AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Starting Amikit without the GUI

Author Greg Sargent
Partaker
#1 Posted: 7 May 2007 22:40 
This may need to be in a different section but how do I start Amikit without the gui so that I can have it log straight into Amikit when I boot windows?

I've setup a seperate user account in XP just for Amikit and would rather just login to windows and go straight to it.

Thanks

PS Amikit is absolutely wonderful....Great work!!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 8 May 2007 19:55 Edited by: AmiKit 
You can run the AmiKit directly instead of running the Windows (Explorer.exe) by entering a new value into the registry. NOTE: The following procedure assumes that your AmiKit is installed in C:\Program Files\AmiKit\

1) Download this configuration entry (right-click, Save as) and copy it to C:\Program Files\AmiKit\WinUAE\Configurations\ drawer.

2) Click Start, select Run and type regedit

3) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogo n

4) Change the Shell variable from Explorer.exe to:
"C:\Program Files\AmiKit\WinUAE\WinUAE.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\AmiKit\WinUAE\Configurations\AmiKit_direct.UAE" -s use_gui=no

5) Log off and log in to the same profile again and the WinUAE should start directly.

Remember that you won't be able to work with Windows anymore. The WinUAE/AmiKit will be run instead. If anything goes wrong or if you want to run Windows, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, select New Tasks and type Explorer.exe

Author alanwall
Partaker
#3 Posted: 10 May 2007 19:30 
ok I tried that and it did not work
I am guessing that I don't need the quotes in there
as I did not use them ?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 10 May 2007 23:59 Edited by: AmiKit 
Do you have AmiKit installed in C:\Program Files\AmiKit ? Actually, what you need to check is whether the AmiKit_direct.UAE points to your ROM file and AmiKit hardrive directory correctly. If not, set the absolute paths and save the config. Then run CMD and try to run AmiKit by entering the command as described above. If it works, you can replace the Explorer.exe in registry.

Author alanwall
Partaker
#5 Posted: 11 May 2007 19:24 
no I have a partition just for Amiga emulation and pretty sure I pointed to
that path in the uae file. Will double check and verify and get back to you
and did have that path in the registry

Author JGolden
Partaker
#6 Posted: 24 Jul 2007 08:10 
Don't mean to take over the thread, but I was interested in doing this too and it WORKED!!!! the down side is it makes Amikit the desktop for ALL my profiles, not just the one I wanted it to...

Help?

J-Golden

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 24 Jul 2007 09:45 
AmigaBlitter, are you here? Actually the guide mentioned above is his idea so he would be able to help I hope...

Author alanwall
Partaker
#8 Posted: 29 Jul 2007 23:40 
not really the right place but close.
I got a new pc program called Jing that allows you to make video screen grabs so to test made one of the Winuae config screen it's at
http://home.comcast.net/~amigarebol/winuae.swf
and the Amiga swfplayer does work with it so maybe AmigaBlitter can get
Jing-it's free-and make one for JGolden

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Starting Amikit without the GUI

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑