AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /  

Speed and swap

Author AmigaPhil
#1 Posted: 4 Feb 2011 20:30 
(Recently installed AmiKit on Linux, fine-tunning the settings, part 2)

Sometimes, the responsivity of the emulation is slow. Like drawing menus from the start toolbar, popping up bubble info, or even accessing some files.
I believe this is (mainly) due to swapping.

My linux machine has a PIII, 550Mhz, 768Mb RAM and 600Mb swap.
E-UAE is configured with the max. mem settings as recommanded in the installation guide.

Can I safely shrink down the Fast Mem from 128Mb to 64Mb (as to reduce the need of swapping) ?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 4 Feb 2011 22:27 Edited by: AmiKit 
Yes, go ahead. Just check how much of FastMem is left after boot up.

Author AmigaPhil
#3 Posted: 5 Feb 2011 21:02 
I tried with 32Mb Z3 mem, but this does not seems to change anything as of speed. Afterall, swapping is probably in cause...

I also tried to set sdl.use_gl=true in .uaerc but then, the emulation was very slow (and jerky mouse). Seeing that, I now believe that this is the setting in the provided .uaerc-x86 that was not working well for me when I first installed AmiKit.
Also, this made me spot that Direct Rendering was again disable on my Linux system (I had to re-install the OS due to a HD crash).

Now Direct Rendering is enable, but with sdl.use_gl=true , E-UAE crash (exit) immediately. So I set it back to false , and E-UAE is running normally (it even seems that the Workbench display refresh is a bit faster, at least the Amikit menu is drawing faster.)

Still, running game like Deluxe Galaga is way too slow...

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#4 Posted: 12 Feb 2011 03:24 
Your machine is waaaay to slow.

You need more than 1500 Mhz.

Author AmigaPhil
#5 Posted: 12 Feb 2011 22:26 
Yes, I start to believe that my system is too weak for UAE emulation.

The slow-down is not (just) due to swapping, but display AND sound eating too much CPU cycles.
As this is not related to AmiKit but E_UAE, I started a thread on AmigaWorld.net
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33198&forum=8

Installation questions AmiKit Support Forum / Installation questions /
 Speed and swap

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑