AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Installation on win machine.

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#1 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 11:21 
I have the OS and KS files needed for a clean as new install. The amikitx-setup.exe is run, I get to the ROM directory and that is OK.
Then I run Amikit.exe and I get this error "*** Caught unhandled unknown exception; terminating" what is the cause of this problem please, and how do I overcome this?
Any help sincerely appreciated. John

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 11:43 
Hi John,

For AmiKit Launcher (AmiKit.exe) you need at least Windows 7 or better.

But you should be able to run AmiKit even without the Launcher.

Run winuae.exe located in WinUAE folder. When WinUAE window pops up, go to Configurations and double-click AmiKit default configuration entry.

That will launch AmiKit the same way as the Launcher.

Hope it helps.

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#3 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 12:44 
launcher will not load. ps it is a win 8.1 pc. it is bizarre...I will keep trying. but something is not correct.

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#4 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 14:31 
Hi Jan,

Can you ensure that I got the correct amikitX installer please. I should not have this error " *** Caught unhandled unknown exception; terminating " It is like I am missing something important to make the installation work properly. it should be a breeze to install, as I have never run any Amiga emulator, etc before, on this PC.
The downloaded amikitx-setup.exe file is 268.5Mb, and when the .HDF file was extracted during installation, I cannot open that .HDF file with TC, ( just to check what is happening) which will open ANY other .HDF file I can find with no problems. ( found a few on the 'net) please double check, as there is a fatal error for me, as I try and try again to get amikitX up and running. just as I start the installation a small window flashes up, but disappears quickly, so I am not sure what that is. Cheers. John

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 15:52 
The AmiKit's HDF is of "dynamic" type. That's probably why it is not recognized by TC.

Anyway, I've sent you a new download link. Please download it again.

Did you try winuae.exe as I suggested in my previous post, please?

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#6 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 22:20 
I did Jan, with mixed results. I feel that the "proper" installation method should work correctly. I will download the setup.exe again and try again to install.

thanks, John

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#7 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 22:28 
can I try an earlier version to install? the X version still shows that error as above Jan?

I see the word "PURCHASE" shown in the install window, but no reference to what to purchase? Is there a MS package that needs installing to run amikit?

I will find the cause of this error, but it could take some time.

J

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 28 Oct 2018 23:48 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi John, you can try AmiKit 8. Download it for free from https://www.amikit.amiga<wbr>.sk/store (scroll down the page).

Btw. the Purchase button refers to AmigaOS. It's not related...

But you can install Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 redistributable package: https://support.microsof<wbr>t.com/en-us/help/2977003/<wbr>the-latest-supported-visu<wbr>al-c-downloads
Maybe the AmiKit installer could not install it for you.

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#9 Posted: 29 Oct 2018 00:13 
OK, I made sure that the 2017 C++ redist was installed, no luck, as same error. I then downloaded and installed V8... the same error came up.

Quite frustrating Jan.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 29 Oct 2018 00:28 Edited by: AmiKit 
I am sorry for the inconvenience, John. I've never seen such error message before. Do you use any antivirus? Can you disable it before you launch AmiKit?

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#11 Posted: 29 Oct 2018 10:23 
After sitting at my PC all day, I am still unable to get Amikit-X installed. Same error message prevails. I am totally gobsmacked that I cannot achieve a positive outcome with a simple installation task.
I am not sure what else to try, I have googled the error but with limited success unfortunately. Totally annoyed with this problem I have.

I also disabled my AV software too, but no success.
I was sure I would be playing SILKWORM again after almost 30 years, but alas...
Cheers Jan, John

Author AmiKit
Admin
#12 Posted: 29 Oct 2018 10:25 
I am sorry for the inconvenience, John. Perhaps you could install TeamViewer so I could check your installation remotely? https://www.teamviewer.com/
Send me an email to amikit@gmail.com with login details, please.
Thanks,
Jan

Author John_Mack
Partaker
#13 Posted: 29 Oct 2018 13:44 
Hi JAN!!!!!!

I really want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for helping me sort out the installation issue I had with win8.1 It is TRULY AMAZING to see an "Amiga" again. Moreover, in a brighter and very much more useful package that AMIKIT-X brings. Just INCREDIBLY AMAZING. It is like reliving my younger days...but BETTERRRRRRR!!!! THANK YOU JAN.

John, LEWISTON in South Australia

Author AmiKit
Admin
#14 Posted: 30 Oct 2018 09:44 
Happy to help! I am glad you like AmiKit! Thank you for your kind words

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Installation on win machine.

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ TOP