AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

During installation: 'Personal storage getting full'

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#1 Posted: 25 May 2019 11:31 
After booting from the usb stick, opening winuae by pressing the 'amikit' icon next to the 'home' icon, on 'CD & Hard drives' selecting the iso of my workbench, putting 'Picasso96.lha' in the 'Rabbit hole' folder, and pressing 'Start', the installation starts. After a while I get a message that 'Personal storage getting full', after that a looping 'blockid error' on various files.
Any idea what causes this?

Thanks,
Tony
Error while installing amikit

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#2 Posted: 25 May 2019 12:33 
Ok!
The error was linux-based and not amikit.
I assumed the installation would take place on the usb stick, instead it was on the amipupsave.4fs file it created when I shut down the computer and with it the amipup session. It asked me if I wanted to create a save file for storing the changes I did and I said yes. AmiKit wanted to use that same file for installing AmiKit and since that file was 512mb it was too small for the installation to succed. That's why I got the errors I guess?
Now I resized the amipupsave.4fs file to 2,5gb and it installed great.
Even Sudoku ran without the AHI error I got before.

Jan/AmiKit, now I have another question: is Amikit meant to install on the usb stick? And how do I do that?

Thanks & greets,
Tony

amikit installed sudoku working

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 26 May 2019 01:35 
Hi,

I am not sure I understand your question.

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#4 Posted: 26 May 2019 09:10 
Hey Jan,

What i mean is:
Is it the intention that if you install AmiKit on the USB stick, all the files needed are on the stick as well? So you can boot every pc with the stick and be able to run AmiKit from it.
Now I have a file called "amipupsave.4fs" which is located on a hard drive on my pc.
Hope you understand it now

Grts,
Tony

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 5 Jun 2019 22:52 
Hi Tony, sorry for the delay. I needed a vacation badly.

The amipupsave.4fs file means extra 2GB (or more) on the flash disk. While it might contain fully installed AmiKit from your previous session, loading extra files on boot might be slow and takes more RAM space.

Personally I would just copy ROM, AmigaOS and Picasso96 on the flash disk and every time I boot the flash disk I would install AmiKit with those files from scratch.

Hope it makes sense.

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#6 Posted: 6 Jun 2019 20:38 
AmiKit
Hello Jan,

No need for excuse, you reply when you have time for it.
Do you mean everytime I boot the stick, I have to install AmiKit into Ram or hard drive? I thought the use of the stick was to have a ready-installed AmiKit.
Putting those 3 files on the stick is a good idea, I'll do that for sure. For the rest, I'll experiment, already made a copy of the stick so I can't f*&% that up
Thanks!

Grts,
Tony

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 7 Jun 2019 11:48 
Every time you boot the stick, it will copy all OS files to RAM automatically. That is part of the boot process. The whole thing then runs in RAM. It's blazing fast, but any changes you make will be lost, of course, until you save them to amipupsave.4fs on shut down. But such file is 2GB+ large and will be loaded to RAM next time you boot the stick.

So I would recommend not to create such file, and boot the stick at its default. And when you want to run AmiKit, just run RomFind and then AmiKit and it will be installed and run (providing you have ROM, Picasso96 and AmigaOS files around).

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#8 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 10:34 
AmiKit
Ah..I see. Thanks for the clear explanation. I think I'm gonna experiment with both ways. If the loading times of the amipup file are not to bad I see more advantages of using it that way.
Thanks again for creating a really great product!

Grts,
Tony

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 10:47 
Alternatively, you can make an ISO image of the flash disk and experiment virtually using VMware Workstation Player.

Author toyamigo

Partaker
#10 Posted: 8 Jun 2019 11:42 
AmiKit
Thats a great idea too! Will save a lot of time booting usb sticks
Thanks!

Grts,
Tony

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 During installation: 'Personal storage getting full'

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑