AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

AmiKit Launcher EXE? Benefits lost by not using??

Author liontech2002
Partaker
#1 Posted: 12 Jan 2008 19:25 
I recently had a virus on my PC that I could not even manually delete all the files and no antivirus software helped either. So I took the opportunity and repartitioned and reinstalled the whole system. However I had a USB2 external hard drive with every important thing in a seperate 7zip file. So I lost nothing by doing this.

Anyway, the point is that when I reinstalled everything (I had from day one put AmiKit on an SFS HDF) I updated to the newest WinUAE and just created a custom configuration for each Amiga HDF I run including AmiKit. Instead of using the AmiKit.exe file though I just created a shortcut using the command line option from AmiKit.ini to directly boot.

So the question is, are those settings at the end of the AmiKit.ini really needed for any of the Amiga side features to work? I have not run into anything I want to do that doesn't work, so I guess you can just tell me what those settings do and I can decide if it matters. I also run Amiga HDF files for a custom Amiga project I did myself and for AmiSys3+ ...

Everything seems to be fine, I was just interested in knowing why you made a launcher program for AmiKit and what it actually does to enhance the functionality of the setup???

Peace

Eric

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 12 Jan 2008 23:12 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi Eric and thanks for your interest.

The launcher was primary created to make the launching of AmiKit more easy and automatic so the new users do not need to mess with WinUAE configuration entries.

Another purpose of the launcher is to set a path to installed Amiga Forever files ("AFOnlineFle" argument in AmiKit.ini). This is required if you run AmiKit for the first time and select "Amiga Forever" as the source of the system files for AmiKit.

The launcher also sets the path to Windows directory so the TrueType fonts can be imported to AmiKit during its first run ("WinPath" argument in AmiKit.ini). This is also required when AmiKit is started for the first time and before the system files are imported.

Once the AmiKit is completely installed, the launcher doesn't provide any major extra feature:

It just checks whether the WinUAE version is high enough (the "WinUAEver" argument, v1.4 is minimum).

The launcher is also able to check for the presence of newer WinUAE version installed in system and if found it uses it instead of the one included with AmiKit. However this feature ("WinUAECheck" argument) is disabled in AmiKit 1.4 as some WinUAE versions contained a path bug that prevented this feature to work correctly).

The launcher also checks for the AmiKit volume name ("ForbSysNames" argument). Certain names might produce unexpected problems so if one of them is used the launcher refuses to start AmiKit.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 AmiKit Launcher EXE? Benefits lost by not using??

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑