AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

OS4 mouse in Flowerpot install

Author xenic
Partaker
#1 Posted: 19 Oct 2019 20:37 
I've installed OS4 in Windows with FlowerPot but have some issues with the way the mouse works. I can't scroll windows with the scroll button on the mouse like I can on my X1000. If I scroll the mouse in one direction the scrollbar in the window doesn't move. Instead the window scrollbars move with mouse pointer movement. I have to click outside the window to stop the scrollong with mouse pointer movement. Scrolling the mouse in the other direction does nothing. With my OS4 Amiga (X1000) the scroll button on the mouse just scrolls a window scroller up or down. How do I get the mouse scroller button to work the way it does on my OS4 Amiga (X1000)?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 19 Oct 2019 21:58 
Hi, do you mean a mouse wheel? I am not sure if that is even supported by WinUAE. Make sure to update to the latest WinUAE version. Maybe try to enable "Install virtual mouse driver" in Game ports of WinUAE settings.

Author xenic
Partaker
#3 Posted: 20 Oct 2019 23:02 
AmiKit:
Hi, do you mean a mouse wheel? I am not sure if that is even supported by WinUAE.

Mouse wheel would be a better term. The mouse wheel is supported in AmigaForever. If I click on the mouse image below the Workbench window in AmigaForever there are 2 menu items: "Emulated Port 1" and "PC Device". The sub-menu "Mouse" is checkmarked in "Emulated Port 1". In "PC Device" the "Windows Mouse" sub-menu is checkmarked by default. If I checkmark "Raw Mouse (HID-compliant mouse [1])" in the "PC Device" menu then the mouse wheel works as it should on an Amiga (i.e. the mouse wheel move window scrollbars up or down).

I can't enable the "Install virtual mouse driver" in the WinUAE Game ports settings. That setting is not active and clicking on it does nothing.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 21 Oct 2019 12:09 
Please note there is a huge difference between OS3 and OS4 emulation. When you said it works with Amiga Forever, did you mean OS3 or OS4 emulation under Amiga Forever?

The "Install virtual mouse driver" cannot be activated on the fly (while emulation is running). Quit the emulation, start the FlowerPot launcher and click the CONFIGURE button. This way you should be able to activate the option. Then start the emulation.

Author xenic
Partaker
#5 Posted: 21 Oct 2019 15:37 Edited by: xenic 
AmiKit:
Please note there is a huge difference between OS3 and OS4 emulation. When you said it works with Amiga Forever, did you mean OS3 or OS4 emulation under Amiga Forever?

I meant the OS3 emulation. I've only installed OS4 in Flower Pot because others said it was easier than installing it in manually.
AmiKit:
The "Install virtual mouse driver" cannot be activated on the fly (while emulation is running). Quit the emulation, start the FlowerPot launcher and click the CONFIGURE button. This way you should be able to activate the option. Then start the emulation.

O.K. I followed your instructions and activated "Install virtual mouse driver". That resulted in a double mouse pointer so I had to change "Magic mouse cursor mode" from "Show both cursors" to "Show native cursor only". The final result of activating "Install virtual mouse driver" is that the mouse wheel is deactivated (which is better than having it pop up menus on Workbench). I would prefer it to work correctly.

If the mouse wheel is popping up menus on Workbench for OS3 users that don't own OS4 hardware, they might just think that's how OS4 works. Am I the only one who has reported this problem?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 21 Oct 2019 21:41 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi,

I am not sure how it works in AmigaForever's OS3 emulation, but in AmiKit there's FreeWheel program installed in WBStartup which adds support for mouse wheel.

FlowerPot (unlike AmiKit with more than 420 programs pre-installed) is "just" a smart and easy installer installer of OS4 on your PC. It includes only basic programs like sound and network drivers pre-configured. Everything else is simply OS4 at its basics.

The mouse wheel don't work for me in FlowerPot/OS4 setup either. But I simply thought that an extra program similar to FreeWheel is required on OS4. If that is not true and OS4 supports the mouse wheel on system level by default, and it does not work in emulation, then the emulation engine should be blamed. Or maybe not? I found this discussion with the author of WinUAE regarding the mouse wheel support in OS4: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81146&page=23 Check the post at the bottom of the page and then next page for his answer.

Author xenic
Partaker
#7 Posted: 22 Oct 2019 01:01 
AmiKit:
I found this discussion with the author of WinUAE regarding the mouse wheel support in OS4: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81146&page=23 Check the post at the bottom of the page and then next page for his answer.

On the answer page one user posted a link to an OS4 PPC version of FreeWheel. I D/L it and installed it and added it to WBStartup. Initially it fixed scrolling in one direction. I changed the FlowerPot->Game ports->Port 1 setting from "Windows mouse" to "HID-complient mouse [1]" and the mouse wheel will now scroll a window up and down. It looks like my problem is solved.

You might want to consider adding the OS4 PPC version of FreeWheel (named Wheel) to Flower Pot and add a statement in the Flower Pot docs that tells the user to try adding "Wheel" to WB startup and alter the Game ports setting if their mouse wheel doesn't work normally.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 22 Oct 2019 19:34 Edited by: AmiKit 
Nice, thanks for that! I've just tried "Wheel" and it works for me too. Btw. are you sure you need to switch from "Windows mouse" to "HID-compliant mouse" in WinUAE/Game ports? The mouse wheel works for me even with "Windows mouse" here.

Author xenic
Partaker
#9 Posted: 23 Oct 2019 01:10 
I tested again with "Windows mouse" set in WinUAE/Game ports and I can't scroll in both directions (wheel up & down). It's possible that I changed other settings in my efforts to get it working which is resuling in it not working right with "Windows mouse" set. We're dealing with 3 set of configs: WinUAE, OS4 prefs and Windows settings. Not to mention that we are probably using different Windows computers and possibly different versions of Windows. At this point I can't explain why "Windows mouse" isn't working for me but I'll investigate further tommorrow. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 OS4 mouse in Flowerpot install

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑