AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 191 [17 Oct 2019 17:54]
Guests - 191 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Adding Icons?

Author Hallie Miles
Partaker
#1 Posted: 13 Aug 2007 22:28 
It's been too many years since I've been able to use my Amiga and I've forgotten how to do a few things

1) How do I add icons to files and drawers? There isn't an option from the menus, Magellan doesn't seem to have a button for it, and whoever set up DOpus 4 changed the configuration and it's not available there anymore.

2) How do I completely replace that space picture that's used as a backdrop when Workbench loads? I've tried the directions I found here, but all that does is substitute my wallpaper after WB has loaded, not while it's booting up. I really, really don't like that purpley-blue thing that's there.

Thanks in advance --
Hallie

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 00:19 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and welcome to the forum!

1) In Magellan, select the files you want to add the icons to, and press the "down arrow" sign located somewhere at the top-right corner of the window (a "lister" in Magellan's language). The "Add Icons" entry should be there. The appropriate icons will be created according to the file's type.

You're right, such an entry has disappeared from DOpus4, somehow. But you can add it by yourself easily. Press the "C" button (located at the down-right corner) to open the config window, press the "Buttons" button, select empty button, select "new entry" and enter "AddIcon" command. Name the button as well and save the config.

2) Edit the startup-sequence to disable the booting picture. Simply use the task bar, enter the Tools -> System menu and select "Startup-Sequence" entry. Find the following command:

SYS:Utilities/Expansion/ShowAmiga96/Bin/ShowAmiga96_Rev239C18

and put the semi-colon in front of it so it will look like this:

;SYS:Utilities/Expansion/ShowAmiga96/Bin/ShowAmiga96_Rev239C18

and save the changes. (The error requester might appear informing you that the startup-sequence file is locked but you can ignore the message. The changes are saved anyway.)

Author Hallie Miles
Partaker
#3 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 01:24 
Thanks for the swift reply

I did try to reconfigure DOpus 4 to add the function back in, but somehow I could never seem to get it to work; I did just as you suggested, got back to the interface, selected my files, pressed the button - then, nothing. It unselected my files but didn't add the icons. Very frustrating, especially considering I used to be able to do all of this stuff in my sleep when I had my 2000 up and running.

Again, thanks!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 01:54 Edited by: AmiKit 
It works here, it's just I did not explain the steps exactly, I think.

When you enter the Button config window of the DOpus4, click the empty button, for example the one at the most down-right area. Then press "New Entry" button, click the LUPE and select "AddIcon" command, press Enter. Give the button a name so everything will look like in this screenshot. Click Okay and you should be able to see something like in this screenshot. As you can see, the "AddIcon" button is assigned to the second part of the button bank located bellow the first part. This means that these buttons are accessible with right-mouse buttons. Simply select your files and press the right-mouse over the "Assign" button and the right-mouse command will be executed, which is the "AddIcon" in our case.

Author Hallie Miles
Partaker
#5 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 05:15 
Okay, got it - I was using the AddIcon {F} argument for the command and also using the "Do All Files" and "Rescan Source" flags; no wonder it wasn't working! It now works as it should. It wasn't your explanation, it was my my 15 year old memories

I also got the planet picture to not load during boot. Now all I get is a grey screen. I prefer that over what was the default, but is there a way for me to use my picture file instead of the planet, or do I just need to wait for it to load up later as it now does?

Sorry to be such a pest; I remember most of the basics, but since I don't use them on a daily basis anymore as I used to, a lot of the intermediate things have just gone out of my head.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and especially, thanks for letting me have such a nice Amiga again!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 10:54 Edited by: AmiKit 
No problem, don't hesitate to ask more question. I remember I had the similar difficulties when I got back to Amiga after a long delay too.

With regards to the boot picture, you can use your own, of course. Enable the command in startup-sequence again and use the AmiKit:Prefs/ShowAmiga96_Prefs preferences program. It allows you to add some cool visual effects to your picture as well. Just ensure your boot picture has exactly the same size as your desktop screen mode. Otherwise the boot process won't be smooth and takes longer because of necessary screen mode switches, you know.

One more thing, you can always press PageDown key (which represents the HELP key on real Amiga) to invoke the appropriate help guide. For example press it when the ShowAmiga96_Prefs program is active and its help guide should appear. This should work with most of the programs included with AmiKit. If not, check the help files in AmiKit:Locale/Help/English folder.

Author Hallie Miles
Partaker
#7 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 21:59 
I think my biggest problem is that when I had the 2000 it was my system, and I added programs gradually after I looked them over, read about them in the magazines and online, and knew what they were supposed to do. With AmiKit, it's your system, and there are a lot of unfamiliar programs included.

For example, I've added my WHDLoad games as a drive, but when I open up windows and look at the icons I have a mix of three or four different ones, and all in different styles. I used to have a program installed that I could run that would go through, check which icon was being used for the drawer, and change them all to the same image. I don't know what program is used for that in AmiKit, and I don't like to mess around with them too much as I don't know what the consequences are; I really don't want to have to reinstall the whole thing just because I trashed out my icons. That's the problem I had with changing my backdrop - I'm used to going to Prefs, opening WBPattern, and just changing the picture there, but it didn't work anymore, and I didn't know which program was over-riding my selection.

I think if someone could go through and make a text file that gave a short, concise description of all of the add-on programs and what they were for it would make the transition back into the Amiga much easier. For example, just in the Prefs folder, what is BGUI? How is it different from the GUI pref program? What about MUI? They seem to have selections for the same things (buttons, sliders, strings, etc.) How are the different? How do they interact with each other?

Don't get me wrong; I really like AmiKit - I think it's the best WinUAE enhancement available. I like how it's set up, and I like how it runs. I appreciate all of the hard work that's gone into it and that it's been made available at no cost. But I also think that it's a bit confusing for someone who doesn't have a recent background with the Amiga; my initial experience with computers was exclusively Commodore (C64 and Amiga) until around 1996 - I think I have a handle on the basics of the machine. Since then I've been out of the scene and don't know anything about developments to the system, and I've not had any luck in finding any websites that deal with using an Amiga. What I have found has either been the history of the Amiga, retro-gaming, or people involved with the current iteration of the system. I just think that if there was some information about the programs included with this distribution it would make it a lot easier to use.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 22:47 Edited by: AmiKit 
Well, I know exactly what you mean, Hallie. Even though I tried to make everything as easy as possible to use I have to admit the AmiKit must be confusing for someone who haven't touched Amiga for such a long time. And it must be even more difficult for non-Amiga people. Your feedback is very much appreciated because I already lost an idea how the AmiKit might effect on newcomers. I tried my best to explain many issues on website or here on forum (which is the amount of work almost comparable to creating the AmiKit itself) but like I said I have to admit all the mentioned information are intended for semi-advanced users, you're right.

I hope the following information and links will help to you and to other guys in the similar situation.

If you have any question regarding Amiga, don't hesitate to join the following forums:

http://www.amigans.net/
http://www.amigaworld.net/
http://www.amiga.org/

With regards to the short description of various programs included with AmiKit, either look at the AmiKit:Locale/Help/English folder for help files or check the home folder of the appropriate programs. Also you can try to type the name of the program into the search section of the following site:

http://aminet.net/

There you can find a short description of the programs (the most of the software included in AmiKit were downloaded from there).

Also please check the FAQ and Knowledge Base of AmiKit website.

With regards to your specific questions. I do not understand your WHDLoad problem much. Anyway, if you use the "Add Icons" entry in Magellan, the icons are added automatically according to the file's type (drawer, picture, library, etc.). You can also use CopyIcon program (located in taskbar -> Tools section) to clone icons. Simply drag&drop the source icon to left window and then drag&drop the icon(s) you want to overwrite to the right window. (Due to Magellan's refresh bug, you have to re-enter the folder of the changed icons to see the effect, otherwise the old icons are still displayed).

The backdrop picture can be changed in Magellan settings. The original AmiKit:Prefs/WBPattern doesn't work because the Magellan is used as a Workbench replacement, you know. The exact steps how to change the background in Magellan are mentioned in FAQ.

BGUI is simply another GUI system, similar to MUI. It doesn't interfere with the other GUI systems. Certain programs (such as MakeCD, I think) use the BGUI for their GUI. The BGUI preferences program is intended to change the look of such a programs.

Author Hallie Miles
Partaker
#9 Posted: 14 Aug 2007 23:34 
I thank you for your assistance; I appreciate it very much.

I think what it's going to take is just for me to jump back in and get my hands dirty with the system again and not worry about messing things up. That's the way I learned it in the first place, and I think that's the best way to relearn it.

Once again, thanks for all your help, and keep up the good work!

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Adding Icons?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑