AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

AmiKit or AIAB?

Author mingle
Partaker
#1 Posted: 23 Feb 2007 06:45 
Hi,

I recently came across the old (June 2005) "Amiga in a Box" config for WinUAE and had great fun tinkering with a modern-looking Amiga desktop... (I previously used a WB3.0 Amiga 1200). The only thing that put me off AIAB a bit was the seemingly vast number of OS 'patches' and enhancers that it seemed to be running (ScalOS, MCP, Magic Menu, etc, etc).

I've now just found AmiKit... What I'd like to know is, is it any better than AIAB and does it need to run as many patches as AIAB to get a nice looking workbench?

Is there any other way than running such a large number of OS 'enhancers' to get a decent looking and functional Workbench?

Cheers,

Mike
(mingle)

Author klesterjr
#2 Posted: 23 Feb 2007 13:47 
Is there any other way than running such a large number of OS 'enhancers' to get a decent looking and functional Workbench?

Not really.

AIAB is a lean, clean install of AmigaOS3.1. It boots fast, and looks great -- it's Cat-i icons are arguably the best looking GlowIcon-inspired icons available for AmigaOS at the moment (until I get done repainting AmiKit, that is!).

If you're unhappy with the number of patches on AIAB, then don't bother with AmiKit. AIAB is a basic system, while AmiKit is more like a full featured Linux distribution that comes preconfigured with just about every freely available application & utility available.

AmigaOS 3.x is very dated visually -- both compilations benefit from a LOT of patches to make them look as good as they do.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 AmiKit or AIAB?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑