AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Problems with 1.2.4 installation - file download

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#1 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 15:47 
Every time I try to download and install update 1.2.4 with LiveUpdate my
AmiKit locks up! The download starts but shortly afterwards AmiKit locks
up after downloading part of the update.

On restarting AmiKit with a reset the RecentActionLog reports that:-

"AmiKit_Update124.lzx not found. Please install the update again."

When I check the AmiKitDownloadTemp directory it contains the part
filearchive that was downloaded - AmiKit_Update124.lzx. (size 1,247,932)
but when I check the archive I receive a warning that the file is corrupt.

Any suggestions on getting around this problem?

Thanks,

TrevorDick

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 16:56 
Hello TrevorDick!

I've just tried to download 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 update through the Live Update program and both downloads were successfull. Please check your firewall settings or antivir or whatever, it is hard to troubleshoot without sitting in front of your computer, you know.

Anyway, there is another possibility to update your AmiKit. Simply download the update archives and scripts manually and place them to AmiKit:Expansion/ directory. Also download AmiKit-Startup file and place it to AmiKit:S/ directory. Then restart your AmiKit. For more detailed information please refer here.

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#3 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 19:08 
I don't think there is a problem with my firewall settings as I am able to
download other files from AmiKit/WinUae. However as a check I switched off all the security and firewalls on the PC side and retried LiveUpdate. However I got the same result - AmiKit froze ~halfway through downloading the update file. I manually downloaded and installed update 1.2.4. following the steps you recommended. No problem on re-start of AmiKit.

I then tried the LiveUpdate of 1.2.5 but got the same negative result. Amikit again froze halfway through the download. I again maunally downloaded and installed the 1.2.5 version. All OK on the restart of AmiKit. LiveUpdate now informs me I have the latest version installed.

I am running AmiKit on a Sony VGC-V2S under Windows XP Pro. I am also
using it on my JVC laptop which seems to work OK. Very Strange.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 12 Dec 2006 19:39 
I have no idea what's wrong, but according to your last paragraph, it must be something in your Sony. Do you use both laptops with the same internet connection/provider?

Have you also experienced similar problems with 1.2.3 update archive? If no, do you remember what SW have you installed meanwhile?

I try to ask the author of the Live Update if he can prepare some debug version for you... Thanks for the report Trevor!

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#5 Posted: 13 Dec 2006 10:43 
The sony is a desktop and both computers are attached to my broadband modem router (along with several other Amiga's and PC's). I think 1.2.3 updated OK with LiveUpdate but it was a while ago. I have since installed WinUAE 1.3.3, but nothing else on the Amiga side.

Rgds

TrevorDick

Author Deniil
#6 Posted: 14 Dec 2006 20:41 
One idea I have would be that the executable may have been corrupted.

Try getting it fresh from somewhere.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 15 Dec 2006 11:57 Edited by: AmiKit 
If I understand it right, the update problem occurs on your Sony laptop only while the live update process on JVC laptop works OK, is that correct?

Cannot be the problem caused by the file protection as you reported here? Providing that the file protection issue is related to your Sony laptop only, it could be possible the problem existed even before updating and that's why the Live Update was not able to save the LZX archive completely...

Author Deniil
#8 Posted: 15 Dec 2006 22:43 
The Live Update shouldn't crash just because it can't read or write some files.

Also, if file protection is the issue it should not be able to download have the update and then crash?!

Author TrevorDick
Partaker
#9 Posted: 16 Dec 2006 23:30 Edited by: TrevorDick 
The problem on my Sony Desktop was overcome by manually downloading and installing updates 1.2.4 and 1.2.5. I'm pleased to say I was able to update 1.2.6 automatically with LiveUpdate.

The file protection problem is with my JVC notebook and is a windows XP related problem which is still being investigated. (see other thread). You are correct, I cannot download any updates to the JVC laptop, which incidentally was working fine with LiveUpdate until the file protection problem which is affecting all the folders and files in the program files folder on my d: drive.

TrevorDick

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Problems with 1.2.4 installation - file download

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑