Your high-end Amiga!AmiKit turns your PC into high-end Classic Amiga environment! 
Welcome to AmiKit Support Forum!

(Click here for main AmiKit website)
none

Forums Search Register Reply Statistics FAQ  DONATE 
I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here /

Fullscreen or window size of a program

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#1 Posted: 28 Jul 2017 18:04 
Hi,

Can a program or demo, that normally runs in fullscreen, be forced to run in a small window (so I can drag that window around on the AmiKitX desktop, while the demo/program is running) ?

Example:
When I start a random Amiga demo, a DirOpus window/shell tells me to "enter arguments", I tried entering something like 640x480
but that didn't stop the demo from running in fullscreen.

I looked other places on the web, but have not found an answer yet

Any help is appreciated!
Regards
amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#2 Posted: 28 Jul 2017 18:21 
I am afraid that is not possible. The demo has to be specifically made for that. Look for "RTG windowed" demos.

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#3 Posted: 28 Jul 2017 18:30 Edited by: amikit_noob 
Ok, thanks for the quick reply

But how about the screen-dragging feature of AmigaOS, just like PerfectPaint in AmiKitX, that runs fullscreen, but you can switch back to AmiKitX desktop by clicking on the icon in top right corner of AmiKitX..

Is it possible to force any demo/program to use this option, so I could switch between the running fullscreen demo, and the AmiKitX desktop ?

Thanks
amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#4 Posted: 28 Jul 2017 19:21 Edited by: AmiKit 
Like I said, the demo has to be programmed in "system friendly" way... and not many demo programmers do that. Actually it's the last thing you think about when making demos, right?

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#5 Posted: 28 Jul 2017 19:27 
You are right

Demos are stunning in fullscreen

ok, topic closed

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#6 Posted: 29 Jul 2017 11:01 Edited by: amikit_noob 
UPDATE:

I DID IT!

Demos running in a window, that can be dragged/placed where I want on Amiga/AmiKitX desktop, while using other stuff on the Amiga/AmiKitX at the same time!

Screenshot 1440x1050 (proof of concept LOL!)

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GD9XM1V.png

Screenshot shows:

AmiKitX in classic mode (RetroSwitch)
+ A DRAGGABLE WINDOW with AmigaForever inside, running an amiga demo: State Of The Art by Spaceballs
+ SeaMonkey (Firefox clone) browser (Google + YoutubeHD + Twitter + Facebook, etc. NOT HBO/Netflix sadly!)
+ QMMP MusicPlayer streaming internet radio

AmigaForever + SeaMonkey + QMMP are all launched from inside AmiKitX using RabbitHole shortcut to Windows program.

The Classic AmigaOS1.3 skin is applied using WindowBlinds in Windows7.

(Notice the Classic AmigaOS1.3 skin doesn't work on Chrome or Firefox right now, only SeaMonkey!)

HOW TO DO IT:

1) Create a RabbitHole shortcut to AmigaForever (2016 Plus Edition) (Windows program).

The path is:

C:winlaunch >NIL: "C:\Program Files\Cloanto\Amiga Forever\AmigaForever.exe"

FULL GUIDE HERE - ON HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN RABBITHOLE SHORTCUT:
http://forum.amiga.sk/index.php?action=vthread&forum=9&topic=1682#msg7008

2) Make AmigaForever program stay on top of Amiga/AmiKitX using DeskPins (Windows program).

3) (Optional!)....I skinned Windows to look like classic AmigaOS1.3 using WindowBlinds (Windows program) by downloading this AmigaOS1.3 skin file:

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/138/

(click green download button, find skin file on your harddisk, double click the skin file, it's added to WindowBlinds, click "Apply style to desktop" in WindowsBlinds)

Notice 1: This skin will give you a classic "non-amiga" startbar in Windows, but give you the classic AmigaOS1.3 look to window borders!
(Just set Windows to auto-hide the taskbar, then you only see Amiga/AmiKitX and AmigaOS1.3 skin on Windows programs

Notice 2: This skin WILL screw up the Windows 7 Taskbar (you can't access Windows Filemanager through Taskbar icons or through the Windows Startmenu, it's something in this skin that messes with the Taskbar/Startmenu functionality, but if you don't need Windows Taskbar or Windows Filemanager, then it's not a problem! AND you can just remove this skin and restore full functionality to Windows Taskbar/Startmenu again by choosing another skin in WindowBlinds or by using the default Windows look again, if you want to "Unload WindowBlinds" by rightclicking on WindowBlinds icon in taskbar)

4) (Optional!) Set AmiKitX to classic AmigaOS1.3 look using Morpheuz > Retroswitch!

And there it is! A classic AmigaOS1.3 (or default modern Amiga in AmiKitX) with demos in a window on the AMIGAOS desktop, modern browser, modern skinnable mp3/internet radio streaming player, all while still using the other programs on the Amiga!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! hahahaha

I'm so happy about this setup/workaround!

Thank you AmiKitX for allowing this to be possible!

Regards
amikit_noob

Author AmiKit
Admin
#7 Posted: 29 Jul 2017 12:36 
Hahaha, very tricky!

Author amikit_noob
Registered
#8 Posted: 29 Jul 2017 13:48 
Yes, tricky indeed

EDIT:

The AmigaOS1.3 skin file does break alot of Window7 functionality like Save/Open/Export options in Windows programs, so I recommend using the AmigaOS4.1 look skin file in WindowBlinds, to skin your Windows programs:

Download here:
https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/5200/

Double-click file on harddisk, it's added to WindowBlinds, click "Apply style to desktop" button in the WindowBlinds program.

This skin file does not break anything in Windows 7.

Regards
amikit_noob

I have a basic question, I am new here AmiKit Support Forum / I have a basic question, I am new here / Fullscreen or window size of a program Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 123 [22 Apr 2016 12:58]
Guests - 123 / Members - 0