AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Need Help with Setup after Install

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author scrapser
Partaker
#1 Posted: 21 Apr 2008 04:07 
I just got Amikit and purchased Amiga Forever Premium. I downloaded and installed Amiga Forever first, then Amikit and the 1.4.6 update. I can start the emulation but cannot figure out how to get any of the game files I have to run. These are ADF files (i.e., ZOOOM.adf) which most of the files I have are listed. I also have a few HDF files.

I know that you usually go to set up and point the floppy drive to the file location, then reboot but that doesn't work. Amikit doesn't boot properly...same thing with the HDF files.

I think I need to get familiar with how this program is intended to be used, including using WHDLoad which I also downloaded but can't figure out how to use. The website talks about a script but I can't find it.

Is there anyone who would be willing to start a dialog with me to help walk me through the steps I need to get up to speed? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 21 Apr 2008 09:49 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello Scrapser.

With regards to ADF games, there are two solutions how to play them.

1) The first one is to run WinUAE, configure it to A500 or A1200 specifications (depending on the game you want to run), specify the path to ROM file (in "WinUAE/ROM" section) and the ADF files (in "WinUAE/Floppy drives"). If everything is configured correctly the WinUAE starts your game directly. Note that you don't need AmiKit at all for this solution.

2) The other solution is to run AmiKit. WHDLoad is already installed there. All you need is to download correct installer for the given game from http://www.whdload.de/download.html, unpack it to eg. RAM: (check the Tutorial videos for more info) and start the installer. When it asks you for the game disk (ADF), press F12 and specify it in "WinUAE/Floppy drives" section. Then press OK to get back to AmiKit. The disk will appear in AmiKit system. The installer should recognize it and process it. Once all the disks are processed the game is ready to play in a given location of your HDD. Just doubleclick its icon.

With regards to mounting another HDF file into AmiKit config, it works, of course. Add such a file in "WinUAE/Hard" drives section using the "Add Hardfile..." button. Some HDF might have higher boot priority than AmiKit itself and AmiKit won't boot. If that is the case simply uncheck the "Bootable" option when adding the hardfile.

Author wiser3
Partaker
#3 Posted: 21 Apr 2008 15:19 
For WHDLoad games there is an even easier way. Goto Killer Gorilla and download some game packs. These game packs include games that have already been set up (step 2 of previous post) to use WHDLoad.

All you have to do is download the packs, and unarchive them somewhere that AmiKit can get to the files (which is almost anywhere). In AmiKit double click the icon of the game you want to play. When your done playing press F10 or the * key on calculator pad to return to AmiKit.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#4 Posted: 21 Apr 2008 15:40 Edited by: scrapser 
Wow...sounds much easier than I anticipated. Thanks for the help.

I was an early adopter of Amiga (bought my A500 in 1987). I used it until 1994 when I reluctantly moved over to a Gateway Pentium 450 with a 50 meg hard drive!

I used AIAB a few years ago but stopped emulating for a while. Now I'm back and see there have been several changes. I'm excited about the Amikit and getting back into my Amiga games and such.

I should add that I cannot view the tutorials. I have WinXP and the Media Player does not recognized AVI files. I try to avoid using Quicktime so if this is the only alternative then I guess I'll have to install it.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 21 Apr 2008 22:19 Edited by: AmiKit 
I should add that I cannot view the tutorials. I have WinXP and the Media Player does not recognized AVI files. I try to avoid using Quicktime so if this is the only alternative then I guess I'll have to install it.

Don't install Quicktime. It is enough to install additional codecs. For example KLCodec is very good. I use it myself. It also contains a fast and simple to use Media Player Classic replacement.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#6 Posted: 22 Apr 2008 01:40 
I installed the codec and watched the tutorials. I must be getting old...I can't figure out how to do simple tasks. I can't find anything to browse folders and files so I can move them to ram for example. I've been using Windows too long.

I see a hard drive called VIAO. How is that created? And once created, how do I move the LHA files there from the WHDLoad site so I can unpack them? The LHA files seem really small compared to the original game disks. I wish there was a manual on how to use everything. I'm just groping around at this point.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#7 Posted: 22 Apr 2008 03:20 
All you have to do is download the packs, and unarchive them somewhere that AmiKit can get to the files (which is almost anywhere).

I have the packs I'd like to load but have no idea how to unarchive them or even see them from AmiKit. I can't find anything that even remotely looks like a file folder browser (like Windows Explorer).

In Windows, I created a folder under AmiKit titled Games and unzipped a game there. But I can't figure out how to see that same folder in AmiKit. The tutorials show a window open where the pointer is dragging files to the RAM volume. I can't figure out how to open that window.

I had a SCSI hard drive when I had my original Amiga and would copy programs onto it so I didn't have keep loading floppies. I'd like to do the same thing here but realize not all games can be loaded as hard drive files.

But right now I can't do the most simple thing which is browse for files and move them where I want.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#8 Posted: 22 Apr 2008 04:50 
Okay...I think I figured out how to create a new archive volume and have it mounted when AmiKit starts up. I can now double click on the icon and see the files there.

I started the game and got the splash intro but the game will not run past that. When I hit escape, it says I need to register WHDLoad! It looks like I need to slow down the computer speed too.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 22 Apr 2008 09:31 
The WHDLoad is shareware. This means it always displays the splash screen when some game is launched. Simply wait till the whole message is displayed and the game will run.

For more information please refer to WHDLoad manual at www.whdload.de and/or check the following sites:
http://ale.emuunlim.com/guides/guides.shtml
http://www.tweakguides.com/Amiga_1.html
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/uae_faq.html

Author scrapser
Partaker
#10 Posted: 22 Apr 2008 16:09 
Thanks for your reply. As I said, the game does run but will not go past its own splash screen (the game is Zoom). I see the WHDLoad messages you described and then the game's splash screen appears. As soon as I hit the ESC key to go past the game's splash screen, I get the message that WHDLoad is not registered. I tried another game (Virus) and it works fine, so I think it must have something to do with the (Zoom) game files.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#11 Posted: 23 Apr 2008 02:12 
2) The other solution is to run AmiKit. WHDLoad is already installed there. All you need is to download correct installer for the given game from http://www.whdload.de/download.html, unpack it to eg. RAM: (check the Tutorial videos for more info) and start the installer. When it asks you for the game disk (ADF), press F12 and specify it in "WinUAE/Floppy drives" section. Then press OK to get back to AmiKit. The disk will appear in AmiKit system. The installer should recognize it and process it. Once all the disks are processed the game is ready to play in a given location of your HDD. Just doubleclick its icon.

I'm sorry to be taking up your time. If someone else can assist that would be appreciated. I quoted the above text because it demonstrates part of the problem. I don't know very much about what I'm doing and the instructions above assume I do.

I created a new volume (AK1) on the hard drive section of the config screen and pointed it to a folder where I unzipped the WHDLoad versions of two games. Once I launch AmiKit, I can see the volume, double click on it to open, and then double click on the directory of the game. From there I double click on the game name which has a size of 0 and it starts up.

There is no request for an ADF disk. No icon is installed. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I went to the WHDLoad site to read the manual but cannot find it. There are roughly 25 links in English for various documents but they all discuss programming WHDLoad. There's nothing there about how to "use" the application as far as I can see. Even the Installation link is useless. It just says to run the script. Where is the script????

The tutorials are not very useful as there is no sound, no explanation of what you are seeing. You have to guess what's going on as two windows are already open and I have no idea where they came from.

I'm really sorry I don't know more about using this program. I'm just groping around at this point.

Thanks.

Author scrapser
Partaker
#12 Posted: 23 Apr 2008 02:26 
Another question....

If I need to slow down the system to run like an A500, AmiKit doesn't boot. Instead I just get the insert workbench screen. Does this mean AmiKit cannot emulate the A500?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#13 Posted: 25 Apr 2008 17:21 Edited by: AmiKit 
Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a while.

If I need to slow down the system to run like an A500, AmiKit doesn't boot. Instead I just get the insert workbench screen. Does this mean AmiKit cannot emulate the A500?

AmiKit doesn't support A500. In fact, you don't need AmiKit if you want to play A500 games. Like I mentioned before, simply set the WinUAE to A500 config, specify the path to A500 ROM, specify the path to ADF representing the A500 game and start the emulation. It should work.

With regards to the access to your files. If you have downloaded them using the Windows, simply place them to the AmiKit folder structure, eg. C:\Program Files\AmiKit\AmiKit\YourFolder. Then, in AmiKit desktop, simply doubleclick an empty area of desktop and the window should pop up with all the available drives listed. Select AmiKit: and then YourFolder

Or, in AmiKit, you can access whatever file outside the AmiKit. Simply doubleclick the disk icon on your AmiKit desktop. For example WinDH_C represents your Windows C drive while WinDH_D icon represents your Windows D drive. The same way you can access RAM disk, simply doubleclick its icon located in upper-left corner of AmiKit desktop.

I think that with regards to these basic AmigaOS questions (which are not very AmiKit specific, actually) you can get much more information (and responses as well) if you post at general Amiga forums like www.amiga.org and/or www.amigaworld.net Try it!

Author scrapser
Partaker
#14 Posted: 25 Apr 2008 20:27 
Thank you so much for laying things out for me. I will take things from here and get up to speed on using the system.

Author Kenan
Partaker
#15 Posted: 13 Mar 2009 00:50 Edited by: Kenan 
Hello guys!

I've been reading this thread over and over again but I still have a problem with step 2 AmiKit posted.
Thing is, I extract the LHA archive into ram and start the install process, but once I get to the Floppy/ADF part, and go back to AmiKit OS, the icon Appeares (df0:NONDOS) and when I proceed with the image creation it just freezes and nothing happens?

I'm using the ADF files downloaded from Killer Gorilla..maybe they're not matching the LHA archive?

One more question, where can I get the WHD versions of the games?

Thanks in advance,

Kenan

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Need Help with Setup after Install

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑