AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Customize look of AmiKit (AmigaOS ?)

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#1 Posted: 8 Nov 2017 21:30 Edited by: amikit_noob 
(My system: AmiKit X 10.4.1, Windows 7 32Bit, Default AmiKit X settings)

Hi,

Is it possible to customize the look of AmiKit X desktop, to look more like the
customized AmigaOs3.9 desktops that you see in the links ?

(maybe this is a AmigaOS 3.9 question, but I'm not sure, so I ask here first)

I'm thinking of the bottom "bar" that looks different than in AmiKitX with different colors/icons and with "CPU graphs" / "Harddisk space left" indicators.

Also the various other "bars" in the top or right side of the desktop, "bars" with icons in them.

Custom OS3.9 Links:

(Bottom bar, bars to the right with icons)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_778388_full.png?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

(Indicators/graphs in bottom bar)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_167657_full.png?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

(Classic bottom bar with custom background)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_647515_full.jpg?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

(Bottom bar, top bar, bar to the right)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_251222_full.png?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

(Classic bottom bar)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_123727_full.jpg?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

(Bottom bar, top bar, bar to the right)
https://d2.alternativeto.net/dist/s/amigaos-3-9_148333_full.png?format=jpg&width=1600 &height=1600&mode=min&upscale=false

Thanks
Regards
amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 15 Nov 2017 23:36 Edited by: AmiKit 

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#3 Posted: 16 Nov 2017 07:15 
Hi, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Quick question:
Can I change the small (grey/white/black) "AmiKit" logo/graphic, in the top left corner of the WorkBench ? (I use Scalos).

I tried using AmiLogo, which says you can use your own logo for workbench, but "AmiKit" logo still is displayed.

Thanks
I love AmiKitX, it's so much fun to customize it
amikit_noob

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#4 Posted: 18 Nov 2017 08:12 
Hi,

I wondered if VisualPrefs or Birdie could change the Workbench logo / icon, so

I enabled VisualPrefs and Birdie, through Morpheuz > StartupControl > VisualPrefs,
but where are VisualPrefs and Birdie located in the default DOpus5 settings of AmiKitX ?

Thanks
Regards
amikit_noob

Author alanwall
Partaker
#5 Posted: 18 Nov 2017 18:31 
Well on my AmiKitX install, they are NOT installed so you will have to install yourself
Jan, am I wrong ?

Author alanwall
Partaker
#6 Posted: 18 Nov 2017 18:32 
Well on my AmiKitX install, they are NOT installed so you will have to install yourself
Jan, am I wrong ?

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#7 Posted: 18 Nov 2017 20:00 
Hi alanwall,

I think you are right about VisualPrefs / Birdie not being part of AmiKit installation, I can't find the prefs files in any folders, even after Enabling VisualPrefs in Morpheuz.
But when I did the install of VisualPrefs, AmiKitX said "Already installed" so I aborted my install, but maybe I should just finush the install and try to locate where the programs are being installed, and try and get them working...

Also, trying to get AmiDock to work (downloaded from Aminet), but I cant find the "startup sequence" file that has to be edited, like the guide for AmiDock says (the tutorial found here on AmiKit forum)...

Either way, at this point I'm most interested in learning how to edit/replace the graphic/logo in the Workbench Bar, with my own custom Workbench logo (that's the only thing left I need to customize in my version of AmiKitX /AmigaOS3.9)

amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 18 Nov 2017 20:30 Edited by: AmiKit 
Hi,

the screen bar logo in AmiKit X is provided by AfA_OS by default. To change it is enough to replace the icon files in AmiKit:Prefs/Presets/AmiKit/MorpheuZ/Themes/24bit/actual folder. Look for "ScreenTitle" folders. Just be aware that if you select Blue or Green theme in MorpheuZ, the "actual" folder will be replaced, so better install your new icons to Blue and Green folders too.

Regarding the VisualPrefs and Birdie, you can find them installed in AmiKit:Utilities/EXPANSION folder. If you want to use them instead of AfA_OS, edit the screen bar in VisualPrefs's "GUI" program > System > Bitmaps.

Btw. you can find AmiDock in AmiKit:WBStartup/Disabled folder. It's the latest version - a part of AmigaOS3.9 actually. Aminet probably contains some ancient version from 1991!

Author amikit_noob
Partaker
#9 Posted: 19 Nov 2017 00:14 Edited by: amikit_noob 
Hey, it worked!

I have a custom logo in the Workbench bar now!

As you suggested, I changed the screen bar logo in:

"AmiKit:Prefs/Presets/AmiKit/MorpheuZ/Themes/24bit/actual/40/ScreenTitle/ActiveLeft.i nfo"

1) I renamed a "somename.png" image to "somename.info" in another folder.
2) RightClicked on "ActiveLeft.info" icon in ScreenTitle folder, chose "Information".
3) Dragged the "somename.info" image from another folder. and dropped it right on top of the "ActiveLeft" icon inside the open "Information" window.
The "ActiveLeft" icon inside "Information" window, now changed to the "somename.info" icon, still inside "Information" window.
Clicked Save.
4) Since I didn't know what size icon is used, and just to see that it worked, I copied the new changed "ActiveLeft.info" icon

from "/actual/40/ScreenTitle/ActiveLeft.info"

to both the 31 and 40 folders inside

"/actual/31/"
"/actual/40/"
"/actualx/31/"
"/actualx/40/"
"/blue/31/"
"/blue/40/"
"/green/31/"
"/green/40/"

- just to be covered.

5) Rebooted AmiKitX, and voila! - there's a custom icon/logo in the Workbench.

TIP:
If the "ActiveLeft.info" icon is not the right size in the Workbench, then you may need to resize the original "somename.png" image before making it into a "ActiveLeft.info" icon.

(Open the original "somename.png" icon file in Gimp and resize to the right size of the Workbench height, export as .png in Gimp, then make the new resized "somename.png" into a "ActiveLeft.info" file as shown in this guide)

Then replace the existing "ActiveLeft.info" in "Information" with the new resized "ActiveLeft.info" icon.
And copy the resized "ActiveLeft.info" to the 31 and 40 folders, to make sure the new icon will be used.

Thanks for the help

Screenshot of customized Workbench will be posted later

(The AmiDock is not in my WBStartup disabled folder, since I used AmigaForever and not AmigaOS3.9 CD to install AmiKit, so I guess I have to buy OS3.9 first, if I want AmiDock

Regards
amikit_noob

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Customize look of AmiKit (AmigaOS ?)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top