AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Can AmiKit mess my partition on windows side?

Author Bartekxyz
Partaker
#1 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 13:25 
Hello. I have used WinUAE before and always used hardfile as an amiga disk but now i have installed Amikit and realised that it uses folder as a harddrive. Is there any posibility that some application on amiga side would broke something on windows side ie. delete rdb or make mess in any other folder than specified for amiga partition? What about viruses? And what about fragmentation? Hardfile do nothing whith physical disk but folder probably fragments my disk with thousands of amiga files. What do you think?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 14:18 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and welcome to the AmiKit Support Forum.

Short answer: NO.

Detailed answer:
I use Windows folder system from the very beginning and I have never experienced any problem with Windows files, partitions or whatever.

No matter whether you use hardfile or folders, the path to AmiKit system partition is strictly set to the folder where you installed the AmiKit itself. And, if not set otherwise, you cannot access any other paths or partitions from the AmiKit enviroment.

However there is "Add PC drives at startup" option enabled by default in AmiKit/WinUAE settings (regardless whether the hardfile or folders are used) which makes the Windows partitions visible in AmiKit desktop. If you want to make sure your Windows files keep intact, disable this feature.

What about viruses? I would be relaxed. If you browse internet or manipulate files in AmiKit environment, you cannot be infected by any known or unknown Windows virus. Simply the Windows virus cannot get activated in Amiga environment.

Fragmentation? Yes, that might be the drawback compared to hardfile alternative. Maybe you can install the AmiKit on a separate partition to avoid the fragmentation?

Anyway, storing the AmiKit files in Windows folders has some advantages compared to hardfile IMHO, eg. you can always access the AmiKit files without the need to start the emulation itself (this is something what manual AmiKit updates do if necessary).

If you prefer the hardfile anyway, here's a guide how to convert AmiKit to hardfile.

Author Bartekxyz
Partaker
#3 Posted: 22 Dec 2008 18:07 
Thanx for very fast answer. You make a great job with AmiKIT. It's complete amiga enviroment,free of bugs and completely configured. And it's much faster than my Amiga 1200:D Keep it up mate

Author Bartekxyz
Partaker
#4 Posted: 27 Dec 2008 16:51 
Hello again. Under DOpus when I check disk information it does not show percentage of usage of amiga files but percentage of all files on real partition. So on my PC under DOpus it shows approx 150gb used of 300gb available so apparently opus reads mft table of real disk. What if I format amikit partition? Would it format my real partition or clean mft table? When i realized that partition folder isn't completely isolated from real partition and has acces to mft I felt somehow uncomfortable

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 28 Dec 2008 01:26 
Yes, I can see that on my system too. The empty and used space information reflects the parameters of the real Windows partition - which is correct, IMHO, because these parameters (such as empty space left) are valid for emulated AmiKit partition as well.

Anyway, I tried to format the AmiKit: partition in DOpus. It did not work. Both AmiKit and Windows partitions are intact.

Author Toni Wilen
#6 Posted: 28 Dec 2008 11:21 
Directory harddrive does not have low level access to the disk. Formatting is impossible. (of course emulation could process "format filesystem" packet as "delete all files and directories one by one" but that would be stupid..)

It shows whole partition's free and used space because it is the only possible choice. (and if you give full path to Windows free space routine you will always get whole partition's used and free size anyway..)

Ccounting used space of whole directory tree would take too long and total free space would be incorrect.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Can AmiKit mess my partition on windows side?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑