AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Begin Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 605 [18 Apr 2019 18:52]
Guests - 605 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

How to install software?

Author sez
Partaker
#1 Posted: 7 Feb 2007 20:28 
I just finished reading On the Edge and decided I wanted to try an Amiga firsthand (my roommate had one in college, but I never paid much attention to it at that time).

I have AmiKit running, but I must have some kind of mental block (or bad previous experience) with installing software (from aminet or other sources). It can't be hard, but yet I cannot do it.

Anything that doesn't have an installer (like the insanely funny MindGuard--http://zapatopi.net/mindguard) runs fine if I double-click on the executable. If I download something that has an installer (usually a script--if I double-click on it, I can read the script in an editor), I can't figure out how to run the installer. Double-clicking gives me an editor. Navigating to the directory on the command line and running Execute Installer gives me stuff like:
(set: Unknown command
(set failed returncode 10

If I want to install something new on AmiKit (or any Amiga), how would I do it?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 7 Feb 2007 21:07 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hello and welcome to Amiga.

Some of the programs do not need to be installed at all and run just fine from any directory. Some of the programs need to be installed manually (according to their readme or guide files). And finally, there are programs provided with an installer.

There are two possibilities how to launch the Amiga programs:

1) by double-clicking the program icon (this method is called "calling programs from Workbench").

2) by typing the program name into AmigaDOS window ("calling from Shell")

If you open any drawer in AmiKit, the button number 2 (as shown here) switches between these two modes.

If you are in Icon mode or Icon Action Mode (contains the toolbar on top of the window), you see graphical icons. Only files with icons are displayed (eg. "PhaseOne!.info" file is the icon of "PhaseOne!" executable file). Double-click the icon to launch the appropriate program.

Or use the button number 2 (or press the right mouse over the window bar) to switch the view to Name mode. Any item double-clicked through this Name mode will be executed as it was typed in AmigaDOS.

So, if you was in Name mode and you double-clicked the installer file, the file was opened in editor because the file is a text actually. However this file has an icon (named eg. installer.info) which contains additional information on how to run the file itself. To run the installer correctly, simply switch to Icon mode and double-click its icon.

You might also want to look at the Tutorial Videos.

Author sez
Partaker
#3 Posted: 8 Feb 2007 14:54 
Thanks for the help!!

I think I was having this difficulty because of Directory Opus Magellan's dual-mode viewing. I was looking at it like KDE's (or Windows Exploder) View Modes feature--i.e., icon view, detailed view, etc. It's a little bit different.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 How to install software?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑