AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

How to reinstall Amikit after Reinstalling Windows?

Author Bugala
#1 Posted: 28 Jun 2012 07:46 
Due to windows getting completely stuck, I have just formatted C: drive and fresh installed XP on it.

Since I had Amikit installed on external Harddisk, i tried clicking on amikit.exe, but unfortunately it didnt work and i suppose i need to reinstall it.

However, What I am hoping is that I wouldnt be in need of reinstalling everything from beginning. I feel especially annoyed by the thought of finding and putting AmigaOS CDs inside to get Amikit properly installed.

I am also hoping not to be in need of reinstalling my Hollywood + Designer, since I would first need to install Hollywood4 and Designer 2.1 and then install them through each update that have come between the current versions, and that would be annoying.

Therefore, is there a way I can avoid these uncomfortabilities?

If i for example make copy of my Amikit folder, then just install the Amikit (without using AmigaOS CD or anything), and copy all the stuff back to my Amikit folder, would that work?

Author klesterjr
#2 Posted: 28 Jun 2012 19:30 
Of course you don't have to reinstall EVERYTHING!

I'm assuming that the external AmiKit install is in a different place (relatively speaking) or it would "just work" when you started it.

Since it doesn't start, there are a couple of ways to "fix" it (it's not really broken) -- first is to select "Configure WinUAE" at the startup screen and adjust the various locations of roms, harddrive folders, etc. This is the easiest/quickest way.

If this is beyond you, you could always do a basic reinstall and then substitute your "old" AmiKit folder with the "new" one (the AmiKit folder INSIDE the main AmiKit folder -- both folders have the same name). All the things you installed will be in that "old" folder. Also substitute your "old" ROMS folder as well.

I do this all the time -- AmiKit doesn't "need" to be installed, per se -- it just needs to be configured properly (which is what the installer handles).

Author Bugala
#3 Posted: 29 Jun 2012 03:34 
Thanks from help. I installed Amikit using Amiga Forever (bought it just moment ago), and now its working fine again. All hollywoods installed as they were.

Just deleted amikit directory and copied old backup of amikit directory there.

Author klesterjr
#4 Posted: 30 Jun 2012 21:16 
Very cool

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 How to reinstall Amikit after Reinstalling Windows?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑