AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 324 [28 Nov 2019 07:12]
Guests - 324 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

How do i rerun romfind

Author wiser3
Partaker
#1 Posted: 26 Nov 2019 03:33 
Installing on Windows 10

During install RomFind couldn't find a rom in my AmigaOS-3.1.4-A1200 zip. So i extracted the kick.a1200.46.143 rom file to my desktop and had it search there. Still didn't recognize it.
I inserted my Amiga Forever 2006 CD and had it search that. Also didn't find anything.

Bought the latest Amiga Forever 8. Doesn't matter if i try a fresh install, a modify install or a repair install RomFind doesn't come up. The checkbox for installing Picasso96 is there, but not RomFind.

How do i get it to start RomFind so i can have it search my Amiga Forever 8 iso?

My third night trying to install this. NOT having fun yet.

Author wiser3
Partaker
#2 Posted: 26 Nov 2019 05:00 
In 'AmiKit XE/ROMs' i found the "put kick.rom here.txt" instructions and manually copied the files over.
Used my Amiga OS 3.1.4 zip for set up and it works.

Some night soon i'll tackle WHDLoad.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 26 Nov 2019 10:12 
Hi wiser3, and sorry for the inconvenience.

You can run ROMFind from your Windows startmenu or from it's folder in AmiKit XE/ROMs as you figured it out.

While it is OK that ROMFind didn't find anything in the ZIP archive (as it cannot look inside the archives), it's strange it did not unpacked ROM or any other version you provided.

Here, with AmigaForever 8 installed, right after you click Search button, the "KS ROM v3.1 (A1200)" is found in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\rom folder. It's named "amiga-os-310-a1200.rom"

I also tried to point ROMFind to a folder with kick.a1200.46.143.rom (from Amiga 3.1.4 package) and it was found and identified as "KS ROM v3.1.4 (A1200)".

Anyway, you figured it out and placed your rom to AmiKit XE/ROMs and renamed it kick.rom - exactly as AmiKit Quick Guide states. Feel free to check the document for more details including instructions on where to copy WHDLoad ROMs.

By the way, if I may recommend the OS for AmiKit, use the ROM from AmigaForever8 ("amiga-os-310-a1200.rom") and then install AmiKit with the "AF installed" button when it asks for the OS. The Amiga Forever 8 must be installed on your Windows, of course.

Hope it helps,
Jan

Author wiser3
Partaker
#4 Posted: 27 Nov 2019 07:11 
AmiKit:
By the way, if I may recommend the OS for AmiKit, use the ROM from AmigaForever8 ("amiga-os-310-a1200.rom") and then install AmiKit with the "AF installed" button when it asks for the OS. The Amiga Forever 8 must be installed on your Windows, of course.

What is the advantage of using the "AF installed" button?

I used had used my AmigaOS3.1.4 for installation. Could i use "AF installed" then install AOS3.1.4 over it?

Any issues using AOS3.1.4.1?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 27 Nov 2019 11:18 Edited by: AmiKit 
"AF installed" button is the fastest and easiest way to install AmiKit on Windows. It simply imports files from your Amiga Forever installation so you don't need to insert any CD or mount ISO or anything like that.

Amiga 3.1.4 is fine, I especially like that you can move the windows out of screen. What I miss is the ReAction GUI. As you can notice in OS3.9 or AF, all the system's Prefs programs use ReAction while in OS3.1.4 they use the old (and ugly) GUI. I just hope it changes in future OS3.1.4 updates.

Yes, you can use "AF installed" button and then use MorpheuZ > "OS Update" button to update to OS3.1.4 to achieve the best of the both worlds, actually. Those Prefs programs will keep using the old GUI anyway but at least the ReAction GUI will be installed too and thus available to other programs.

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 How do i rerun romfind

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑