AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

file association and shorter AmiKit start

Author Clyde
Partaker
#1 Posted: 11 Mar 2009 23:23 
Hi there!

I have two questions:

1) How can I associate a specific file type with an application? E.g. I want to open Hollywood script files (.hws - don't have .info file) automatically with golded.

2) Is there a shorter way to start AmiKit itself then clicking at "AmiKit.exe" and then "Run AmiKit" or start WinUAE and start the AmiKit config? These ways always need at least two steps but isn't it possible to directly boot into AmiKit with one click?

Thanks in advance!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 12 Mar 2009 12:20 Edited by: AmiKit 
1) I assume you use Magellan II environment:

Switch the lister to name mode and double-click the file you want to create a filetype for. A requester should show up, something like:
The file could not be identified.
Launch Filetype Sniffer to investigate?

Click the Sniff! button.

A Filetype Finder tool opens and searches the existing filetypes for any match. I assume that no match will be found. Therefore click the Create button to create a new filetype. Give a name to the new filetype and select one or more available identifiers:
Name, IFF, Group, ID, Bytes
I would not complicate the things and choose the Name identifier only.

Now click the Edit button. You will see the line Match Name + NameOfYourFile.hws. This means you created a filetype to a explicit file name. To make it general, edit this line and change NameOfYourFile.hws to #?.hws. Now you have a filetype for all .hws files. Click the Use button.

Now associate an action to your new filetype. Doubleclick the Double-click entry in Events menu. Then click the Add button. Change the Command to AmigaDOS and enter the following:
GoldED:GoldED {o}
Don't forget to enable the following options while you're there:
CD Source
Run Asynchronously

Now you have a defined a filetype and the default action performed on doubleclick. Maybe it looks complex but it isn't, really.

Btw. if the File Sniffer doesn't open as described, run the Filetype Editor manually: Right-mouse menu -> Settings -> File Types...

2) It is possible to create a text file in your installed AmiKit folder with the following content:
WinUAE\WinUAE.exe -f "../WinUAE/Configurations/AmiKit_v1.UAE" -s use_gui=no

Now rename the text file to eg. Start.bat and you have a script that runs WinUAE. However for some reason the AmiKit configuration is not loaded by WinUAE here - even though the path specified is correct. Toni?

Author Clyde
Partaker
#3 Posted: 12 Mar 2009 22:13 
1) I assume you use Magellan II environment:

Ah, really great! Thank you very much, that worked very well! I think that would be a good and useful text to put it into the FAQ/Knowledge Base!!!

2) It is possible to create a text file in your installed AmiKit folder with the following content:

That also helped me, thank you! So, here is the trick: Don't create a batch script. Just create a shortcut of winuae.exe e.g. at the desktop. Then, right click at the shortcut, open the properties and add the entry as follows:
your:\path\to\Amikit\Winuae\winuae.exe -f "Configurations/AmiKit_v1.uae" -s use_gui=no

And tarah, that works perfect.

Thanks a lot for your great help!

Greetings!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 13 Mar 2009 18:31 
Thanks for the tip, Clyde!

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 file association and shorter AmiKit start

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑