AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0
I have a problem with installation AmiKit Support Forum / I have a problem with installation /  

Migration from 8.x to 10.x

Author ccapublic
Partaker
#1 Posted: 12 Sep 2017 20:08 
Hi,

I've been an occasional still enthusiast amikit user for quite some years now. Still it's been a few months since I used it. As I launched it today, it informed me about the availability of 10.x updates, that need to be manually downloaded and installed.

As far as I understand from the website, 10.x is not free any more (I have no problem with this - I used to donate regularly anyway). My question is : if I buy the 10.x version, will I be able to safely upgrade from 8.x, or shall I re-install from scratch ?

Once more : good job to all people (and especially Jan) involved in keeping Amikit alive !

Cyril.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 12 Sep 2017 20:38 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Cyril and welcome back!

Short story: AmiKit 8 cannot be upgraded to AmiKit X. The newest X version is a brand new installation. But both versions can coexist on the same computer (providing you install the new one to its own separate folder).

Long story: AmiKit X was originally developed for (and on) ALICE laptop as its main operating system. Even though AmiKit 8 was used as a basis for new AmiKit X, an update archive was never planned. There was no need for it as there was no ALICE laptop with AmiKit 8 that would need to be updated, of course Later, when I was thinking about to release AmiKit X even outside ALICE (because the laptop project got delayed), there were SO many changes in the new version that creating an update archive for AmiKit 8 became impossible.

Yes, AmiKit 8 can detect the update on the server and then it displays "download it manually" message. This text was originally reserved for "manual" updates which were able to update things outside of AmiKit, for example WinUAE.exe. In case of AmiKit X "update", the text is a little bit misleading, I know, but it cannot be modified.

Anyway, if you decide to purchase AmiKit X, you will get a brand new and shining AmiKit with MANY new features. On top of that, unlike AmiKit 8, the new AmiKit X is being constantly developed. 3 free updates were released since its initial public release

Author ccapublic
Partaker
#3 Posted: 13 Sep 2017 21:44 
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the detailed story.

I'll have a deeper look at X vs 8 features. No doubt it includes many new great features though.

To be honest I liked the "try and donate if you use/like it". But I guess users did not play the game enough to sustain a high development pace.

Jumping on the features list right away.

Cheers

Cyril.

I have a problem with installation AmiKit Support Forum / I have a problem with installation /
 Migration from 8.x to 10.x

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top