AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Flower Pot Installation and Setup problems

Author xenic
Partaker
#1 Posted: 11 Oct 2019 18:32 
I've never used UAE before so I purchased AmigaForever and Flower Pot. I installed AmigaForever to get the needed files for Flower Pot install. AmigaForever works fine and I installed Flower Pot following the PDF instructions. The installation worked but the only screen resolutions that were available were OS3.1 PAL and Multisync screens. Someone at Amigans.net sent me the uaegfx monitor driver; which I installed and now have the UAE resolutions available. However, when I set higher resolutions other than 800x600 I just get a tiny OS4 Workbench window at the upper left of my Windows 10 laptop screen. Even when I use fullscreen mode I either get a tiny window at the upper left of the screen or a window that is stretched to the width of the screen but has the wrong aspect ratio ( the icons get much wider).

How do I get an OS4 workbench that fills most of the screen with the correct aspect ratio?

I read (and told by others) that when I installed OS4.1FEupdate1 I would get more memory available. After installing update1 the avail command shows the same amount of memory available as before installing update1. How do I get the additional memory?

When I open the the UAE settings (F12) I don't see any Save button. How do I save the UAE settings?

If I can't get a usable OS4 window size I want to remove the FLower Pot OS4 installation. How can I uninstall Flower Pot without affection UAE for my AmigaForever install?

Author xenic
Partaker
#2 Posted: 12 Oct 2019 15:52 
Getting a correct higher resolution Workbench screen problem was my fault. I failed to change the 'Height' and 'Width' gadgets in the the Screenmode prefs. Changing them to 'Default' fixed the problem and I now have correct screen sizes. However, my other questions are still valid; especially concerning additional memory that should be available after installing OS4.1FEupdate1.

Author saghalie
Partaker
#3 Posted: 13 Oct 2019 22:35 Edited by: saghalie 
You have to edit your startup sequence and edit C:Bootloader to read C:Bootloader COMMANDLINE "NoRamPager"

You will then see the extra memory

Hope this helps!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 14 Oct 2019 23:44 
Hi Xenic,

there must be something wrong with your Flower Pot installation, I believe. Normally, the AmigaOS4 boots into high-resolution screenmode and you don't need to change anything, you don't need to import any uaegfx driver. Everything is included.

Can you please tell me your computer configuration? Hardware, Operating System and your monitor resolution?

Regarding the expanded RAM size with OS4.1 Update 1 - you don't need to edit your startup-sequence as Saghalie suggested. It's already there! All you need to do is to press F12, go to "RAM" section and increase Z3 RAM there. To save your settings, go to "Configurations" section, click "Save as" button and overwrite default.uae file.

Author xenic
Partaker
#5 Posted: 15 Oct 2019 03:42 
AmiKit
My system is a Samsung 740U laptop running the latest Windows 10 with a screen resolution of 1920x1080. I also had the latest AmigaForever installed (8.1.1 ?) in order to get the required files for FLower Pot. It's possible that I made some mistakes in the Flower Pot install. I know I started to partition drives but cancelled and then clicked next for the rest of the install. I have OS4.1FEupdate1 running well now. I have Internet connection working and D/L messages with YAM. The sound is working but with some short breaks; possibly because the MP3 files are on a hardfile which I assume can be slow. I set up 2 hardfiles (Work & Data) with 10GB capacity. After I set them up and had them working, i read that hardfiles can only be 2GB. There was an SFS error message (too many cylinders) during the setup but OS4 formatted them and they work fine so far.

I normally use an Amiga X1000 and ran up against memory issues (no enough) with Flower Pot. That's why I wanted to know about the additional memory addition. I'll try your suggestion and see that helps. I'm accustomed to running multiple screens on my X1000 but I may not be able to do that in the emulation.

The USB availabllity is a life saver when it comes to adding files. Windows seems to ignore protection bits and file comments so I just put files in lha archives to copy them over. Since I never used WinUAE before I didn't understand how the prefs were saved. You might want to add some small details like that to the PDF docs. It might be a good idea to back up the original default.uae file first.

Now that I have Flower Pot working, is it safe to remove AmigaForever now? Thanks for the help.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 15 Oct 2019 08:21 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Xenic, sorry for my late initial response. I was at Amiga34 event in Germany.

You started to partition drives during Flower Pot installation? Uh oh, really? Are you sure you followed Flower Pot installation instructions precisely? I mean I made everything as easy as possible - everything is pre-installed and automated, you don't need to partition any drive nor import any more files to OS4. With Flower Pot you should be able to set-up a working and ready-to-use OS4 desktop in just few clicks, really.

Check this video I found: https://youtu.be/KqBFsZ-dD9w - you REALLY need to keep clicking Next, Next, Next... during OS4 installation. Don't change anything. Flower Pot will automatically configure everything for you later.

Maybe it would be wise to re-install Flower Pot from scratch?

Yes, of course, it is safe to remove Amiga Forever now. Flower Pot just needed one specific file from it.

Btw. it's good idea to update WinUAE in your FlowerPot installation. Simply download ZIP archive from www.winuae.net and copy new winuae.exe file to your Flower Pot\WinUAE folder (and overwrite the old file there). Newer WinUAE, the emulation engine, is always faster and more stable.

Author xenic
Partaker
#7 Posted: 15 Oct 2019 22:52 Edited by: xenic 
AmiKit:
Maybe it would be wise to re-install Flower Pot from scratch?

I'll try that if all else fails.

Yes, of course, it is safe to remove Amiga Forever now. Flower Pot just needed one specific file from it.

O.K. I just wanted to be sure that Amiga Forever & Flower Pot weren't using the same UAE files.

Btw. it's good idea to update WinUAE in your FlowerPot installation. Simply download ZIP archive from www.winuae.net and copy new winuae.exe file to your Flower Pot\WinUAE folder (and overwrite the old file there). Newer WinUAE, the emulation engine, is always faster and more stable.

There are 32 bit and 64 bit versions of winuae.exe. I have a 64 bit processor so will Flower Pot work with the WinUAE file named winuae64.exe or do I need to use the 32 bit file?

I changed the Z3 memory configuration from the default 512MB to 1GB and saved the config. It made no difference in the amount of memory avaliable inside OS4. The Workbench Toolbar shows 126MB installed and the avail command shows 56MB available after Workbench is completely started. If I start the Odyssey WEB browser, the avail command shows only 2MB available. If I try to do anything else with Odyssey or start another program I get 'out of memory' messages or a crash. It seems I can only run small programs with low memory usage. If I can't get more memory available inside OS4, I'll have to try a smaller screen size.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 16 Oct 2019 12:45 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi,

you can try 64-bit version of WinUAE by renaming it to "winuae.exe" but I would generally recommend the 32-bit version.

Regarding the memory size, OS4.1FE in FlowerPot shows "126MB FAST RAM" by default. As soon as you install "Update 1" for OS4 and restart Flower Pot completely (reboot is not enough), it shows "646MB FAST RAM".

If it doesn't, it means you haven't installed the "Update 1" correctly or at all.

Here's my recommendation:

1. Rename your already installed "FlowerPot" folder to eg. "FlowerPot BAK" for instance. You can find it in C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

2. Go to Windows settings > Apps and uninstall Flower Pot (don't worry, your BAK folder will survive).

3. Now install FlowerPot.exe again. Let me know if you need the installer again and I will re-activate your download link. Just let me know the email you used to purchase it.

4. Now temporarily forget everything you think you know about OS4 and its installation ;) And just follow the Flower Pot guide EXACTLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Check the video mentioned above if you're not sure.

5. Now you should be looking at fully colorful OS4 desktop with 126MB RAM.

6. In Windows, unpack your "AmigaOS4.1FinalEditionUpdate1.lha" using WinRAR, for instance.

7. In OS4, locate the unpacked folder and just double-click the Installation icon.

8. When it's finished, quit Flower Pot and start it again. Now the OS4 desktop should show 646MB FAST RAM.

9. OPTIONAL: In Windows, replace FlowerPot\WinUAE\winuae.exe file with newer file from www.winuae.net (ZIP archive, 32-bit).

10. OPTIONAL: Before you start modifying your OS4, in Windows I recommend to backup FlowerPot\FlowerPot.hdf file. It now includes a working OS4.1FE+Update1 so you can start over from there if anything goes wrong in future.

Hope it helps!
Jan

Author xenic
Partaker
#9 Posted: 16 Oct 2019 14:32 Edited by: xenic 
AmiKit
Apparently I botched the installation because when I reinstalled Flower Pot and it's all working as it should; the uaegfx monitor and memory are now correct. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you and others who responded.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 16 Oct 2019 14:59 
No problem. I am glad it works for you now. Enjoy!

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Flower Pot Installation and Setup problems

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑