AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Stupid amiga things I forget

Author haywirepc
Partaker
#1 Posted: 11 Oct 2009 14:50 
How do you get back to the workbench screen when an application is full screen? I'm sure there is a key combo I long forget to do this.

How can I kill a current full screen application if I want, for example, playing demos and I want to switch back to workbench and do something else in the middle of it.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 11 Oct 2009 15:48 Edited by: AmiKit 
How do you get back to the workbench screen when an application is full screen? I'm sure there is a key combo I long forget to do this.

Left Amiga Key (well the Windows key actually) + M toggles among screens while LeftAmiga + N switches to Workbench directly. Note that this works with system screens only (while most of the games and demos are not system friendly).

How can I kill a current full screen application if I want, for example, playing demos and I want to switch back to workbench and do something else in the middle of it.

There's no universak key for quitting the fullscreen applications. It's up to the particular program running in fullscreen. Those system ones generally have a menu (including the quit entry) accessible via holding right-mouse button. Those non-system ones (including demos and most of the games) control everything and even though you are lucky to quit it to Workbench, most of the time the system is left unstable.
This is not the case of demos or games running thanks to WHDLoad (the ones included in AmiKit). They can be stopped by F10 key I think (without the instability issue afterwards). The WHDLoad should pop this quit key information up before a game or demo is run (eg. AmiKit:Games/DeluxeGalaga)

Author haywirepc
Partaker
#3 Posted: 12 Oct 2009 05:25 
Thanks for the reply, can you also tell me...

How can I remove some or most of the eye candy, this machine runs okay but I think I need to strip some of that for faster operation.

I'd like regular old amiga os3.9 window decorations if possible, how can I do this in amikit? I love the whole setup, but the 3d stuff I can live without,
I'd prefer speed over the eye candy.

Also, I tried to get amidock working by copying it from inactive progs to the wbstartup. Nothing happens at start... If I click it still nothing happens.
Maybe I should try re-installing from aminet?

Is it just me or does the 68060 option in winuae just not work? I tried it on aforever, amikit and multiple machines, it just crashes.

Finally, if there is a way to tune windows xp so I can squeeze the best performance out of this old 1200mhz pc, I'm all ears. Made some progress, turned off all winxp eye candy, next I will try loading amikit as the default shell, that should help.

There is a nice guide for removing the windows startup/shutdown screens on amiga.org now, tried that and it works, now I just need to figure out replacing the shell and I'll have amikit booting direct from start with not
a mention of windows...

I tried windows-m key and windows-n key, seems like nothing happens but your right these are full screen demos and games, not very system friendly.

I'm sure I remember playing altered beast on my amiga 2000 and I could switch between workbench running a terminal program,and the game... strange but I can't do this with anything I've tried now.

Steven

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 16 Oct 2009 15:34 
Sorry for the delay. I am busy. Please check the Knowledge Base meanwhile I'll answer in detail.

Author amyren
Partaker
#5 Posted: 1 Nov 2009 22:18 
Just want to comment on the question about the 060 option. One reason for the crashes could be that you dont have 060 libs installed.
But if you install the 060 libraries, you will be stuck with the 060, because if you decide to run with a 020 or 040 cpu this will not work with the 060 libs.
I did try this here too, just for the test - and AmiKit doesnt start. I then tried to disable the CPU cache from the early start menu. Then it will boot until the progress bar reach about 75% before crashing. But I did not try to replace my libraries.

Anyway, there is little point in running in 060 mode unless you have a special program you need to run that is only made for the 060 cpu.
Even if the 060 cpu was faster than the 020 cpu, it does not give you a faster emulation. The PC cpu must work harder to emulate a faster cpu so there is no real gain.

To disable things to gain speed, you could try putting the items in the wb startup drawer into the disabled drawer, to see if this helps. Remove the backdrop image and see if it helps. Also you can see if the WB or Scalos mode seem faster.

One other thing that may give you a faster setup, is to try one of the older winuae versions. I think the 0.8.x version was quite fast --- but less compatible, so be warned. I did try the 0.8.23 version right as I write, but its not easy to get running properly. I needed to do some tweakin in the settings to get it to boot, and even then its not 100%. It stopped with the progress bar at 100%, so I had to hit the Esc to get it to continue. Then after some error messages the full colour WB showed. Not sure if its any faster either...

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 2 Nov 2009 20:54 
How can I remove some or most of the eye candy, this machine runs okay but I think I need to strip some of that for faster operation.

I'd like regular old amiga os3.9 window decorations if possible, how can I do this in amikit? I love the whole setup, but the 3d stuff I can live without,
I'd prefer speed over the eye candy.

Answered here.

Also, I tried to get amidock working by copying it from inactive progs to the wbstartup. Nothing happens at start... If I click it still nothing happens.
Maybe I should try re-installing from aminet?

If you installed AmiKit using the Amiga Forever, the AmiDock program itself is not there, actually. Only the icon file (AmiDock.info). Click here for more information.

Is it just me or does the 68060 option in winuae just not work? I tried it on aforever, amikit and multiple machines, it just crashes.

68060 emulation will not work unless 68060.library and probably other files are in place - which are not in AmiKit. In addition, there's no speed difference between 020 and 060 emulation so there's no point in using the 060 mode. The 020 mode is the most compatible one for majority of programs out there.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Stupid amiga things I forget

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑