AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Real amiga floppy drive on a pc - with amikitx ?

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#1 Posted: 28 Dec 2017 11:22 
(AmiKit X 10.4.1, DOpus, Win7 32Bit, Intel Core2Duo, 2,33Ghz, 4GB Ram, 1920x1200)

Hi,
Can AmiKit X work with a real Amiga floppy disk drive (hardware), if that Amiga floppy disk drive is connected to/works on a PC, that runs AmiKit X on Windows 7 ?

Example:
I want to use real Amiga floppy disks with real Amiga programs/games on the disks,
but using my AmiKitX PC setup, to read the Amiga floppydisks in a working Amiga floppy drive, not PC floppydisks in a Pc floppy drive..

Thanks

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#2 Posted: 28 Dec 2017 11:46 
... Or if I use a PC floppydrive to read real Amiga floppy disks, in the PC floppy drive on a Windows PC,
if something like a floppy controller/converter is installed in the PC, to allow Amiga disks in the PC floppy drive,
something like the CatWeasel hardware:
http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=842

Do you think that AmiKitX can access/see/register the Amiga disk, that is inside the PC floppy drive on PC,
so that when a Amiga disk is inserted into the modified PC floppy drive on PC, the floppy disk icon is visible oin the AmiKitX desktop/workbench, so I could click that Amiga floppy icon and DOpus opens a window (in AmiKitX) and shows the files on the AMigadisk in the PC floppy drive ?

Thanks

Author AmiKit
Admin
#3 Posted: 28 Dec 2017 11:53 
Hi,

I have never tried it so I am afraid I cannot help here. Generally it’s about WinUAE, not AmiKit. If WinUAE can see it, AmiKit can see it too. Maybe with “Add PC drives at startup” ?

Author mikettl
Partaker
#4 Posted: 22 Feb 2018 03:02 
Hey guys,

maybe I'm wrong but I mean to remember that an Amiga floppy drive doesn't work on a PC out of the box. This is not related to software but to the hardware, Amiga is not compatible with PC and vice versa. Possibly hacks are already existing, but I don't know yet.

Imho this is not really needed because almost everything is now available in ADF/DMS that can be used in WinUAE. Or is there a specific reason for this approach?

Anyway WinUAE is usually able to use hardware that is connected to the PC when the PC will recognize it. But I doubt that the PC recognize real Amiga hardware.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Real amiga floppy drive on a pc - with amikitx ?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top