AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

What kind of Icons?

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#1 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 05:10 
What kind of Icons are best for AmikitOS?

NewIcons?
GlowIcons"
PNG Icons?
other?

There are so many kinds of icons.... I am confused.

Which types of icons look terrible on AmikitOS?
So far it seems that all my OS1.3 icons and MagicWorkbench icons look awful.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 08:34 Edited by: AmiKit 
By default AmiKit contains DualPNG icon set painted by Ken Lester. The icons are beautiful and supports two-state images. The only drawback is that they are bigger in size and load a bit slower.

AmiKit also supports classic PNG icons (which might be processed faster).

AmiKit also supports GlowIcons (and probably NewIcons as well). They are not so beautiful. Use them if you think the current DualPNG icons are loading too slow.

With regards to the Magic Workbench icons, I think they need certain palette set (first 8 colors or first 4 and last 4 colors) to be displayed right. You can use SYS:Prefs/Fullpalette to set such a palette and lock it.

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#3 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 08:47 
My game comes with icons for the .readme file, the docs, the drawers for each language, etc. They look terrible on Amikit but halfway ok for unpatched OS 3.0 users. Those are the only icons I want to replace for SuperDuper AmikitOS version of the game.

I don't want to replace my "workbench" icons.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 08:52 Edited by: AmiKit 
Ken Lester can paint the DualPNG icons for you if you ask him nicely

Author ChaosLord
Partaker
#5 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 09:11 
Well hmmm... I didn't want to burden anyone.... I just thought there were some good default predrawn ones somewhere?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 4 Dec 2008 09:52 
Or you can simply take any PNG picture and rename the suffix from .png to .info and you have the PNG icon!

Author asymetrix
Partaker
#7 Posted: 7 Dec 2008 19:42 
hi

I made a png and renamed it with .info and all I got was a project icon.

What resolution size does the png need to be ?

transperency ?

cheers, asy

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 9 Dec 2008 11:17 Edited by: AmiKit 
It works here. I just tried to add .info suffix to 576x378 PNG file and the image showed up as an icon. Make sure your source file is PNG. You can right-click eg. JPG file and select "Convert to PNG". That's what I did.

Author asymetrix
Partaker
#9 Posted: 9 Dec 2008 19:06 
hi

thanks for the tip.

its working, but when i click icon it just turns gray. how do I make a glowicon or duel png icon ?

cheers, asy

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 10 Dec 2008 00:35 
I have no idea, sorry. Maybe klesterjr can help here?

Author klesterjr
#11 Posted: 10 Dec 2008 13:29 
@asymetrix

I made a png and renamed it with .info and all I got was a project icon.

I'd guess you used a 256 color PNG image. It only works correctly with 32bit PNG images.

its working, but when i click icon it just turns gray. how do I make a glowicon or duel png icon ?

Sounds like you only have one image. If the PNG only contains one image, then it grays (sort of) to indicate that it's been selected.

A "DualPNG" is created by joining two 32bit PNG images together. The first image being the normal state and the second image being the selected state. The icons glow because I paint them that way.

The format is something like this:

join image1.png image2.png to icon.info

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Author asymetrix
Partaker
#12 Posted: 10 Dec 2008 14:06 
Hi

Thanks so much fo rthe info.

Just the info I needed.

cheers, asy

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 What kind of Icons?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑