both BoingBags and that's it. The update archive from 1.3.x to 1.4.0 will also be available so you don't need to re-install again, of course.

Author JGolden
Partaker
#3 Posted: 23 Jul 2007 17:23 Edited by: JGolden 
Hmm, I did all that exactly as posted and still the same error...

Does the scrpt for copying over the needed filesgive errors for missing or incomplete files?

Anyway, I took your advice and just kept with Amiga Forever. The only big annoyance to me is there is no test button for Screen Mode...

Eventhoguh I'm not trying to do it any more it would be nice to know about hte installer script...

and THANK YOU!!!! this is the coolest thing ever! And the fact that you put it together for free is also awesome!!! TANKZ!

J-Golden

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Errors using 3.9 CD for info...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑