AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Amistart

Author mmace
Partaker
#1 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 22:28 
How do I add a game on my HDD to the games menu?

also, while trying I've lost the icon for the "games" bit, can you tell me where to find the info file please?

cheers

Author mmace
Partaker
#2 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 22:37 
oh dear!

now I've just tried dragging the Icon onto the cats eye logo, the taskbar is now twice as high as it was and there's no icon there (so can't delete it!)

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 22:46 Edited by: AmiKit 
How do I add a game on my HDD to the games menu?

Simply open the AmiStart menu where you want to put the icon in, and grab the game's icon from it's window to the AmiStart menu. If the icon of the game is too large, press and hold down the right-mouse button over the icon and select "Small".

also, while trying I've lost the icon for the "games" bit, can you tell me where to find the info file please?

Hold down the right-mouse button over the entry and select "Settings". Insert the following path into the "Icon" input box:
icons_extended/Phantom/Games

Note that all your AmiStart changes are saved automatically. If you want to save the changes manually, open any AmiStart menu, hold down the right-mouse button over any entry and deselect "Auto-Save Preferences".

For more information please check the AmiStart guide at AmiKit:Utilities/EXPANSION/AmiStart/

If you want to revert to the default settings, rename the sm.prefs_bak to sm.prefs (but keep the original sm.prefs_bak file somewhere in case you need to revert to the default settings again).

Author mmace
Partaker
#4 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 22:56 
the game won't go into there, it just writes over other icons for other games

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 23:15 Edited by: AmiKit 
Oh, I found what's wrong.

Usually the games consist of the the game's executable file and corresponding .info file (icon), for example:

game
game.info

If you are in Icon mode and drag&drop such an icon to AmiStart, the game is added to the AmiStart menu.

However the games installed by WHDLoad don't contain the executable, just the .info file. While it still works if such an icon is doublecliked, the AmiStart interpret the things differently. It thinks you just want to replace the icon. This is because you actually drag&drop the icon file only. In this case create a new entry in AmiStart menu first: press and hold the right-mouse button and select New -> Command. Then configure the entry. Check how the Deluxe Galaga is configured in AmiStart. It's WHDLoad game too:

Title: Deluxe Galaga
Icon: SYS:Games/DeluxeGalaga/DeluxeGalaga
Application: SYS:Games/DeluxeGalaga/DeluxeGalaga

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Amistart

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑