AmiKit - Your Modern Retro Experience
  Forums Register Reply Search Statistics AmiKit X  QuickGuide  SATISFIED WITH OUR SUPPORT? 
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 287 [27 Apr 2018 00:59]
Guests - 287 / Members - 0
Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /  

Reboot never works

Author fehmi
Partaker
#1 Posted: 22 Oct 2017 17:29 
I know that the reboot problem is mentioned in the quick guide but I am not sure the issue I am having is exactly the same. The guide says that reboot sometimes fails; however, reboot has never worked for me, not even once. I only get a black screen - I do not see 'HALT3' anywhere on the screen.

This is a fresh install of AmiKIT X - fully updated to 10.4.0. Please let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 22 Oct 2017 20:00 
Thanks for the message. Maybe finally someone experiencing the HALT3 regularly so we can debug properly? ;)

Make sure your AmiKit is in WINDOWED mode - in that case you can see red and green disk leds in bottom right corner of WinUAE window. Does it say HALT3 when you reboot and the screen is black?

What’s your host OS? Windows, Mac, Linux? Version? HW?

Thanks!

Author fehmi
Partaker
#3 Posted: 23 Oct 2017 00:16 Edited by: fehmi 
Yes, I do see HALT3 at the right corner of WinUAE windows. At first, I thought that error message was displayed on the Amiga screen itself - sorry about the confusion!

I am running AmiKIT X on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB. My setup is as follows:

i5-4670K
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 970 GTX
Sound Blaster Z
DualShock 4 with Sony DualShock 4 Wireless Adapter

I am not sure whether DS4 could be the culprit here - sometimes turning off DS4 from WinUAE game port settings does the trick and I can reboot just fine. However, there are times this doesn't work - could be just a coincidence.

Please let me know any additional details (or maybe logs?) you may need. It has been years since I last touched AmiKIT or Amiga emulation in general so I can be a bit rusty. Just lead the way and I'll be happy to assist!

Edit: Not sure if it is relevant but there are 4 other sound devices other than the Sound Blaster - 3 monitors (1 HDMI + 2 DVI) and the DS4 sound device. Also, only 1 monitor is turned on even though Windows detect other monitors as display and sound playback devices.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 24 Oct 2017 23:51 
Thanks for the details. First of all please try to change WinUAE configuration to see whether it has any effect.

Start AmiKit launcher and select "Configure". In WinUAE window go to RAM settings and switch Z3 mapping mode to "Automatic". If HALT3 keeps appearing on reboot, quit the emulation and repeat the procedure, but this time select "UAE" . If it doesn't help either, please try "Real".

Author fehmi
Partaker
#5 Posted: 25 Oct 2017 05:25 Edited by: fehmi 
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried all 3 Z3 mapping modes. While I did reboot successfully from time to time, no mode was fail proof - they all failed more than they succeeded. I have also replaced WinUAE executable with the x64 build but it did not seem to make any difference.

Is there anything else I can try?

Author AmiKit
Admin
#6 Posted: 26 Oct 2017 13:17 
Hmmm... can you try different RAM settings?

Click the Advanced Memory Settings, the menu opens, scroll down, select Processor Slot Fast RAM from 128MB to 0.

Next time keep the Slot Fast RAM and add some Motherboard Fast RAM.

Next time decrease Processor Slot Fast RAM to 0 and add some Motherboard Fast RAM.

Alternatively you can try some more combinations with 32-bit Chip RAM enabled.

Thank you for your time!

Author fehmi
Partaker
#7 Posted: 26 Oct 2017 20:21 
Thanks for outlining these steps - I will follow them tonight and then report back.

In the mean time, would it help you troubleshoot if I uploaded my HDF and all relevant config files to Dropbox? Upload speed or cloud storage space is not really an issue.

Author AmiKit
Admin
#8 Posted: 26 Oct 2017 21:02 Edited by: AmiKit 
I think that's not necessary - providing your AmiKit HDF is default one and you haven't installed anything special that would modify your startup-sequence or so.
My wild guess is that the issue is related to HW somehow because while I am experiencing it on my desktop computer from time to time, it never happened on my laptop, you know.
Thanks!

Author fehmi
Partaker
#9 Posted: 27 Oct 2017 05:14 
So I have been tinkering with different RAM settings. Setting Processor Slot Fast RAM to 0 yields the best results - I can usually reboot at least once with this setting. However, it is still not safe-proof and it does fail from time to time. Sometimes I am lucky enough to reboot a 2nd or 3rd time consequently but eventually I get the HALT3 error.

You are correct - I don't believe I installed anything which could interfere with the AmiKIT startup. However, I uploaded a copy of my AmiKIT X folder and e-mailed you the link. Maybe you'd want to have a look at it when you get a chance : )

Let me know if you can think of another setting that could help.

Thanks a bunch!

Author AmiKit
Admin
#10 Posted: 4 Nov 2017 11:49 
Just to let everyone else know, we're working on this and we will post a solution as soon as we found one.

Basic questions, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / Basic questions, I am new here /
 Reboot never works

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

AmiKit Support Forum Powered by Forum Script miniBB ®
↑ Top