Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 
Welcome to AmiKit Support Forum!

(Click here for main AmiKit website)
none

Forums Search Register Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
I have a problem with installation AmiKit Support Forum / I have a problem with installation /

Attempting to install 8.5 update...

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »  
Author StragerOne
Registered
#1 Posted: 30 Jul 2017 21:20 
I have Amiga Forever with the AmiKit as part of the setup. I am using AF 2016 Plus Edition 2016.0.027.0
I was able to install setup AMiKit without issues and launch it (again without issues). I did a upgrade check and there were several waiting so I decided to do the incremental to 8.5 first as it was next in line. Downloaded without issue and did a reboot thinking it would find the upgrade and continue on. However its stalled at the loading screen after initiating a reboot from the shutdown options. I removed the AmiKit installed folder off of the windows (after backing it up) and was able to do a fresh install of it. Tried the d/load again and same issue. ITs been stuck at the loading screen for the last 30mins. Am I missing something here? I did see something about doing manual update, but have been unable to search that process out yet...

Author mark8564
Registered
#2 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 05:54 
Am having the same problem was working fine until i installed the updates now it stays at the loading screen loading bar goes to the end but that's it.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:10 
Press Esc key to see what's happening behind the boot screen. Usually there is some window waiting for your input. Anyway, if you can, please disable bootpic program in startup-sequence. It's the line calling ShowAmiga96 program (btw. AmiKit X disables it automatically when updating so the update progress is visible).

Btw. from what version are you updating your AmiKit 8?

Author mark8564
Registered
#4 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:16 
that's strange pressed the Esc key like you said loaded up but box came up asking for rabbit hole, i thought that was just for version 10 ?

Author mark8564
Registered
#5 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:23 
Please insert volume Rabbit hole in any Drive that's why it's getting stuck on loading, any body any idea what's gone wrong.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:24 
Yes, it's strange. But only until I get more info, please With what AmiKit version number you started the update process? And which update it was? Check what AmiKit:Expansion/RecentAction.log says. Btw. your host system is Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, AmiPUP or other?

Author mark8564
Registered
#7 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:42 
think it was version 8 don't know what update caused the problem because it was downloading all the updates from 8.2 till 8.5 my host computer is windows 10, gigabyte x199 motherboard i think 6 core fx cpu 8gb ddr3 memory nvidia 210 video card

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:46 
Ok, thanks!

Please check what AmiKit:Expansion/RecentAction.log file. What does it say?

Does AmiKit boot or still asking for Rabbit Hole?

Author mark8564
Registered
#9 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 06:54 
when i press the esc key box Please insert volume Rabbit hole in any Drive if i press cancel it loads no problem, at the moment am not able to check the AmiKit:Expansion/RecentAction.log file windows restarted now it's doing updates, will check later.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 08:29 
Oki, thanks!
Jan

Author AmiKit
Admin
#11 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 10:49 
Okay, I found the bug. My bad. There is a script, which is used by all AmiKits, regardless of the version number. And in this script I ask if RabbitHole exists. Unfortunately, AmigaDOS displays this "Insert Rabbit Hole" requester if not found. While AmiKit X includes Rabbit Hole, older AmiKit 8 does not. And I did not test the script with AmiKit 8, you know.

Anyway, the fix is simple:

1) Press ESC on boot pic screen.
2) Cancel the RabbitHole requester
3) Then go to AmiKit:S folder and edit AmiKit-Startup file. Delete all the lines between "BEGIN of RABBIT HOLE CHECK" and "END of RABBIT HOLE CHECK"

Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe it's time for you to switch to new AmiKit X?

Author mark8564
Registered
#12 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 21:17 
Did what you asked now boots right to the desktop, Thankyou for you help Admin.

1) Press ESC on boot pic screen.
2) Cancel the RabbitHole requester
3) Then go to AmiKit:S folder and edit AmiKit-Startup file. Delete all the lines between "BEGIN of RABBIT HOLE CHECK" and "END of RABBIT HOLE CHECK"

Author StragerOne
Registered
#13 Posted: 31 Jul 2017 21:51 
So if I remove the text from the file regarding rabbit hole, it should go ahead and do the update from 8.4 to 8.5?
I did so and I'm assuming its updating as that message is now gone when I hit the esc key... but loading screen is still there...
Maybe I am just being impatient, but thought I might see some sort of progress happen, unless I broke the install by hitting the escape key?!

I am running on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit install. I am also trying this on my Dell 7280 2/1 laptop/tablet... since I can't take my desktop to work with me to play...

Author mark8564
Registered
#14 Posted: 1 Aug 2017 00:52 
Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe it's time for you to switch to new AmiKit X?

Just bought Amikit x just installed going to play Another world

Author StragerOne
Registered
#15 Posted: 1 Aug 2017 02:22 
While moving on to the AmiKit X is a valid choice.

I would like to be able to get working what should work before moving on in case I prefer to go backwards. A little quirk of mine since my first Commodore 64 and then on to the SX-64, the C-128 (numerous of them) The first A-500 the 1000, 2000, and finally the 3000 tower I bought as the last Amiga I had. Along with the odd accelerators, chip upgrades, memory expansions controllers, SCSI HD's modems and all of he other goodies and software purchased over my CBM/Amiga days. So this is me reliving my days gone by...

Hmmmmmm if my wife had any idea of the discretionary funds I spent then, she might of kicked my ass.. good thing it was all bonus or overtime earnings..

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
I have a problem with installation AmiKit Support Forum / I have a problem with installation / Attempting to install 8.5 update... Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0