AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Run from USB?

Author mmace
Partaker
#1 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 14:35 
Hi, I'm new to this, but I'm wanting to know if I can run everything from a USB stick?
I'm wanting to be able to run this at work as well as on 2 home PC's but want any changes I make to go with me

can anyone tell me how to do this?

I cannot install anything on my work PC but I can run things on there (for example I use a portable version of photoshop, dreamweaver, powerDVD & nero, it doesn't install anything but I can still run them)

thanks in advance for any help

Author wiser3
Partaker
#2 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 14:54 
I have AmiKit running happily from my USB stick. I use it at work, where i also can't install stuff, and at friends houses.

I did have one little problem getting it to work. Read this thread for the fix:
http://amikit.amiga.sk/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=39 2

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 15:30 Edited by: AmiKit 
All you need is to copy the already-installed AmiKit folder (eg. C:\Program Files\AmiKit\) from your home PC to USB flash disk. Then you should be able to run AmiKit.exe launcher from USB. Or you can run WinUAE.exe (located in AmiKit\WinUAE folder), load the AmiKit config and run it if the launcher doesn't work.

The step by step guide can be found in this PDF document: Optimizing the AmiKit.
Note that the document is almost a year old which means you don't need to install any cumulative updates. The current full AmiKit version available for download is v1.4.0

I would strongly recommend to convert AmiKit directory structure to a hardfile before you copy AmiKit to USB. This is because the directory files access is slow (especially on USB) while hardfile is MUCH faster with regards to Read/Write operations. Here's the guide on how to do it.

Author mmace
Partaker
#4 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 15:51 
that's brilliant, cheers guys

will I be able to load up any ADF's without installing anything too?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#5 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 15:55 Edited by: AmiKit 
Yes, simply doubleclick the ADF files in AmiKit environment. Note that if you want play ADF games only you don't need AmiKit at all. It is enough to run WinUAE.exe, insert the ADF images to its virtual drives, set up the correct config for the game and that's it.

For more info check this thread.

Author mmace
Partaker
#6 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 21:47 
sorry for being stupid, what do you mean by "in AmiKit environment"?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 31 Jan 2008 22:08 
In AmiKit it is possible to doubleclick the ADF file. Then the requester pops up and let you mount the ADF and read the content of it.

Author mmace
Partaker
#8 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 00:53 
cheers, got it installed and running on my home PC, works great (better than Amiga Forever I bought ages ago!)

will have a go at getting it on USB tomorrow

what do I point the UAE settings to as they are currently C:\program files... etc but when it's on the USB it will have a different drive letter in each PC

Author AmiKit
Admin
#9 Posted: 1 Feb 2008 09:34 
There should not be any path problems because the paths are set relatively, not absolutely. This means the AmiKit settings do not contain the full path to required files and it should run from any location providing you keep the directory structure intact. Simply run AmiKit.exe launcher and it should work.

The path settings have to be modified only in case you convert the directory structure to the hardfile. The guide (the link is mentioned above) covers this situation.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Run from USB?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑